News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

This is how I make DSNDS

Started by shimy1984, June 10, 2016, 09:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shimy1984

Those of us using Macs are in a predicament since we don't have a nifty auto exporter for DSND files.

Here is a decent way of exporting drum sounds semi-manually.

What you need:
1. A drum VST
1. A DAW that supports drum VSTs (I use Logic Pro X).
2. Audacity

One time setup stuff:

A. Create a template for your drum SVT:
1. Set the BPM of your DAW to a ridiculously low number, from my tests 20 BPM is pretty good (Tested with Steven Slate Drums). This will allow the longest audio tails to fade out cleanly.
2. Create an instrument track with your drum VST loaded.
3. Duplicate this track for each DSND type you'll want (Snare, Snare Edge, Tom 1 - 4, Tom 1 - 4 Edge, Cymbal 1 Edge, Cymbal 1 Bow, Cymbal 1 Bell, Hi Hat Closed Edge, Hi Hat Closed Bow, Hi Hat Pedal, etc)
4. On each instrument track, go into the midi piano roll and find the note that matches the sound you want. Now create a note on the first bar of that midi note, then repeat that single note bar as many times as you want, say 59 times for a Snare drum to make 60 total snare strikes. Name this midi event to match the sound you are going for.
5. Use your DAW's midi crescendo feature with a range of about 20 - 127. This will give you all the varied hit types for that particular drum.
6. Rinse and repeat steps 4 and 5 for each of the instrument tracks you've created.
7. Now that you're done with that, go through and split all of the midi events across all tracks every bar (you are separating all of the hits now).
8. Now, drag all of your midi regions (you should have a ton now) to the first instrument track, all placed one after the other.
9. Now you can delete all of the duplicate instrument tracks.
10. Save! You now have a template that you can use for this drum SVT.

B. Audacity cleaner setup:
1. Open Audacity and under File go to "Edit Chains"
2. Create a new Chain:
* Step one of chain should be TruncateSilence with these params: Action="Truncate Detected Silence" Compress="50.000000000000" Db="-60 dB" Minimum="0.500000000000" Truncate="0.500000000000"
* Step two of chain should be StudioFadeOut with default settings
* Step 3 should be ExportWAV
3. Save this chain with whatever name makes sense to you.
3. You have an easy way to clean up all of your Drum hits now and cleanly let their audio trails cut off.

Now, here's the typical everyday workflow:
1. Open your drum VST template file and go into the drum VST you have inserted on the track. Select whatever drum set you want, snare sound, cymbals, toms, room sound, everything. Done? Cool.
2. Select all of the midi regions and export all of the regions as WAV files to a directory.
3. Grab a coffee as your DAW processes all of the files.
4. Now that you have a folder with all of your split up WAV files for each hit, lets clean them up with Audacity.

Audacity clean up:
1. Open Audacity
2. Select File -> Apply Chain -> YourAudioTrimmerChain
3. Select all of your Drum hits
4. Let it process.

Cool... now that all that is done, all you need to do is drag and drop your sounds into the 2Box editor software to whatever sound for which they correlate. I know this sounds like a lot but after you do the initial setup, creating new kits is a breeze. I suggest making a template for each of the drum VSTs you own. I can seriously generate entire new kits in a matter of 5 - 10 minutes. Its not a replacement for the nifty software the lucky Windows guys have but It is definitely an improvement.

I hope this helps somebody.

Coda

I might try this for some Neil Peart drums on my music room Mac. At the moment I'm exporting everything on my office mac using SDSE in a parallels image.

welshsteve

Hey,
I couldn't get the chain in audacity to do what I wanted (split and export) I followed your chain instructions to the letter, however it wouldn't allow me to adjust compression on truncate. However, the settings by default were correct, providing the "50" is the same as "50.00000000000" it truncate but doesnt split or export WAVs.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!