News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2boz hardware or Jobeky Drums

Started by mechanevil, September 08, 2015, 05:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mechanevil

Noticed some users have issues with the stock 2Box hardware, such as wobbly bass drums. Is it really all that bad? Would I be better off getting the module and cymbals and using it on something like a kit from Jobeky Drums? It costs more, so I'm a bit leery, but not as leery as about having trouble with the stock hardware?
Close to mustering the dough for my first 2Box kit, so just want to make the right decision.
Also, I know a lot of users here think that positional sensing on the higher end Roland modules is overrated. But II was still wondering whether a TD30 would be a better option than the 2Box. Silly to ask on a 2Box forum, but the hardware seems better, so just thought I'd add it to this thread.
I want to use the kit for recording with Superior Drummer, so I'm hoping for the best dynamics. Saying this in relation to digital drummer's comments on another thread that the Roland is better for triggering vsts.

makoki

Hi friend, I'm the owner of a Jobeky+2box, former Roland user. These are are my thoughts on your question:

No doubt Roland HW and triggering functionalities are better than 2Box. This does not mean 2Box is bad but Roland is better. Also better in price level, as a full TD30 is 2 to 3 times 2Box price.

Sound wise, no doubt 2Box gets you better sound thanks to its open system and the ability to add real samples. Also true some elements as machine gun and hot spots has some better behavior, but wit some lacks as positional sensing. Also to mention the VEdit functionality in Roland modules is amazing in terms of flexibility and configuration possibilities. The bad thing with Roland is related with the basic sound quality. This is very long history about synth sounds vs real samples.

Most of the VST I know only gives you positional sensing abilities on the snare and eventually ride.

If you plan to use your drums just to trigger VST via MIDI, you don't need to go for sound quality, only good triggering. Roland wins.

If you want to go for live sounds out of the module, 2Box wins (but being honest, Roland can also go for a pretty decent level).

Considering above comments on VST, you will need positional sensing only on snare and ride. And "old" Roland module like TD12 can manage this without problems. No need to go for a luxury TD30.

My recommendation: just for triggering, use a TD12, price wise similar to 2Box. Live situations, for for 2Box with better HW (Jobeky, Diamond, even Roland...). But if you are rich, then go for a TD30...

I forget to mention I still own my old TD12 with an VH11, and from time to time I switch from 2Box to Roland.....;-)

hemiboy

I never owned 2 box hardware, but I have heard mixed views on them. Lots of kick problems and some pad problems as well, and last but not least, the chronic hi hat
  I have owned Roland up to the T30 and the hardware was built tough. The 2 box module sounds so much better to me.I converted my ludwigs and hang them on a Gibraltar rack whi,ch is solid as all hell. If I went for a true E kit, I would buy Pintech concert casts. I hear they are tanks.

Coda

Quote from: mechanevil on September 08, 2015, 05:21:49 PM
I want to use the kit for recording with Superior Drummer, so I'm hoping for the best dynamics. Saying this in relation to digital drummer's comments on another thread that the Roland is better for triggering vsts.
If it's just a trigger->midi->VST you want, and you are not made of money, consider getting a megadrum module. It has it's own 'issues', but the money you'll save on the TD30 you can invest into some things to hit.

mechanevil

Guys, thanks for the inputs.

@Coda: I looked into the Megadrum, but I'd rather get a fully featured product than something that is still being developed. I noticed that the developer said he was testing positional sensing back in 2011, but there haven't been any updates after that.
Also, I saw a couple of videos on youtube about the Megadrum and I wasn't too confident in how it performed. Seemed to be very un-dynamic when I saw people playing it, not as expressive as some of the videos I would like to emulate.

@makoki: Thank you for the detailed comparison. I only have an Alesis kit, which has all kinds of triggering issues, both with the internal sounds as well as with VSTs. I know my way around the settings like cross talk, threshhold and retrigger (a very odd one for an e-kit, I found, shouldn't threshold be enough? Something like this inevitably leads to a situation where sounds are cut off).
How useful is something like positional sensing? Is there a dramatic difference from how a conventional trigger works? I'm mainly a hit in the centre of the pad kind of player, but I'd like how I play to translate better to Superior Drummer, the VST I use. I noticed that you said the Roland "triggers better" with a VST. Could you give me some anecdotal evidence of how this might translate into a better expeirience with a VST?

@hemiboy: What is the chronic hi-hat problem with the 2Box? I haven't heard about it. Even I think the 2Box sounds better, but since I use a VST, which I believe most 2Box users port to their module for the best sounds, I don't feel like I would be missing out. Except the 2Box is decidedly cheaper, which is going to play a big factor in my decision.

Any additional inputs would be appreciated.

hemiboy

Use the search option to seek out previous posts about hi hat problems. I don't have a 2 box hi hat, because I heard there were some issues,  so I bought the hi hat conversion from Jman from Stealth drums.com and use my Tama speed cobra stand with dampened triggered cymbals and they work flawlessly, I might ad!

Coda

Quote from: hemiboy on September 10, 2015, 09:39:46 PM
Use the search option to seek out previous posts about hi hat problems. I don't have a 2 box hi hat, because I heard there were some issues,  so I bought the hi hat conversion from Jman from Stealth drums.com and use my Tama speed cobra stand with dampened triggered cymbals and they work flawlessly, I might ad!
I also went this way. Tama RoadPro HH stand, not the most expensive one. It doesn't have a baseplate (which would have been better for mounting a controller box). Main spring could have been stronger in the strongest setting (the VH-11 is heavy), but for acoustic hats with the extra weight of the dampening material it's sufficient. The feel of metal hats is just a million times better. Plus I can work on my Ringo impression :)