News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Color change to chrome

Started by Dashriprock, January 29, 2016, 01:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dashriprock

Anyone change the color from orange,since there aluminum the paint or powder coat can be removed and polished to a chrome finish,this is my plan since i have a restoration shop.But i am not sure if this is paint or powder coating,it is durable for sure.

InTheBox

I believe it's powder coating.

But.. if you remove the surface coating, exposing the metal, wouldn't the aluminium tarnish with time? I know some metal snares have a coating of urethane lacquer to keep them from tarnishing.

What would be cool would be to strip the metal parts down and have them actually chromed.

Dashriprock

I was hoping it wasnt powder coat it is harder to remove but do able.The aluminum rims can be polished to a chrome finish,if you can  then anodize the rims to keep them clean but not necessary you can just wipe with a rag every so often to keep the shine.

Coda

I don't think it would take long to sand-blast the orange off. Just don't forget to remove the electronics first! :) Just kidding :)
I expect the chassis will be some dull and not so aesthetically nice alloy. At the least it would need to be polished and then lacquered, but I don't know if this would be enough. Probably electroplating would be the way to go if the metal is compatible. Or at the worst, you could powder coat it with a different colour.

Murgen

Quote from: Coda on January 30, 2016, 09:10:29 AM
I don't think it would take long to sand-blast the orange off. Just don't forget to remove the electronics first! :) Just kidding :)
I expect the chassis will be some dull and not so aesthetically nice alloy. At the least it would need to be polished and then lacquered, but I don't know if this would be enough. Probably electroplating would be the way to go if the metal is compatible. Or at the worst, you could powder coat it with a different colour.

Rims are made of aluminium ... careful with that sand-blasting :)
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Dashriprock

I guess if the aluminum doesnt polish like chrome i can always change the color to black or silver.not that orange is bad but not for everyone.

beeptech

I took the covers off and sent them out to a local powder coating company and I'm pretty happy with how they came out.  Here are some pix...

https://goo.gl/photos/AfyJcY9mSykuCU9UA

analoguekid

lmg173

Great Job! If only 2Box themselves sold it in this colour, they'd probably sell 10 times as many kits

wildhorse5678

Just for info..I recently asked a for a quote to get a the tubes of a drum rack chromed..8 bits in total and was quoted nearly £500 Inc VAT. I didn't bother.

Drumaster

That looks amazing!!! I really think about doing the same as it's REALLY not the same kit anymore and I guess it makes it get value with such a customization!