News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Roland owner launches competitor for Vdrums

Started by puttenvr, January 05, 2016, 07:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalDrummer

Sorry, the video was meant to be private. I am in the process of putting together a review video and wanted to check the set up, especially YouTube's compression effect because all of the current videos do not reflect what I was hearing from the module.
The final version should be back soon.
By the way, Chris, what do you mean by "no hiding sensitivity tweak"?

Chrisk

Quote from: digitalDrummer on February 16, 2016, 04:22:48 AM
Chris, what do you mean by "no hiding sensitivity tweak"?

By setting the sensitivities to almost never heard the single harder shot sample on normal playing and when you play louder, the same single samples appears in repetition, I can do this with Roland as well, by setting the pad to works like this and added using compression to reduce attack of the harder shot on the Td-15 tom \snare sound which sound way better and less hard attack sound sample. But in reality, I still have about 3 samples layers on snares and toms.

Drumster

FYI, I contacted ATV with a couple questions:

1) Do they intend to add more kits and if so would they be free to up-grade? Their response was that they have not yet decided on more kits. So I guess until they decide the cost question is moot.

2) Could they provide a list of aD5-compatible hi-hats? They sent me the following link which covers more than only the hats... http://www.atvcorporation.com/en/products/drums/ad5/file/360/ad5_pad_compatibility_en01.pdf According to that sheet the best hi-hat for the aD5 is Roland's VH-11.

3) I also asked about the snare zones - does it trigger three sounds.ie: "head", "rim" and "head+rim" (rim shot). They didn't respond to that question at all. Possibly a language issue as they're in Japan.

Before I heard back from them I also contacted Mike Snyder via Facebook and asked him a few questions which he graciously replied to: https://www.facebook.com/MikeSnyderDrums/posts/1140274235996932?comment_id=1140441405980215&notif_t=feed_comment

edit: Mike confirmed that new kits and sounds will definitely be added.

So aD5 is still a potential option for me. 2Box may be the better choice though but I've more-or-less taken KAT's rubber pads out of the race and am re-visiting mesh heads.

While surfing around I came across a mesh head kit which has me intrigued. It's "Go edrum" from Taiwan and is Roland-compatible so should therefore be aD5-compatible too; theoretically at least. Cost effective, good sizes and the kick pad is well secured. Just add the aD5 and a VH-11 and I'd be up and running. Maybe do the perforated cymbal thing later on.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321926461875?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Chrisk

Quote from: Drumster on February 18, 2016, 07:42:33 PM
While surfing around I came across a mesh head kit which has me intrigued. It's "Go edrum" from Taiwan and is Roland-compatible so should therefore be aD5-compatible too; theoretically at least. Cost effective, good sizes and the kick pad is well secured. Just add the aD5 and a VH-11 and I'd be up and running. Maybe do the perforated cymbal thing later on.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321926461875?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just Read all their pad are compatible with Roland module as well, nice price as well..

Also the HIHAT controller compatible with Roland, Alesis and Pearl Live
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goedrum-Electronic-Hi-Hat-Controller-GHC-for-eDrum-/221631704295

digitalDrummer

I reviewed the Goedrum snare in the February edition and the HH controller in the November edition. I am testing the aD5 with the Goedrum hi-hat set-up and it's perfectly compatible.

dboomer

When I asked at NAMM I was told that there were only  two 3-zone inputs... Snare drum and ride cymbal.

Drumster

Quote from: dboomer on February 19, 2016, 06:22:39 AM
When I asked at NAMM I was told that there were only  two 3-zone inputs... Snare drum and ride cymbal.
That's interesting. I re-watched some of Mike's vids and he's definitely getting a rim shot out of that module. I don't mind single zone toms - personally, am not into bells, whistles and dog barking sounds.  ;)

Drumster

Quote from: digitalDrummer on February 19, 2016, 02:51:10 AM
I reviewed the Goedrum snare in the February edition and the HH controller in the November edition. I am testing the aD5 with the Goedrum hi-hat set-up and it's perfectly compatible.

That's excellent news! Is the aD5 review done and available yet?

tmoney

Mine arrives on sat, after some time with it ill give a review.

Chrisk

Here fact from the Module, hope the this video will clear many thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9hbVeXQN0c

It's nothing about VST\2box module nothing close to 0.1%, from one to many video showed, less then 4 samples for tom and snare exactly like Roland, same sound and get repeated,  about 2 samples for cymbal.
The VST and 2box are not related on this module because it's not even 0.1% close, we are talking about 127 layers vs less then 4, Typical Module of the Market.

Drumster

Quote from: chris k on February 19, 2016, 05:05:14 PM
Here fact from the Module, hope the this video will clear many thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9hbVeXQN0c

It's nothing about VST\2box module nothing close to 0.1%, from one to many video showed, less then 4 samples for tom and snare exactly like Roland, same sound and get repeated,  about 2 samples for cymbal.
The VST and 2box are not related on this module because it's not even 0.1% close, we are talking about 127 layers vs less then 4, Typical Module of the Market.

I see/hear a guy playing (quite well!) and I see some Japanese sub titles. Where do you get that there's less than four layers etc in the aD5?

Chrisk

Quote from: Drumster on February 19, 2016, 06:47:42 PM
I see/hear a guy playing (quite well!) and I see some Japanese sub titles. Where do you get that there's less than four layers etc in the aD5?

You don't heard the same sample? its quite evident on the low mid and high stroke, its all the same sample played for the related intensity strike, very easy to remember them to the ears, exact same ring, same attack\tone\frequency etc. you can record them in wav and notice the sample pretty easily, cymbal are even more easier to notice them. Same issue as Roland\Yamaha\Alesis, extreme low amount of sample which make sound repeated on faster playing and harder, no round robin\multisamples\ anything like 2box\VST.

These is the same result as Roland\Yamaha\Alesis Video which I tested all on local store and in some situation even worst result, video for all module are here to show overall capability which don't lie.

Remember this module came from one Ex Roland team..

Drumster

OK. I hear through my imac's little speakers and you could be right. Still, I'd rather see the specs before making such a call.
I called Kraft music and although they're offering on a "pre-order" basis, I was told they really have no idea when they'll have any units for sale. Possibly Spring or Summer so for me that pretty well takes aD5 out of the running.

Chrisk

Quote from: Drumster on February 19, 2016, 08:20:13 PM
OK. I hear through my imac's little speakers and you could be right. Still, I'd rather see the specs before making such a call.
I called Kraft music and although they're offering on a "pre-order" basis, I was told they really have no idea when they'll have any units for sale. Possibly Spring or Summer so for me that pretty well takes aD5 out of the running.

They wont ever write this on the spec, same as Roland\Yamaha, it's sales stopper right here, you don't need to see it on paper, ears is the fact, Same as Roland\Yamaha\Alesis, it's evident they are limited on same sample range when you can see apple and candy with VST\2BOX

Drumster

Frankly, for myself, the aD5's wide dynamic range, low latency and actual samples are more important than simply loads of samples.
I used my phones and re-listened to those videos; sounds may not vary much from hit to hit but they do sound pretty nice to my old tinnitus-impaired ears.

Having said that, I don't know if I'm willing to wait for months on end for the thing to arrive... which seems to bring me right back to 2Box! :-)