News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSoundTool 1.0

Started by Louis, February 04, 2010, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis

Quote from: claes1965 on May 29, 2010, 01:57:26 PM
Hi !

When I am making a HiHat dsdn-file it says "Not enough memory...."

I am starting via the .bat file an under Windows XP.

How to get around this ??

Claes1965

Hi Claes,

What happens if you edit the .bat file with a text editor (like Notepad) and change the contents from:

start "" javaw -Xms100m -Xmx400m -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

to

start "" javaw -Xms100M -Xmx600M -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

This will allow DSoundTool to use a maximum of 600 megabytes of memory (and perhaps the "m" on must be an "M").
If that is not enough, increase the number after "-Xmx".

Hope this helps!

Louis

claes1965

Hi !

Okey I will check what the Slate license says about this off course !

Claes

Quote from: Louis on May 29, 2010, 11:57:15 AM
Hi Claes,

Before you do that you should carefully check if the license allows you to copy the sounds this way. For example with the Superior Drummer license this would not be allowed.

claes1965

Hi !

Thanx. Turned it up to 1024 and it was perfect. Now my hihats works as all the other drum files.

What  I miss though in the Slate sound are the bow sounds on the crash cymbals.

Thanzx again !

Claes

Quote from: Louis on May 30, 2010, 04:38:38 PM
Hi Claes,

What happens if you edit the .bat file with a text editor (like Notepad) and change the contents from:

start "" javaw -Xms100m -Xmx400m -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

to

start "" javaw -Xms100M -Xmx600M -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

This will allow DSoundTool to use a maximum of 600 megabytes of memory (and perhaps the "m" on must be an "M").
If that is not enough, increase the number after "-Xmx".

Hope this helps!

Louis

Baby Samus

Hi all,

I am buying BFD soon and would like to start converting the samples for use in the 2Box module, I have a few questions, any help would be great (especially from you Louis!):

• I understand that BFD samples are just a string of .wav files like .dsnd files.  How many layers can the 2Box use on say one pad - I just want to try and make some responsive snares firstly and so I would want a lot of sensitivity...
  • Do you have to pick each layer individually or does the software do this? e.g. if I give dsoundtool 100 .wav file samples from BFD for a snare will it order them for me by volume and create a 2Box sound file?
  • Should I be using Dsoundtool for this?  Would it be easy for me to convert the BFD sounds to dsnd?
  • If Dsoundtool is best, how much is it and how can I pay?

Sorry a lot of questions but I'm supposed to be playing live again soon and want to have the best/most expressive dry samples i can get - if that means cramming the 2Box module's 4GB with only 4 kits, thats what I'll need to do.  Just hope it isnt as painfull a process as I imagine it to be!

Cheers.

nonoduweb

Hi Samus

Louis would give a better answer than me.

DsoundTool is at this time the best software to make samples from Bfd or Superior Drummer.

You can create a midi file with notes of velocities going from 1 to 99 spaced out of some seconds.
Once read by Bfd, every note will be played by the snare drum (for example). Then you can record the result in a single wav file, using Cubase for ex.
This file will contain all the differents samples (layers).
Dsoundtool takes care to order them by volume and to convert it to a dsnd file.
For a snare drum, it's good to use 50 samples.
DSoundTool is a shareware. http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/buy.html

fishmonkey

i'm curious, how does the 2Box brain deal with round-robins?

are multiple samples for round-robins a part of dsound file structure?

Baby Samus

Quote from: nonoduweb on July 20, 2010, 04:10:21 PM
DSoundTool is a shareware. http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/buy.html

Hi nonduweb, I don't think its strictly shareware - Louis mentions on the page that you should donate to a charity:

During an introduction period, you buy the right to use the license for a single user by donating an equivalent amount of 30$ in your local currency to either:

*  The organization" Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF"), e.g. http://www.msf.org.uk  in the United Kingdom, http://www.aerzte-ohne-grenzen.de/  in Germany, etc. See here  for a more complete list.
    * WWF, http://www.panda.org/

Baby Samus

Quote from: fishmonkey on July 20, 2010, 04:28:41 PM
i'm curious, how does the 2Box brain deal with round-robins?

are multiple samples for round-robins a part of dsound file structure?

I would also like to know this, because if we are making our own samples how do we know if they automatically randomise or whether there is some other string of samples it alternates between? 

Daniel

can somebody please explain where the "not enough memory" - error comes from exactly?

i already set the memory usage up to 4096M but it seem that if the wav. file is bigger than 200MB the error accours - no matter how i set memory usage.

Slap the drummer

Hi Danny - I can't explain..... but I do remember having to experiment a bit with values before it worked on
mine (vista, laptop, 3G ram).

My BAT file now reads

start "" javaw -Xmx600m -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

and I don't have any problems, including my current hihat which is about 450Mb.

I think the default setting was a range but that never worked for me, whereas just specifying a single
value has been fine.

Hope that might help.....

Daniel

Quote from: Slap the drummer on December 22, 2010, 02:05:13 AM
Hi Danny - I can't explain..... but I do remember having to experiment a bit with values before it worked on
mine (vista, laptop, 3G ram).

My BAT file now reads

start "" javaw -Xmx600m -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

and I don't have any problems, including my current hihat which is about 450Mb.

I think the default setting was a range but that never worked for me, whereas just specifying a single
value has been fine.

Hope that might help.....

it works on most parts, but i always have problems to create highres hihat or ride presets. i tested all different settings in the bat. file but i wont work.

any words from the creator of this tool?

cheers,
daniel

Louis

Hi Danny,

Sorry, I am somewhere in the woods in Sweden (70 cm snow outside the door) with poor Internet connection and no access to my source code.
Have you tried running directly from the "Launch" button from http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/download.html ?
I increased the memory settings some time ago when using this button.

I have no explanation why you have this memory problem. What is the total size of the wave files you use as input?

Happy Christmas,

Louis

Funkstation777

Hello Louis,

could you explain in short words, how I can increase the half-open spot of a dsnd hihat with the help of your program?

My drummer says, that the pedal-sweet spot for the half open hihat is way too small for his playing, by using
your software I could only see that there is a possibility to increase or decrease the volume of the layers.

Do you have any suggestions? Any help is welcome.

Thanx a lot.
andrew van der funken ;D

Louis

Hi Andrew,

I would be happy to help you, if I only understood what you meant with "the pedal-sweet spot for the half open hihat is way too small".

Is the volume of  the half-open hihat sounds too small? In that case, yes, with DSoundTool you can increase the volume of those sounds.

But if the problem is that the distance between fully open and fully closed is too small, I think you should try to calibrate the hihat to use a bigger distance (you have OS 1.10 installed, have you?).

Best regards,

Louis

Jman

Andrew: You have never answered in the different threads you asked your same Hi Hat questions in .... what OS you have.... this is a screenshot of a module with OS 1.04
What OS is your module?

I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/