News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Live with the 2 Box possible feedback loop?

Started by NewEDrummer, April 17, 2016, 09:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewEDrummer

Hi guys I took the kit on the road last night after a brief rest, only changes I have made are,I am now using a converted acoustic kit and I have added a 32g expander SD card slot.
I copied the settings from my orig 2 box SD card regarding outputs and set ups etc as per this post:

Unit->Intf - Assign your pads to channels. Press each pad switch in turn and make sure the BUS  is what you want, adjust it with rightmost data entry knob
Unit->Out - Connect the monitor mix from the desk to your aux in and change LINE to Mono unless you are sure you have a stereo mix coming from the desk
Unit->Out - Set PHONS to Sub
Unit->Out - If you receive the drums in the monitor mix from the desk, deselect the drums in the subgroup (left data entry knob) otherwise leave it selected (or you won't hear drums)
Unit->Out - Make sure Out 1.2! is set

Note:
If you don't want to use 5 or 6 ouputs for instrument separation (maybe you only have 2 channels on the desk?) then you can assign all instruments except the kick to bus 1, and everything else to bus 2
Fader settings are irrelevant unless you're using the internal mixer (The headphones or the 1+2 outputs are set to MIX. They should not be in your case)
If you don't see a '!' next to a channel assignment, it means that the volume is controlled by the volume knob. Otherwise (with a '!') the level is output at nominal line level regardless of mixer or volume knob settings. This is what you want in most situations for the best quality sound.

Everything I did worked but I did notice slight distortion when the mixing desk gave me more toms or more vocal for example.

Last night I wasn't getting any sound back from the mixing desk but I was getting a signal.
I turned the line in vol up in the 2 box mixer ( something I didn't have to do before?) but it does say it is set to zero as default   
This worked I started getting everything from the pa mixer to my headphones.
But distorted, i turned the drums in the pa monitor down and used the volume on the 2 box and could crank them right up no problem but from the pa they distorted, as did the vocals and so on.
I didn't think the internal mixer in the module came in to play as I thought the routing options
I was using cancelled It out?
It's obviously an easy fix and probably a simple routing setting that I am missing but as the gear is packed up for the next gig I can't get it out and start messing has anyone came across this before?
Anyone of you more savvy guys have any ideas?
Cheers 👍

Coda

That looks like one of my posts, it's exactly what I do for my situation (except I'm using 5 outs to the desk).

I would suspect the cables coming from the desk with your monitor feed, or something misadjusted on the desk.

NewEDrummer

Hi yeah it is 😉
The cable routing is all good,
However another 2 box drummer said using the
Outs 1&2 may cause a problem?
I have out 1 Kick 2 snare 3 toms 4 cymbals
Phones in phones and monitor mix from the front
Of house to line in.
But when I ask for more toms or vocals for example
I am getting a distorted sound back.
I'm sure it is a setting in the module
But I havent figured out what yet?

Coda

When you say "Out 1+2" do you mean "Out 1+2!" (with "!") because if not, it will be a different level from your other channels (3,4,5,6 etc) which are always "!" (at fixed line-level), without the "!" this channel can be controlled by the volume knob on the module.

NewEDrummer

It's definitely 1+2!
If I switch it to 1+2 the PA speakers start to feedback immediately
As I found out to my horror.

Jman

I had to read your post several times to understand (I think) exactly what you are doing. From what I read I am assuming you are using your 2Box Headphone jack to monitor, and the Headphone monitoring you want is just the Mix coming from the desk, with the full mix of everything including drums ..... with no additional drum sounds from the module directly in the headphone mix. If that is the case, did you set your submix for the Headphone to ONLY Line In? That is the Arrow Pointing Down emblem on the submix group.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

NewEDrummer

Thanks Jerry,

I have literally just read it in the manual,
It's obviously why it's distorting.
It is trying to send to exact signals to one place
I think?
Didn't adjust that setting last time as I set my monitor mix fairly low then used
The volume in the 2 box module to lift everything as and when required
Which is why I guess the distortion was minimal then.
I am making progress through the manual
So hopefully I will be rocking and rolling in total clarity in Friday night.
👍👍
Thanks guys.

edtc

it s not a good idea to recieve the drum mix from the venue's desk .

- first , if the soundguy makes changes on the EQ or gain , you could be bothered by those changes . It s better to have the control of the drumsound directly . Plus , the soundguy has many other things to do , and cant focus permanently on your drum mix level ...

- if the desk is digital , you ll get an extra latency from the A/D conversion , + internal processing + D/A conversion ...  from 2 to 4 milliseconds depending on the model

Also , most consoles are sending +4 db line level balanced mono , and the 2BOX line in is consumer level -10db stereo unbalanced .

if you plug a balanced TRS into a -10 db stereo , you could get phase cancelation problems , and/or distortion....

One solution is to use a separate little mixer , with balanced input  for the monitor feed , and a stereo in from the headphone out of the drumit5 . 

You ll have to spend maybe 60â,¬ for this , but you ll get an easyer control of your monitors , no distortion and a more powerfull headphone out ... all with dedicates knobs , and no more menu scrolling ...

have a nice day

NewEDrummer

Cheers for that, it is useful.
We do our own mixing and monitoring.
I think the problem is now solved.
Watch this space tho haha 😳