News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Exporting Drums from BFD

Started by chymx2, September 04, 2015, 03:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chymx2

Hi All,

was wondering if anyone had any tips on how they like to tweak the drums in BFD before export/convert?

I'm currently exporting the Neil Peart kit...  so just wondering if there was anything in particular I should play around with

Thanks

Coda

This is one kit I want, but I have read that the sampling is not so good. Is it true?

Jman

Quote from: chymx2 on September 04, 2015, 03:29:28 AM
Hi All,

was wondering if anyone had any tips on how they like to tweak the drums in BFD before export/convert?

I'm currently exporting the Neil Peart kit...  so just wondering if there was anything in particular I should play around with

Thanks
I always set the pan on Center for all instruments I export. That way you can set your own pan in the module. The cymbals will still be panned though because they were recorded mainly in the overheads so cymbals on the right will be more predominant on the right, etc. Beyond that I would suggest doing 2 or 3 different versions, one for sure dry, one with more ambiance, one with more verb if you like. That gives you a few variations of the same kit. There are a few Peart presets, Dry, Dry Tight, Big Room, Cave .... you might try those out to see if you like. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

chymx2

Jman-  thanks for the tips that should be a good start. 

Coda-  I exported with no tweaks one of the preset kits... I like the toms alot... the snare and kick...ehhh, we'll see.  I like some of the cymbals as well.

I just did the mod and everything seems to work fine now to fill the card =)  I'll post the card I got on the compatibility list later

I'm really interested in the Nick Mason kit now... since I used to have Ludwig Classics and Super Classics.  If you know of any 80's 90's ludwig or Tama samples please let me know, I'd love to have those.

Coda

Quote from: chymx2 on September 04, 2015, 10:00:03 PM
I just did the mod and everything seems to work fine now to fill the card =)  I'll post the card I got on the compatibility list later
When you do, can you please test it with HD Tune and post a screenshot of the results, plus details of your card reader in this thread: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1136.0.html ? Thanks. It's the access time that we are interested in.
I'm really interested in the Nick Mason kit now... since I used to have Ludwig Classics and Super Classics.  If you know of any 80's 90's ludwig or Tama samples please let me know, I'd love to have those.
That's another one I'm interested in (Floyd fan), but again I read that the sampling is under par  :(

InTheBox

Is it just me, or do you guys also get that the file size is much larger when you apply tweaks in BFD? Normally I don't do any changes, but I've noticed that if I add a little ambiance or effect the dsdn can double or triple in size.

Coda

I don't have BFD yet, but I can probably partly explain that. A 2s dry sound, when ambience is added, will be maybe 5 or 6s long.

chymx2

I did the HD Pro time sync and it said the access time was .498  Not totally sure I Did it correctly but I will do it again and post.

What I did was hook the card reader extension up to the computer and ran the test of the card through that...  Should I just run it with the card in the computer?

Coda

Quote from: chymx2 on September 07, 2015, 11:43:21 PM
I did the HD Pro time sync and it said the access time was .498  Not totally sure I Did it correctly but I will do it again and post.
If you did a benchmark correctly, that's good, probably the quickest I've seen through a USB reader.

What I did was hook the card reader extension up to the computer and ran the test of the card through that...  Should I just run it with the card in the computer?
If you mean the extension cable you have on the 2box, I don't see the point adding another thing in between the computer and the SDCard which could possibly alter the test results. However, with a comparison test of just your SDCard, it should show if the extension cable is adding any latency (unlikely but as you haven't fitted your extension to the 2box yet, why not check it?).

What I would like to know, is the type of SDCard reader you have and how it's connected (Sata, IDE, USB etc). A screenshot of the HD Tune window would also be welcome. Thanks!