News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Advice for a newbie?

Started by btucker1022, March 01, 2016, 12:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btucker1022

I'm brand new to the VST world. And I'm trying to figure out how to acquire samples (specifically 80's e-drums).
I thought there were just libraries, I could purchase. But it seems like the libraries come as part of a master program like "Addictive Drums"
Is this correct? Do I need to spend $200 for the privilege of buying a library? Or am I missing something?

Coda

Yes and no. This is what frustrated me when I was looking to buy sounds too. After all my complaining about pricing and stuff, in the end I just buckled in and bought BFD3 (the most expensive one AFAIK). However, that doesn't have to be you. There are some great libraries out there which are cheaper, but they are limited in the amount of instruments/kits they have. For example, I looked at Analogue Drums (http://www.analoguedrums.com/). They have some cheap great sounding drum kit packages, that may have everything you need, but the some of the instruments are missing articulations (such as hihats with limited opening positions). The problem with VSTs is they are built for studio use, where composers, producers or sound engineers who are not necessarily drummers want to either lay down a drum track as a foundation to aid composition/production (and replace it with real drums later), or compose a track and leave the VST drums in. These VSTs do not usually have all the articulations that we would play on a real kit (like the aforementioned hi-hat problem) and so we have to work around them. It also means we have to pay full price for some kind of an engine that we'll only use a few times, and then for the sounds which we'll export also a few times. It is what it is.
With some packs (like analogue drums, and abbey road drummer series) you need the full version of Kontakt (again $$$) to use as an engine.
However, if you find a library of sounds which are stored in WAV format (like BFD2 but not 3), it is possible to extract those waves and mix them yourself. There are also some free sound libraries available (like e-nerd's) that are 2box ready, but there's no cymbals (yet).

Jman

As far as free sample kits, Sennheiser's free DrumMica is a nice little free VST sample download many people have used: http://de-de.sennheiser.com/drummica
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Coda

Oh I forgot about that one. I didn't like the cymbals though, they sounded like metal dinner plates. Maybe something could have been done re: mic selection and tuning though...

digitalDrummer

If you're interested in electronic drum sounds, you may not have to spend anything. Try the electronic kits on GarageBand which is free if you're using a Mac.

btucker1022

Thanks you guys!

Unfortunately I do not use a Mac. So I presume the Garage Band option is out. I will try the Sennheiser link.
Specifically, because I play in an 80's tribute band, I'm looking for that classic Simmons sound to begin with.

btucker1022

OK. I simply am WAAAAAY to stupid to figure out the Sennheiser site. I would welcome ANY tips!

Lustar

For Simmons there's this VST: VSDSX, there's also the Reel Machines pack for Addictive Drums.

Installing DrumMic'a (from http://www.lustark.com/FAQ)

QuoteRegister
    go to the DrumMic'a website
    click on "Zur Registrierung"
    click on "Weiter"
    fill first name, last name, street, street number, postal code, city, country
    click Weiter
    fill email, repeat email, password, repeat password
    click Weiter 3 times
    click Abschicken
    wait for the emails from Sennheiser "Deine Registrierung auf www.DrumMica.de" and "Dein DrumMic’a! Activation Code"

Download and Install
    follow the link in the first email your received
    copy the activation code and save it
    click "Jetzt herunterladen"
    click "Jetzt downloaden" for the Windows or Mac version (select Windows to use it with SDSE)

Activate
    open the Native Instruments Service Center or click on the Activate button of DrumMic'a in Kontakt
    activate DrumMic'a using the activation code

btucker1022

OK! I found an AMAZING resource!!

SampleSwap.org

Dude had EVERYTHING I needed.  I'm totally going to flip some money his way. He totally saved me from having to spend literally hundreds!!