News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Triggit Failed during first gig!!!

Started by Nubium, December 30, 2015, 04:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nubium

Hi All,

im not having much luck with 2box stuff!!!
I have been gigging about 7 times a week with my 2box kit.  Tonight i decided to use a real snare and put a Triggit on it.  It worked ok for about half the gig then it just stopped working and i couldn't do anything to get it working again ( turned off the unit, changed gain settings)  anyone else had a problem like this? 

On another note it was a little odd, there was a little delay in hearing the real snare then the trigger sound, but i guess thats normal, I'm not concern with the trigger braking the first time i used it.

cheers

Nubium

So , no one has had a Triggit fail on them?

ANGR77

Hi!

Is your triggit trigger still broken? Did you get the system to work again after switching back to the 2Box Snare?

I have experienced some latency, if some triggers have been wrong configured. Example like if using a  2Box cymbal have been configured as a cyedge etc. It is also important to be in the "kit" mode when playing. Not the "unit" mode (for configuring triggers or outputs etc), which occasionally could have impact on the latency on 1.30.0 bios version. (Seems to be better on 1.30.3)

Best Regards

Angr77

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

digitalDrummer

Is it a hardware or software issue. If you connect the trigger to your Tom input, does it work?

Coda

A trigger is a quite simple device. If it failed then it's likely that a connection got broken from the piezo or the jack. It's rare in manufactured triggers but it can happen just like in anything you buy. It sounds like you were just unlucky (assuming of course you didn't previously throw this trigger in the studio at the guitarists head for playing too loud :))

Jman

I normally would say as Coda mentioned, possibly a broken piezo wire on the trigger, or a TRS cable problem. But you have mentioned in other threads having the module change kits on it's own, outputs failing, and that you did the 32GB card mod. So, not sure whether one thing has to do with the other, but your previous problems could very well be related to your card or extender. That is why we recommended trying your original 4GB card in the previous threads. But you never gave any info saying whether you found the answer to the problem or not.

A corrupted card or problem with extender can cause some really bad symptoms. But with no more info it is all guess work at this point.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Nubium

Quote from: ANGR77 on January 03, 2016, 11:17:20 AM
Hi!

Is your triggit trigger still broken? Did you get the system to work again after switching back to the 2Box Snare?

I have experienced some latency, if some triggers have been wrong configured. Example like if using a  2Box cymbal have been configured as a cyedge etc. It is also important to be in the "kit" mode when playing. Not the "unit" mode (for configuring triggers or outputs etc), which occasionally could have impact on the latency on 1.30.0 bios version. (Seems to be better on 1.30.3)

Best Regards

Angr77

Its defineatly the trigger as when i plugged in the snare pad again it worked fine.

Nubium

Quote from: digitalDrummer on January 04, 2016, 05:22:24 AM
Is it a hardware or software issue. If you connect the trigger to your Tom input, does it work?

Hardware, its the trigger itself that is broken, doh

Nubium

Quote from: Jman on January 04, 2016, 07:51:15 AM
I normally would say as Coda mentioned, possibly a broken piezo wire on the trigger, or a TRS cable problem. But you have mentioned in other threads having the module change kits on it's own, outputs failing, and that you did the 32GB card mod. So, not sure whether one thing has to do with the other, but your previous problems could very well be related to your card or extender. That is why we recommended trying your original 4GB card in the previous threads. But you never gave any info saying whether you found the answer to the problem or not.

A corrupted card or problem with extender can cause some really bad symptoms. But with no more info it is all guess work at this point.

Yeh, i do appreciate the advice with trying the 4 gb card, i have gotten back to you as i have been busy gigging and the stuff stays in the van between gigs.  however , one thing i did manage to do was delete all the new 2box loop kits that start with a D, after all the original kits.  I deleted these as that was what my 2box was jumping to on its own, the D1 kit, or something.  Since i deleted all the sample kits i haven't had the problem with the 2box changing kits on its own.

As for a loose or broken wire, i have had a close look but can't fine anything obvious yet.  I have a look tomorrow, as i said, a day off.

welshsteve

Hey,
I've had many break on me, so you're not alone. Before trigit I had every series of Ddrum ones they make, and all had the same issue.
Basically, the wire breaks at the solder point. 90% of the time it's the blue wire. Having had some correspondence with 2box, they've looked into it and concluded that the blue wire is soldered to close to the edge of the piezo thus making it hinge during hits and vibrations. They've suggested to resolder closer into the disc, which I've done. They offered to do it for me if I sent them to them but not having time off the road, it opted to do it myself. I assume they've realised this flaw and had the factory to amend this soldering on newer batches.
I cannot say just yet if it's sorted the problem longer term, but I'll report back one way or another.
If I can attach a photo of what they mean, I will.
Steve
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Nubium

Quote from: welshsteve on January 05, 2016, 04:30:21 AM
Hey,
I've had many break on me, so you're not alone. Before trigit I had every series of Ddrum ones they make, and all had the same issue.
Basically, the wire breaks at the solder point. 90% of the time it's the blue wire. Having had some correspondence with 2box, they've looked into it and concluded that the blue wire is soldered to close to the edge of the piezo thus making it hinge during hits and vibrations. They've suggested to resolder closer into the disc, which I've done. They offered to do it for me if I sent them to them but not having time off the road, it opted to do it myself. I assume they've realised this flaw and had the factory to amend this soldering on newer batches.
I cannot say just yet if it's sorted the problem longer term, but I'll report back one way or another.

If I can attach a photo of what they mean, I will.
Steve

I have had a look at the wires and all the wires i can see look ok.  I don't want to take the thing apart too much as ill loose any warranty . could you email me a photo of what you mean. maybe i can fix it.

thanks

Coda

Or post it here so we can all see it pls.

welshsteve

I'm doing this from an iPad and can't seem to be able to attach an image. I'll try on the computer shortly. But to further the discussion, you may not see the break, it can be less than a millimetre to break a connection. Here's a way of checking it.

Plug in the offending trigger to the module, but don't mount it on a drum. Make sure the threasholds is quite low, say -36 or something. While holding it in one hand tap the piezo with your finger and with another finger press on the piezo so you're compressing the foam. If you hear the occasional triggering of the sound, it's a break in one of the connections.

Pic of best way to solder it (if thats what you choose to do) to follow.

Nubium

Quote from: welshsteve on January 06, 2016, 01:21:36 AM
I'm doing this from an iPad and can't seem to be able to attach an image. I'll try on the computer shortly. But to further the discussion, you may not see the break, it can be less than a millimetre to break a connection. Here's a way of checking it.

Plug in the offending trigger to the module, but don't mount it on a drum. Make sure the threasholds is quite low, say -36 or something. While holding it in one hand tap the piezo with your finger and with another finger press on the piezo so you're compressing the foam. If you hear the occasional triggering of the sound, it's a break in one of the connections.

Pic of best way to solder it (if thats what you choose to do) to follow.

ok, i have already tried to upload a photo to this forum and you cant .  it has to be a link to a photo.

welshsteve

Ok this is how they suggested re-soldering the piezo. If you look just below the red cable, you can see where the blue cable used to be connected.

I go back out on tour on friday, it's a 2 hour show every night, 6 nights a week for 3 months. If they manage to hold up after this, then I'll eat my hat.