News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

heads up - serial numbers of returned modules

Started by fankelomia, August 25, 2015, 08:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fankelomia

I ordered my two modules from thomann (germany).
Straight up i returned one of them, not because it didn't work, but because some of the push buttons didn't have the distinctive feel (and sound) when pushed and i didn't want to run into broken buttons later on.
Maybe a bit picky on my part but in regard to the price tag and the shops exchange policy i asked for a different module.
Sadly the next one has a different problem, the leds are shining not only through the buttons labels but far beyond that (pic). Again, i am sure the module works as it should but i am gonna exchange it and hope the next one will be allright.

FYI - the serial numbers:
Module with button issues: 05537
Module with led issues: 05618

Coda

Interesting. To me, it seems both cases could be caused by misalignment of the main board when its screwed to the casing. Maybe they have a new person assembling these for them.

fankelomia

I talked to Thomann and Hyperactive and the logical conclusion seems to be a difference in the faceplate between the modules with s/n 05225 and s/n 05618.
The latter one is overall much brighter and looking closely at the orange circles around the knobs and buttons i discovered that they are bigger (only noticeable when not illuminated) and more orange while the circles on the older module (if greater s/n means younger...) are somewhat sprinkled with black dots making them less see-trough.
I also think that there are subtle differences in the text - the letters being more white on s/n 05618. Especially the USB-MIDI lettering is actually different and much thinner.

Here's one picture that hopefully shows the difference regarding the orange circles:
pic

The USB MIDI lettering:
pic

And the overall difference in brightness and illumination:
pic

and no, removing the protection tape did not make difference...  :D

So i'm guessing i can keep the 'younger module' seeing that there is a perfectly good explanation for the differences between them.
But if anyone can confirm that their s/n 05618 and up module is not as bright and illuminated out of bounds (hope that makes sense) as this one, please tell me.

Coda

Ok so I revise my theory: 2Box moved production from one company to a different one or the company itself farmed out production to another chinese company (which is quite common)... therefore they have a batch of older boards that have been put into new cases and so they don't exactly align.

Either that, or someone is making fake 2box modules. Although extremely inprobable, anything is possible these days. When I see fonts that are close but not an exact match I immediately think 'fake'.

fankelomia

That's one reason why i'm a bit sceptical - although it would be a really really good 'fake'...

Hyperactive suggested to take of the dials and check the face-plate itself - i did the first thing and the dials are actually nicely centered in the openings of the orange case, i did not do the second thing because it seems quite irreversible to me...
Although it would be really interesting to take the plastic face off and put it in front of a light to see how they compare.
They also told me that if the LEDs were misaligned then the knobs and dials shouldn't fit as good as they do (of course i asked them, remembering Codas first response!).

I send the pictures and a short description to 2box directly (not hyperactive) - maybe they can shed some (orange) light on the situation.

Coda

Well, it does seem like a quality control issue. I'm sure 2box will be able to set the record straight.

fankelomia

quick update:

After making the comparison photos (not the best quality though....) and sending them out, Thomann already responded and told me that 2box wants the unit back for diagnosis.

This is nice because i will get a different unit that hopefully will be illuminated like the first one but also means i will most likely not be informed about the result of the diagnosis, which would have been interesting.

Coda

Write 2box and tell them the # of the units being returned from Thomann, and ask them for a status update. It's only fair, as you've been considerably put-out.
BTW - I got my 2box from Thomann (and lots more besides) they have a good deal atm on BFD3 and Superior Drummer... and whenever I had issues with products they have been amazing.