News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

(20+ years of drumming) 2box noob thread

Started by mindbender, October 31, 2015, 10:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mindbender

Hi guys,
been playing drums since early 90:s, everything from "Roseanna" to "Enter Sandman" :)

This is my first post here and i know practically nothing about 2box drumit 5. Play in a cover band and we took the leap from Yamaha DTX to 2Box drumit 5 just the other day.

In this thread I will humbly ask for help regarding all questions I will probably have during this new phase of my drumming life.

First questions: The DTX had more cymbal pads, now I only have two cymbals. Now I wonder:

1. Which "all-round kit" would you recommend for a first live gig -this friday - with practically no time to go through and change sounds etc. ? (first rehearsalI used "maple custom") We play all kinds of music from 70:s disco to modern rock/hard rock (not much metal unfortunately ;))

2. Is there a good "crash/ride" sound you could recommend?

3. How do I change a particular sound for a cymbal?

Other than that my first impression is that I haven't been so close to the feeling of playing acoustic drums for years. Really looking forward to getting to know the kit and express myself musically through it.

Best regards from Sweden
/Magnus (drummer in the cover band "Piece of Mind" since -96)

Coda

Hey.

Assuming you have latest OS and Sound files (you should have if you bought it new)...

0. Make a backup! Plug the module into your PC/Mac, power it up holding the left top button (to put it into USB mode) and copy the contents of the 4gb internal SD card onto you computer somewhere safe.

1. While I am still experimenting with VST exporting (recommendation: take a look at the SDSE thread in a couple months, when you've got used to the 2box) I tend to use kit #1, #44, and #95 as my 'go to' kits.

2. You just need to experiment. See below.

3. Press Kit. Down arrow once. Hit the pad/cymbal you want to change. Use the left knob to change to the sound you want. Press up arrow. Press 'Save' twice. (you need to have enabled save function first - details in the manual).

Everything else you need is probably in the manual, and/or in these forums. The rest is just experience. Play the kit as much as you can, change the settings, mess about with it.

good luck!

wildhorse5678

I think the maple custom is good all round to use. My current fav is the Streaplers kit .. Downloaded from 2box website.  Ref cymbals you need to try them out with kit sound through an amp not headphones to hear the sound you want. There is a third cymbal output... If you want to add extra cymbals plus you can asign cymbal sounds to any pad and rim.  If you have time check out my videos on www.2boxfornewbies.weebly.com