News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Is 2box Mono or Stereo?

Started by HuastecoElPaisa, December 31, 2015, 05:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuastecoElPaisa

Are the outputs for 2box mono or stereo? The reason i ask is becasue i created samples from the DDR-30 and they are stereo. When i put the samples on the 2box will they remain stereo or change to mono. Thank you.

Coda

Both.

Talking about the physical output jacks on the back: they are mono, except for the headphone jack which is standard stereo (and carries outputs 7 and 8 ).

By default, if you listen to your stereo dsounds through the phones you will hear the stereo panning.

If you connect the individual outs to a desk, then it all depends how you assign the channels. For live playing I have Kick, Snare, Hats, Toms, Cymbals on channels 1-5 respectively. In this case, all sounds are going to the desk in mono and the engineer can pan them if he wishes (but with this setup there is little point). If you think how a standard mixing desk works (usually all channel strips are mono and can be panned anywhere in the stereo field) it will make sense.

By default though, I think the channels are assigned so that there is some overlap and stereo separation especially on the cymbals. I don't think it makes sense for live playing though, just for recording.

AndyMo

Hi,

By default, Outputs 1 and 2 provide a stereo mix. I use these for a stereo mix to the PA for live work and demo recordings.

Cheers,
Andy

HuastecoElPaisa

So the samples that i created that are stereo will work as stereo when i load them on 2box?

Coda

That question was answered, did you not read my post?

dboomer

I believe he means a sample that is recorded in stereo  and plays back across two channels as opposed to a mono sample that can be panned across two channels. A stereo sample wouldn't have a pan function.

I'm not sure about the answer but I don't believe there are any stereo samples in the stock box.

edtc

Quote from: dboomer on January 02, 2016, 05:27:37 PM

I'm not sure about the answer but I don't believe there are any stereo samples in the stock box.

i didnt checked all the stock sounds , but quite all snares toms and cymbals are stéréo samples .

If you dont have a MONO switch on your mixer , try to record yourself in stereo , and then play it back on the DAW in mono and stereo ... You ll see the diference ...

Stereo is not only about panning a sound , it s about 3D perception from the source and the reverb ...

dboomer

Quote from: edtc on January 03, 2016, 08:38:59 PM

Stereo is not only about panning a sound , it s about 3D perception from the source and the reverb ...

Correct ... So the test would be that a stereo sound could not be assigned to a single output. It would always require a stereo output. Also there would not be the possibility of a pan control to a stereo sound. I haven't found any stick sounds like that. Are there any? 

Coda

Stereo sounds assigned to a single channel have both sides mixed together. You lose field separation (obviously) but you shouldn't lose overall volume or quality of the sound. For live work, this is preferable because you don't want (in most cases) some of your drums going left and some going right, as some sound engineers want to do, because people on the left side of the environment won't hear the same things as on the right. For recording though the opposite is true, however, most people do not record directly from the 2box (because it's cleaner and more versatile if one records just the midi, then renders the drums separately later in the DAW).

dboomer

I would expect that you would lose both volume and sonic quality when mixing almost any stereo material down to mono as some phase cancellation is inevitable. But it would depend on a case by case basis.