News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

positional sensing

Started by 4johnny, October 29, 2015, 04:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4johnny

If the kit sounds are multi-layered that round-robin, does it matter much if drunmit5 does not have positional sensing?
Don't both approaches alleviate machine-gunning?

Jman

There is not really any problem with the machine gun effect with the 2Box module because of the large no. of unique samples in the dsnds. Variable is the feature in the module you are speaking of:

Var: : (default setting of most sounds) At random, the module selects a layer which is in
the volume range that best matches the trigger-impulse intensity. With this setting, the
typical "machine gun effect" is avoided, because even with an identical trigger impulse
at the following beat, another sound layer will be used (randomly) and previously
generated sound layers can still fade out completely.

On dsnds I build myself I generally just set my layer to Fix. Since the dsnds I build have so many unique velocity samples it is almost impossible to trigger the exact same velocity layer over and over.

Fix: always the layer matching the trigger impulse best is used. I.e. with identical
trigger-impulse intensity the same layer is used.

Most modules have so few unique velocity layers machine gunning is pretty much impossible to eliminate. There is a way to get the 2Box to machine gun ....... just set the Layer setting to Top:

Top: Regardless of the velocity, always the "top layer" sound, i.e. the loudest layer is
used.

I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

4johnny

Thanks for the info.

I was just trying to understand if positional sensing was ever really needed on 2box, since they have all those layers.  It doesn't seem like a feature they will need to add in the future.

InTheBox

Quote from: 4johnny on October 29, 2015, 05:01:20 PM
Thanks for the info.

I was just trying to understand if positional sensing was ever really needed on 2box, since they have all those layers.  It doesn't seem like a feature they will need to add in the future.

I might be wrong about this, but I don't think positional sensing is meant to "work against" machine gunning as such. Velocity layers will work in "depth", meaning there's a great variety in how hard the drum is hit. Positional sensing I imagine would work in "width", meaning a drum will sound very different according to where it's hit.

fishmonkey

+1 to what Animal said above. it would be great if the 2Box pads had positional sensing...