News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Top software features that you would like added?

Started by Scottie, February 08, 2010, 11:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

add support for playing with brushes?

Yes! Can't live without it!
46 (29.1%)
No - other features are more important
80 (50.6%)
I don't care - what is this "jazz" thing anyway?
13 (8.2%)
Give Puttenvr a light for his kick drum
19 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 26

puttenvr

HM

Metronome
8 outs
Choosing another kit by hitting a trigger, e.g. the rim of a tom pad

westerlu77

Possibility to play with brushes
Eq
A deal with Toontrack and FXPansion so that it will easy fit into 2box and import these sounds.

TimDeBim

I haven't got the kit yet  :-\, but nevertheless I think,

1. a metronome,
2. the possibility to play with brushes
3. and the software editor

would be my wishes for the next software update...

TrommelTheo

an 7" LCD-Monitorto see the palely faces of Yamaha and Roland Product-Manager  ;D :animal:
ups sorry, thats hardware, ehm OK, DVBT-Tuner-Support over USB to see the faces of them...

EQ, compressor, more inputs (won´t buy a second brain) *rofl*

Theo

slowmotion

1 - EQ
2 - Metronome
3 - play with brushes
4 - Compressor, reverb, delay

Baby Samus

Quote from: slowmotion on February 09, 2010, 12:48:33 PM
1 - EQ
2 - Metronome
3 - play with brushes
4 - Compressor, reverb, delay

Why do people keep asking for the ability to play with brushes?  You could do that on V-Drums because its just modelling the sound, but seeing as the 2Box is sample based I don't think you'll see this addition any time soon.  The 2Box has samples of someone playing a snare with brushes anyway, but there is a simple solution:  Just use a real snare with your 2Box - problem solved :)

The 2Box hi-hat/cymbal sounds are very good, but I just think you can never really emulate a cymbal, its sounds and playability are usually too difficult to represent through software or sampling.  In a live or recording situation, I would use real cymbals, and 2Box for all other drums sounds. Also a real snare drum if necessary but the 2Box snare samples are good enough I find.

Metronome is already coming in an update, EQ/Compression/Reverb/Delay would be nice but you can always use outboard rack units for that.  Don't know how much computing power the 2Box has at all, so I'm not sure if we'll see those things coming, but I reckon EQ could be done.  Can anyone enlighten us as to whether the 2Box module has sufficient power to do these things (EQ/Compression/Reverb/Delay)?  Perhaps our tame racing driver, Deve Loper, can help?

hwasser

The metronome will be great. The eq, kompressor och reverb I know that I won't need. Becouse: The 2box have 8 outputs (that's enough for 1kick 2snare 3-4toms 5floortom 6hihat 7-8overhead) which mean that every drum can have its own channel.

And if you use it live, u will connect it to a mixer, which certainly will have EQ on every channel and most of them have an effect-bus so you can use reverb and compressor on the drums.

In the studio, every channel will be send to the A/D, where every drum can be modified in unlimited ways.

puttenvr

Quote from: Baby Samus on February 09, 2010, 03:27:06 PM
Why do people keep asking for the ability to play with brushes?

How many pop/rock drummers do need brushes actualy?
How many jazz (brush) players use e-drums?
So, it's a strange demand indeed

westerlu77

Quote from: puttenvr on February 10, 2010, 04:25:14 PM
How many pop/rock drummers do need brushes actualy?
How many jazz (brush) players use e-drums?
So, it's a strange demand indeed
I don't care if there is no jazz drummers out there who not play e-drums, if 2Box have that brushfeature and do it well ,maybe a several jazzcats will start to test it..
2Box have also a advantage that it is possible to put a ordinary head, that itself will make it already much more authentic from the start.

Calimero

playing traditional jazz style brush patterns is ,and correct me if I m wrong, impossible.
The sweep is a constant motion,how would the trigger pick that up?
I also doubt meshheads will hold out long..

Steve

The brush sample works when sweeping, it triggers the sample as you sweep. A polyphonic long sweep sound that cuts of when tapped might work but using the Vic Firth jazz rake triggers the brush sound easily.

Calimero

so you start and end the long sweep sound with a tap..the sweep doesnt do anything,so you could do this with sticks as well and the brushes dont ad anything extra to it besides that it looks like you are playing with brushes..right?

Steve

Right now as you sweep you get tiny soft brush hits like a soft roll. I would image a ployphonic sample if I am using the right term meaning a sample that when triggered re-starts from the start of the sample point. As you tap you would loose the sweep sound but it would continue again and though not like real drums it is the only real solution, unless say programming the current brush sample on a tom and having the polyphonic sample on the snare. You would stir two pots as you play brushes instead of the same pot :).  For a soft background jazz trio gig it would be worth having I think. Serious players would not consider.

mr.inn

I´d love to be able to change the volume and threshold settings for the different hihat states. for example: i think that the open hihat sound is to loud compared to the closed one and it would be nice to change that with a simple volume parameter. Also, i think that the heelsplash sound triggers way to easy... i use very tight hihat spring tention and when i let go of the hh-pedal it triggers a loud splashsound, a threshold parameter here would be nice.