News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Is there a 2box VST planned?

Started by Daniel, February 11, 2010, 01:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

i wondered if when the software will be released is there something like a VST plugin especially for the kit? i mean like superior drummer and so on?

cheers

UC

That would be sweeeeeet. I'd like that, a lot.

viina

Quote from: Danny on February 11, 2010, 01:15:19 PM
i wondered if when the software will be released is there something like a VST plugin especially for the kit? i mean like superior drummer and so on?

cheers

I told that idea to Bengt more than year ago. He told it`s interesting idea, but will be released in future:)

hwasser

Addictive Drums version 1.5 have completely remade their E-drums support and has the 2box as a preset.
http://www.xlnaudio.com/?page=products&p_page=addictivedrums&i_page=edrumssupport

viina

hwasser

And for all guys wanting brushes, this adpack has a kit with brushes and use a technology they call "RealSweap", you play it with regular drumssticks on edrums.

http://www.xlnaudio.com/?page=products&p_page=adpaks&i_page=modernjazzbrushes

emilhedman

Hm, what do you mean really?
An electronic drumkit like the 2-box and software like Superiour Drummer are at two very different things, each helping the other to improve its game. But software plugs and actual physical e-drum kits are two separate markets. Do you mean you would like a 2-box sample software to use without the drumkit?

UC

I guess something that acts like BFD2 (that's the only one I've played with) - with the same sort of kit creation and tweaking capabilities, that you could use within a sequencer - if you could also save your presets / kits to the 2box brain in an easy to use interface, how cool would that be?

Not sure how feasible it would be with the current hardware though (for the more advanced features like mic positions etc - although if you could get the VST to render down your sounds on the fly to .dsnd format, that would work I expect). With a decent laptop you could create killer kits on the train home from work :)

emilhedman

I guess my point was that you can already do that with the software available from other manufacturers.
The one thing you mention that can't be done with the existing VST's is easy transferring software kits to the 2box brain, which is really a minor thing since you might just as well trigger the VST and get the same result. Sure, it's a nice feature of the 2box that you CAN transfer rather large sound files directly on the the kit to avoid the need for a laptop. But looking at the complexity of the awesome samples and tweakability of Superior Drummer, you can't really fit that much in just 4GB.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just struggle to see the point of this!  :P

UC

As I understand it, the reason the drum sample libraries are so huge is that there's a lot of redundant information - BFD2 and their ilk tend not to use Modelling per se (which is how your Roland TD-Whatever keeps its memory footprint down)....Going back to the example of the Mic Positions - on BFD2 you've got 4 main sets of mics for any given drum, and then things like bleed).  hence the huge libraries.

Once you get your "meta" kit setup just right though, exporting the sounds with perhaps 5 or 6 variants of each drum to avoid machinegunning, I should have thought with 3:1 (ish) lossless compression algorithm that's been mentioned, I don't think kits would necessarily be all that big, because they don't have to have the "dynamic" characteristics of these drum samplers.

I just think if there's going to be a Editor with this sort of gui coming from 2box, why not build it within a VST framework from the ground up?