News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Roland owner launches competitor for Vdrums

Started by puttenvr, January 05, 2016, 07:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman

Yeah, I've been following it since the early rumors. I'll check it out at NAMM (2 weeks away) and try to get as many specifics as possible. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

dboomer

Looks like Mr. K is back in business after Roland made him retire.

Coda

I see an SD card slot and USB on the back, with the familiar DB25 from the TD-9, and two aux trigger connectors, so we are talking TD-9 amount of trigger inputs (which is approximately the same as the drumit5). Is it co-incidence the model number is aD5?

The only questions I have are: are the sounds real samples, and can users can upload their own.

The ATV-link connector intrigues me. Maybe you can put two modules together (or an expander) with a cat5 cable and double your inputs while retaining control from one module...

welshsteve

Yeah sounds great. But, td9 level but a much better sounding module. If that's the sounds from the module we are hearing that is. How many are there on the module and expandability are my first questions. Also what sort of price bracket would these retail for I wonder?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Jman

I saw $750 USD on a facebook post, could be accurate or just a rumor. It is listed at Drum-Tec without pricing. Mike Snyder mentioned "uncompressed WAVs", but that doesn't mean much on it's own. I posted this at vdrums.com:
Obviously the video is just a pre-release teaser which seems to be popular these days.... release some teasers in the days leading up to the shows and build interest. Important is just how much onboard memory there is for those "uncompressed WAVs", how many individual samples per instrument articulation it can handle, and if it can play without the dreaded machine gun effect. Cold, hard, statistics is what I need. I can tell more from knowing how many layers are possible for each instrument and how much onboard and flash memory is available when looking at a module that can play back samples than watching a 1 minute teaser video. It is no small task to reproduce instruments with a large no. of unique samples per articulation without noticeable latency or backing up and crashing the module or corrupting the memory. As far as Round Robin goes that becomes more important with a smaller amount of unique individual samples. If this is another module that is only capable of 8 or less unique samples per instrument it is of little interest, at least to me. So, most likely we will need to wait for the show to find out the real scoop.

Jman

Oh, and the module evidently can have 5 kits onboard at a time. Probably the reason for the SD and the USB stick  ... 5 kits in the module via SD with additional kits on the USB that could be traded in is probably what is happening. seems similar to NFUZD in some aspects .....

roel

Interesting we have to wait for more information...

digitalDrummer

Quote from: roel on January 08, 2016, 12:42:17 PM
Interesting we have to wait for more information...
That's refreshing! Other forums and FB groups feel no need to wait for information, preferring to speculate and criticise before they have the facts!!

roel

Quote from: digitalDrummer on January 12, 2016, 01:54:23 AM
That's refreshing! Other forums and FB groups feel no need to wait for information, preferring to speculate and criticise before they have the facts!!

What do you want me to say... I'am not excited about the site.
Hope the module will have a good price and that you can use your own samples.

Murgen

2Box owners are in general more confident and not desparate about e-drums compared to other gear users.  :P
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

rhysT

Yeah Allan, I resemble that remark and quite like some premature speculation about new gear. Although I try to reserve any criticism until it's released and get some user feedback or try it out myself.
For example I bought an Akai MPX16 to trigger drum samples and loops via Midi, not expecting they might 'limit' it for that purpose. Maybe that's why I tend to look for potential limitations in new modules (like the TD-25), using the Drumit-5 as a benchmark.
I'll try to refrain from speculating on reasons for the Drumit-3 delay and just wait patiently for its release.
Btw from another Aussie, thanks for the heads-up about the 'aD5' module and all the useful info in your digitaldrummer mags.

edtc