News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Drum sounds 2 Box stock vs Superior, Kontact, Addictive Drummer.

Started by 123pblack, November 17, 2015, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123pblack

I will soon have access to a proper studio with Protools - Superior, Kontact & Addictive Drummer via a TD-4 and a TD-9 for recording.

Ive never recorded this way before but would like to know would I have much advantages if I change up to 2 Box? Or cons using the TD-4, 9 Ect,, Is 2 Box stock sounds as good as
Superior, Kontact or Addictive Drummer!

And is latency an issue ?

Thabks in advance for any replies or advice!

sn47som

2box dwarfs everything you mentioned sound quality wise. It dwarfs all e drum samples/software currently out. Not all the 2box samples sound as great as others in the module. The best sounding samples in the 2Box are the X Shell samples. I swear that they are the highest end Sonor kit available recorded/sampled!!! No drum sound on the planet gets better than a Sonor. The other pieces of software you mentioned I am 99.9% sure they don't have Sonor samples...

Once you EQ these X shell samples in the 2Box they sound FANTASTIC. It sounds like you took a $6,000 Sonor kit and gave it a $200,000 recording! cant beat that...

ANGR77

From a very secure source(myself visiting the studio where they once were recorded) the X shell samples found in 2Box is a DW X Shell drum kit. It sounds fantastic!

Best regards

Angr77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

drumsonly2002

Great post! My new 2 Box module just arrived, time to start reading the manual.

123pblack

They sound better than real drums & I still haven't heard them   :'(

2 Boxs new advertising quote should be::

YOU CANT BEAT OUR DRUMS !!

123pblack

Oh and SPIRIT ACOUSTIC DRUMS (Australian I think) sound as good as any of the Sonar drums.

I've heard absolute cheap shite drums sound amazing when tuned properly with the right heads & ive heard tons of top Dw, Sonor Ect sound terrible due to not being tuned properly.

Tuning & the right heads!

Coda

I just spent 4 days in a lodge in the mountains in a room with 2 kits, a Sonor and a Jalapeno. Both were amazing. Almost made me want to sell my 2box, but not because of the sounds.

sn47som

Quote from: ANGR77 on November 17, 2015, 09:16:20 PM
From a very secure source(myself visiting the studio where they once were recorded) the X shell samples found in 2Box is a DW X Shell drum kit. It sounds fantastic!

Best regards

Angr77

aaaaaaaaaaNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Its not a DW!! hahaha just kidding. I can not believe its not a Sonor. It sounds very, very close to a Sonor kit. Closest kit Ive ever heard to a Sonor. Makes sense tho because I wasn't 100% sold on it being a Sonor kit. I wish they would actually record a Sonor in the future. It would be all over at that point. Best sounding kit in the world at our fingertips. Lets try to push this guys to the great 2Box people. Spread the word! We want Sonor samples.
How lucky are you to have been in the studio??!!! Please do elaborate on the studio for us!

sn47som

Quote from: drumsonly2002 on November 17, 2015, 10:05:15 PM
Great post! My new 2 Box module just arrived, time to start reading the manual.

****very important****

set your toms and kick triggers to either RubH2 or RubH3. Factory is set at RubH1. RubH1 will give you clipping noise when playing!!! it sux and ruins some of the experience playing the kit. It took me a few months to figure this out and I posted this fix in another thread. the sound problem 2box thread. I dont have a link at this time sorry.

set all your trigger gains to 0
set your curves to Lin1 (best of both worlds for dynamics and attack)
calibrate your hi hat
take off the effects and EQ the drums- its really needed to get the best sound out of the samples
Install both the front cross frame bars outward for comfortable kick/snare/tom set up

sn47som

Quote from: 123pblack on November 17, 2015, 11:08:26 PM
Oh and SPIRIT ACOUSTIC DRUMS (Australian I think) sound as good as any of the Sonar drums.

I've heard absolute cheap shite drums sound amazing when tuned properly with the right heads & ive heard tons of top Dw, Sonor Ect sound terrible due to not being tuned properly.

Tuning & the right heads!

ya, to a point. but nothing replaces the best quality, design, production and hardware from the start (Sonor) This gives them the edge with sound quality.
Now if only 2Box would sample them!!!! cough, cough, cough

ANGR77

Quote from: sn47som on November 18, 2015, 04:29:31 PM
aaaaaaaaaaNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Its not a DW!! hahaha just kidding. I can not believe its not a Sonor. It sounds very, very close to a Sonor kit. Closest kit Ive ever heard to a Sonor. Makes sense tho because I wasn't 100% sold on it being a Sonor kit. I wish they would actually record a Sonor in the future. It would be all over at that point. Best sounding kit in the world at our fingertips. Lets try to push this guys to the great 2Box people. Spread the word! We want Sonor samples.
How lucky are you to have been in the studio??!!! Please do elaborate on the studio for us!

The request for more great sounds should be escalated to 2Box. As you know - creating great sound librarys is costly and time consuming. If not created by 2Box or enthuiast like eNerd ...the sales model for DSDN sampled drums is zero based on non-existing copy protection. You have a great opportunity to port sounds from any VSTs using SDSE. In the AD2 ADPak Studio POP you will find a nice Sonor Designer Kit...just to export!

ANGR77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

sn47som

sure but 2box should really record some more great sounds, kind of goes without saying. Most of the toms and snares are average sounding. but some samples on board sound better than all vst samples out there so i would just stick with the onboard, if not it would kind of be like downgrading to vsts. thanks for the heads up tho.

123pblack

I still think Spirit sound nicer than Sonor (•~•%)

Coda

The issue I find with the although good factory sounds, is they don't sound very much 'alive'. IOW they're quite dry. I exported and avatar kit from SD2.0 with the EZDrummer preset (yeah I know), but what it did was added some space to the sound (with reverb I guess) and it just sounds incredible. I can't use it live though, it's too much lol.