News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

midi routing with Logic Studio

Started by Iamwired, August 30, 2015, 09:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iamwired

Hi,

I just got my 2Box drum a week ago. I am trying to set up with Logic studio with a midi IN and OUT hub connection. everything working using external device in Logic.... but I can't seem to get the audio sound from the 2Box module to Logic Studio.

I can record MIDI notes and it can play the sound but only in the 2Box audio output. I don't want to route the audio from 2Box into my audio interface.

Wondering if any body know if the 2Box has that option just using the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT connection only?

I have read some option but mostly is with routing to a VST software.

Thanks,

Vonn

digitalDrummer

Yes, you certainly can export Midi from your module to Logic, but you need a midi/usb interface to connect your module to your computer.

Coda

Quote from: Iamwired on August 30, 2015, 09:24:18 PMbut I can't seem to get the audio sound from the 2Box module to Logic Studio.
Just for clarification, are saying that you want to record your 2box sounds in Logic? Or are you saying you want to use the 2box as an audio output? Or, are you saying you want the 2box to play audio from midi files from within Logic? I don't really understand your post.

To record the Drumit5, you connect the Audio Outs from the Drumit5 to your Mac's Audio Interface.

I don't want to route the audio from 2Box into my audio interface.
Oh wait. Why not?

Wondering if any body know if the 2Box has that option just using the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT connection only?
MIDI interfaces only transport MIDI data, which is serial character interface. If you want audio (from any device), you must use the audio in/outs.

If the question was misunderstood, please clarify, and I'll try to help further.

Iamwired

thank Coda and digitalDrummer.
Maybe I should had mention that I was using Apogee duet interface and only 2 channel available. I was hopping to multitrack the audio from 2Box for additional FX the sound separately. I thought that my USB MIDI Cable was the issue. I was looking at buying an audio interface with a MIDI IN and OUT built in. Thought that would solve the audio problem. When I purchase the 2Box. the saleman told me that it possible. Never the less I'm still happy with the product just have to use what I have for now.

Coda

Lesson #1, always verify what salespeople tell you with someone else :D

Regarding multitracking, you want to take 6 or 8 outputs from the module, into your Mac simultaneously, so you can mix the individual instruments properly later?

I have an idea how to do this using a MIDI interface, but I've never tried it myself (yet).

Set up your tracks in Logic: add a MIDI track and set up any click track or metronome you need. Arm the midi track for recording, and record your drum performance. You now have a recorded midi track with all the drum midi data in it. Play it back: Logic will send your recorded midi data to the 2box which will then play your recorded performance, you can monitor this playback directly from the 2box headphones socket and if necessary correct some of the timing or notes on the Logic editor until you are happy with it. If everything was set up properly you shouldn't have an issue with any articulations, it should play back exactly as you recorded it. Be watchful for hi-hats and cymbal chokes etc, these sometimes need special attention to set up properly. 
Plug your audio interface L+R into the 2box channels 1+2 out. Create a new AUDIO stereo track (or 2 mono tracks) in Logic, arm them for record, and record the sequence. The 2box will then play your bass drum and snare (or whatever is assigned to outs 1+2) and Logic will capture it. When it's done, move the cables to outs 3+4, rewind, arm 2 more new audio tracks for recording, press record. repeat for tracks 5+6 and 7+8 if you use them (dont forget to change 7+8 from Headphone to Line on the 2box menu (and you might need splitters)).

Because the midi data will play the 2box at exactly the right time while recording the audio, you should be able to capture 4x identical performances which when played back should line up perfectly.

Iamwired

Quote from: Coda on August 31, 2015, 03:25:10 PM
Lesson #1, always verify what salespeople tell you with someone else :D

Regarding multitracking, you want to take 6 or 8 outputs from the module, into your Mac simultaneously, so you can mix the individual instruments properly later?

I have an idea how to do this using a MIDI interface, but I've never tried it myself (yet).

Set up your tracks in Logic: add a MIDI track and set up any click track or metronome you need. Arm the midi track for recording, and record your drum performance. You now have a recorded midi track with all the drum midi data in it. Play it back: Logic will send your recorded midi data to the 2box which will then play your recorded performance, you can monitor this playback directly from the 2box headphones socket and if necessary correct some of the timing or notes on the Logic editor until you are happy with it. If everything was set up properly you shouldn't have an issue with any articulations, it should play back exactly as you recorded it. Be watchful for hi-hats and cymbal chokes etc, these sometimes need special attention to set up properly. 
Plug your audio interface L+R into the 2box channels 1+2 out. Create a new AUDIO stereo track (or 2 mono tracks) in Logic, arm them for record, and record the sequence. The 2box will then play your bass drum and snare (or whatever is assigned to outs 1+2) and Logic will capture it. When it's done, move the cables to outs 3+4, rewind, arm 2 more new audio tracks for recording, press record. repeat for tracks 5+6 and 7+8 if you use them (dont forget to change 7+8 from Headphone to Line on the 2box menu (and you might need splitters)).

Because the midi data will play the 2box at exactly the right time while recording the audio, you should be able to capture 4x identical performances which when played back should line up perfectly.

Yes, that will be my option for the mean time. thanks

fishmonkey

IMO it would be less hassle and give you better sonic results to use the recorded MIDI data to trigger a drum VST...

Coda

Not sure about it being less hassle (last time I tried with my TD-9 I had major headaches with mapping hi-hat midi data) but it's certainly the 'normal' way to do it. The only problem is you have to have a VST drums package.