News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

First try with a kick

Started by mandubien, January 30, 2010, 09:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandubien

Hey folks !

So I tried the software created by Louis to make a kick sample. I used a previous record of my Pearl MMX I made some month ago for that purpose.

So it's just a try, nothing more. I made 4 velocities, very close actually. As I understood how to create velocities, I will properly record my acoustic drums next week-end (at least snare and kick).

Hope you will enjoy it  :drum1:
HERE to find the file.

westerlu77

It sounds nice, there just one thing. It's feels that it is cuted so that it not rings as long as it should.

mandubien

Quote from: westerlu77 on January 31, 2010, 06:46:29 PM
It sounds nice, there just one thing. It's feels that it is cuted so that it not rings as long as it should.

Yes I know. This is due to the fact I use the first hit from a rythme. So next time I will properly record to have the best sound possible.

westerlu77

It's fun because I sold a Pearl MMX just to have afford with 2Box.. I like the deep in the sound in your MMX!What I miss still in the module is better hihat-sample, they sound to me a little plastic and better bassdrums. 

mandubien

Quote from: westerlu77 on February 01, 2010, 09:54:13 PM
It's fun because I sold a Pearl MMX just to have afford with 2Box.. I like the deep in the sound in your MMX!What I miss still in the module is better hihat-sample, they sound to me a little plastic and better bassdrums. 

Ok then, I will try to have hihat samples also. I can't promise anything but I will try for sure !

Funkstation777

Hi Mandubien,

you really did a great job. The kick sounds awesome (especially when tuned up a little bit), but there is a little sound (sounds similar to a click track) at the end of the sample. I recorded it into my Tracktion ,cut it out and faded the last milliseconds.

Now the kicksample still sounds cool, but it's way shorter than the original and with the full impact , it got a little less "body".

So my few questions:
Can you hear the fragment I noticed or was it some kind of "acoustic phantom". And, i case, do you have the sample without the fragment (cause my drummer and me - we really love the sound of your file :rock: :rock: :rock:)

Question No. 2 is - which program did you use to make this sample. Would be cool to let us know this, cause I'm looking forward to creating "multi layer monster kick-sounds" (The kick sounds are the only sounds where we don't get toooooo excited about in the drumit5 - But the rest - especially the snares are way too cool !!!
:animal:

So let there be rock!!!!

mandubien

Hi there,

Thank you for your comments !

I didn't notice this little sound you can hear. Quite strange actually. Maybe it comes from the setup I used with Louis' software during sample creation (max volume, not "as they are").

Anyway I can give you the file I use in my brain to be sure you will have the correct one (Cause I probably modified it for my own).

Yesterday I created another kick sample based on the first one, but with more low-ends and high-ends. Sounds more realistic I think. I will post it in a new thread.

About the making of the sample, I simply recorded my acoustic bass drum using GarageBand on my MacBook Pro. I hit the bass drum around 40 times, each hit louder than the previous one (2 sec between each hit, it's very important). Then EQ, compression, little reverb and export the file in wav.
Of course ou can use any music production software you have (Cubase, Logic Pro, Pro Tools, Audacity...)

Then I used Louis' software to make the dsnd file from the wav file. Very easy  ;)

Let me know if you have any question.

Cheers  :drum3: