News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Pearl Mimic Pro

Started by Haggis-man, June 23, 2016, 05:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbull26

Quote from: Travis182 on January 23, 2017, 10:40:38 AM
Listen at 21.40..... What the hell is that. People need to stop falling for Rolands marketing man! Digital Snares and Rides don't mean diddly squat when a kit sounds that bad.

Wow your not kidding!  Those sounds are just... terrible.  This just reaffirms that I made the right decisions in buying a 2box module.  My entire Jobeky 2box kit will cost around the same as a TD50 brain... I guess some marketing hype is just that - hype.

espen

First time I watched one minute was enough for me. Now I had to watch this 21.40 moment... LOL! :o ;D

Travis182

Quote from: espen on January 23, 2017, 05:45:50 PM
First time I watched one minute was enough for me. Now I had to watch this 21.40 moment... LOL! :o ;D

:D ;D ;D ;D hahahaha. Don't worry I didn't watch that whole thing, I skipped to see if it got any worse and low and behold it most certainly did! Watching the whole thing would have made my ears bleed.

hemiboy

Bisonnette is regarded by many as a talented drummer, but again, I don't question his ability in any way, as a matter of fact , he is a funny dude besides being a great drummer.   I just didn't care for the sound of the TD 50. I have heard it on many vids and just am not  feeling it. Still want to play and o hear it and tweak it in person.

Chrisk

Quote from: hemiboy on January 24, 2017, 04:21:10 AM
Bisonnette is regarded by many as a talented drummer, but again, I don't question his ability in any way, as a matter of fact , he is a funny dude besides being a great drummer.   I just didn't care for the sound of the TD 50. I have heard it on many vids and just am not  feeling it. Still want to play and o hear it and tweak it in person.

I personally did try it, it does not came close to 2box again, their sound velocity number are limited and pretty strait sound, cymbal sound great, but its about this compare to vst.

Chrisk

Pearl MIMIC expected to be available in Europe as well, from digital drumming magazine page 25, reports from Winter Namm.

digitalDrummer

I saw all the new offerings in action at NAMM, but to be honest, the big guys didn't do themselves any favours with amplification. Alesis did a great job of pairing the kit with a speaker array that made your ribs rattle when they hit the bass drum.
The backing accompaniment for both the Pearl demo and the Roland was overpowering and I don't think the instruments were able to cut through sufficiently. I also watched very closely for mistriggering etc, which is not apparent in the videos, but certainly there is you knew what to look for.
And I didn't like the kit sounds they chose for Billy Cobham - especially the snare! However, the xstick and ride were sensational.

Jman

Quote from: digitalDrummer on February 03, 2017, 02:12:55 AM
I saw all the new offerings in action at NAMM, but to be honest, the big guys didn't do themselves any favours with amplification. Alesis did a great job of pairing the kit with a speaker array that made your ribs rattle when they hit the bass drum.
The backing accompaniment for both the Pearl demo and the Roland was overpowering and I don't think the instruments were able to cut through sufficiently. I also watched very closely for mistriggering etc, which is not apparent in the videos, but certainly there is you knew what to look for.
And I didn't like the kit sounds they chose for Billy Cobham - especially the snare! However, the xstick and ride were sensational.
I agree 100%, I couldn't tell how good or bad the onboard sounds were especially when headphone options were not available for listening. And the TD-50 is definitely capable of better sounds than the Cobham kit sounds.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Chrisk

TD-50 sound better then Td-30, mostly the cymbal, but easy to recognize it's Roland sound with synth manipulation\ few layer. I wont see many going from 2box to td-50 or vst users to TD-50, there is pretty large difference on sound and the price.

As for mimic, will judge with final release version on the market, anything before are prototype and many factor is involved with software\hardware manipulation. I think there should be new demo with artist, probably like Dennis Chambers and other Pearl artist members soon, 2 owner of TD-50 was impressed with Pearl mimic at winter namm and actually played, one reported the sound was one of the best he ever heard on a VST library. From the sound video I heard even with compression, its sound like studio out of the box without time consuming tweak needed.

edcito

Quote from: Chrisk on January 13, 2017, 09:39:20 AM
Update: MIMIC pro will have multi-layers users wav imports with editor, to imports sound from  VST's like with SDSE; BFD, TOONTRACK etc. also notice it's allow 16 triggers + 8 Instruments slots extra via midi module 24instruments, internal instruments are 8" to 18" toms size you can mix them and have like 7 toms if you want.

The editor might be not ready at release, but just after, also hi-hat might not be supported for editor at first, since it use proper HIHAT sample to use the new hihat MIMIC engine close to open full graduation not like any vst on the market.

All users imports instruments will use the internal editor and dsp engine, reverb, eq, compressor, (ADSR) attack, decay, sustain, release etc..for individual instruments.

Almost 4 years after and I think  you should delete this BS...

halftime

Well, well. Things happen fast sometimes. I had grown more and more frustrated with my DrumIt 3 (as is documented on this forum), and when the new Mimic Pro update and the sound editor were released, I decided that it was time for a change. I had some good luck when I came across a very decent offer of a used Mimic Pro, and I went for it. I'm a very average drummer and definitely no pro, but in the end, the 2box just didn't work well enough for my needs. I will probably keep it as a backup and as an option for a hybrid setup, but from now on, my e-drums will be powered by Slate.

Reading the old posts in this thread, it's interesting that there was talk about the multilayer sample import already in 2017. Looks like Chris K was right all along even though edcito lost all hope last year. :D

Deve Loper

Hi.
"talk about the multilayer sample import already in 2017."
Yup, nice its there now for MP. Just saying, DrumIt had that since 2010 or so.
And I could have imagined another road ahead for DrumIt since 2009,
but things sometimes work out another way.
Enjoy e-drumming!
/Deve

halftime

I was talking about the sample import only in the context of Mimic Pro. The original DrumIt 5 was a very innovative piece of work and no doubt inspired Pearl and Slate too.

welshsteve

Quote from: Deve Loper on September 27, 2022, 06:41:38 PM
Hi.
"talk about the multilayer sample import already in 2017."
Yup, nice its there now for MP. Just saying, DrumIt had that since 2010 or so.
And I could have imagined another road ahead for DrumIt since 2009,
but things sometimes work out another way.
Enjoy e-drumming!
/Deve

Yep! I am always telling people who talk about sample import with ragards to the Strike and now the mimic, "2box were doing this YEARS ago!" The Ddrum3 way before it was also doing multi sample import. Admittedly it was a lot clunkier a process than it is with the 2box method, technology limitations at the time deemed it so. But props have to go to the Swedes who visionaries in this regard, they were well ahead of the game, it's a pity that in spite of that, they remained a small player in the game for so long.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!