News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Kick recommendations...

Started by hasanacar, August 09, 2015, 02:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanacar

Hello guys,

I ve been reading topics of the forum lately, and already checked some topics about kick drum... And basically I ve seen everybody is complaining about the kick , that it moves too much.. I obviously have the same issue.
Do you think I can tune better with the supplied equipments. ?

and moreover, The kit came  without the original kick pedal, as the first owner gave it way to someone I dont know... and I ve been using my regular Tama iron cobra junior twin with the regular beaters..

Do you think I urgently need some other drum pedal or beater that would better fit the mesh heads? Anyone has ruined the mesh heads, because of the traditional beaters ?

Last, What would your optimum, Gain, threshold,curve and etc.. recommendation for the most realistic triggering for the kick ?

By the way I still have this f.cking distortion noise after I play for half an hour on toms and kick mostly...

Thanks in advance..

digitalDrummer

One warning - do not use felt beaters with mesh. And you're probably advised to add a bass drum protector strip regardless of what type of beater you use.

Murgen

The only thing to avoid, like DigitalDrummer said, is felt on mesh. I installed a multi-ply meshhead and use the wooden beater from Pearl (it is Orange too). Works for me. Most kicks are better than the factory one, you will never miss it. Good luck.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Coda

I would add, even though it's not relevant to you... don't use felt beaters on anything other than normal mylar heads - they also destroy the rubber heads which you find on some kick pads, like the KD-8 for example (speaking from experience).

hasanacar

Thanks for the answers guys.. This is great to find answeres from such helpful people.

May I also ask for some examples, may the product links about appropriate beaters, or multi-ply mesh heads or mesh protectors..

:patbat2box:

Quote from: digitalDrummer on August 10, 2015, 05:49:23 AM
One warning - do not use felt beaters with mesh. And you're probably advised to add a bass drum protector strip regardless of what type of beater you use.

Quote from: Coda on August 10, 2015, 06:18:01 AM
I would add, even though it's not relevant to you... don't use felt beaters on anything other than normal mylar heads - they also destroy the rubber heads which you find on some kick pads, like the KD-8 for example (speaking from experience).
Quote from: Murgen on August 10, 2015, 06:09:58 AM
The only thing to avoid, like DigitalDrummer said, is felt on mesh. I installed a multi-ply meshhead and use the wooden beater from Pearl (it is Orange too). Works for me. Most kicks are better than the factory one, you will never miss it. Good luck.

Progdrummer

Sorry to KICK in without notice :D

I just bought an amazing Pearl Eliminator and I'd like to try to get the best even from my 2Box MK II.
The problem is still the same: bass drum pad is still moving too much, and it's hard to achieve constant sequences of fluent 16s or 32s at higher speeds.
Is it anything to get a firm, stable bass drum pad? I could even build something by myself if I could find a hint about it.

Plus, I get a few double triggering here and there (with a gain of 16 and threshold 42, high values due to the lack of volume in the kick sound, dont know why, maybe you can help me with that as well).

Any advice would be welcome, as usual :)

InTheBox

Quote from: Progdrummer on September 26, 2015, 02:45:00 PM

Is it anything to get a firm, stable bass drum pad? I could even build something by myself if I could find a hint about it.

I think the best way would be to get a regular kick drum and put a trigger on it. I'm currently searching my local second hand classifieds for a cheap 18-20" drum to convert.

I've never played much on the kick pads of any other brands, perhaps some are better, but good is usually expensive  >:( ;) ;)

Murgen

Quote from: Progdrummer on September 26, 2015, 02:45:00 PM
Sorry to KICK in without notice :D

I just bought an amazing Pearl Eliminator and I'd like to try to get the best even from my 2Box MK II.
The problem is still the same: bass drum pad is still moving too much, and it's hard to achieve constant sequences of fluent 16s or 32s at higher speeds.

Plus, I get a few double triggering here and there (with a gain of 16 and threshold 42, high values due to the lack of volume in the kick sound, dont know why, maybe you can help me with that as well).

Any advice would be welcome, as usual :)

In 2012 I mounted an extra bar in the front-rack and with a Pearl cowbel kick mount and a Gibraltar clamp I secured the kickpad. Works excellent, very stable non-wobbley kick pad.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

digitalDrummer

The best solution I have found is the Roland KT-10, an all in one unit.
We reviewed it here: http://issuu.com/digitaldrummer/docs/dd_november_2014/0

InTheBox

Quote from: digitalDrummer on September 28, 2015, 12:03:28 PM
The best solution I have found is the Roland KT-10, an all in one unit.
We reviewed it here: http://issuu.com/digitaldrummer/docs/dd_november_2014/0

Anyone here try these? I see them for sale second hand locally. Reminds me of the Roland hi hat pedal.

Coda

I think the KT-10 is the kick drum trigger. Maybe you confused it with the KD-8/9?

InTheBox

Quote from: Coda on September 29, 2015, 06:53:35 PM
I think the KT-10 is the kick drum trigger. Maybe you confused it with the KD-8/9?

I know it's a kick pedal/trigger. It just reminds me of the KD-8/9 in looks.

Coda

My bad, I thought you were referring to this: http://www.rolandus.com/products/rt-10k/  - the RT-10K not the KT-10. Dammit Roland...

InTheBox

Quote from: Coda on September 29, 2015, 09:00:17 PM
My bad, I thought you were referring to this: http://www.rolandus.com/products/rt-10k/  - the RT-10K not the KT-10. Dammit Roland...

No worries  ;D