News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Solo or mute function for hi hat zone idea?

Started by Devious123, February 29, 2016, 10:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devious123

I don't know if this feature request has been brought up yet, but i was playing a round with a program called midi shape shifter in order to set up a drum map to control EzDrummer 2, and while trying to isolate each zone, I decided since i previously set up all my zones to come out of the same midi channel, that if i took the bow of the hi hat, and put it on a different midi channel it effectively mutes the bow, so you can adjust the edge zone. This in effect allows you to tweak the zone by hitting both the zone that is still on with the zone that is set to off to make sure there not overlapping with each other. The hi hat is probably the only 3 zone cymbal that i find it hard to distinguish the bow from the edge sounds.

Coda

Yeah this is probably because many hihat dsnds have the same sets of layers for different zones/hat positions/articulations. If I export a really good hihat from BFD3/BFD2, there might be 5 distinct layers for bow and 5 for edge, which means 11 (+foot splash) different layers (and a 500mb dsound lol). However, some VSTs/instruments might have only a couple of opening positions for edge, and maybe less for bow, so the dsound ends up with copied layers (I think it needs to have the same amount of positions for each of the edge and bow zones, but I'm not sure. At least the dsound tool doesn't let you make a lop-sided dsound). Sometimes after exporting a hat, when I check the hat in dsoundtool I have seen the edge and bow closed sounds using the same identical sounds. This is one thing that disappointed me when I exported the Neil Peart Kit.

Devious123

This is a little off topic, but one of the reasons I'm switching to trying to control EzDrummer for mixing/recording first. I noticed that after i did a mix down some how the snare mic bleed had got imprinted into toms, and for some reason the maple toms that come with the original factory defaults, sound good, and what i was looking for, the ring of the toms unnaturally cut off abruptly, and i did have the gate feature set to infinite.

I'm not overly knowledgeable, on using Dsound tool, but i did split up some layers to make it so a hi hat was always primarily closed, because my drummer likes a second hi hat off tot he right, that is used like a cymbal.

MY idea is just a primarily a way to say help isolate a zone so you can dial in easier to make sure it is only triggering what it is suppose to be triggering inside the 2box module, with out using something like midi ox.