News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2Box module settings when using Roland pads?

Started by olliraa, August 13, 2015, 08:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliraa

Hi.

Could someone please give me concrete/proven advice, how the triggering settings should be? We only have a few hours to practice a 30+ songs gig and I would not want to waste any time for fiddling with the 2Box settings.

The reason for using 2box module and Roland triggers is logistical: I have the 2Box Mk1 set and the sounds (from Addictive Drums 2 atm) are waayyy better that the Roland's, but in this lineup I play the keys. The drummer has  Roland set and I cannot travel to the rehearsal place with the complete 2Box set :/ I know the hats will not work, so I'm planning to take the 2Box hats and 2Box module with me (I can manage those) :)

Please, any good tips highly appreciated.

Coda

Until yesterday I used a CY12R/C (replaced it with a DIY crash) and a VH-11 (waiting on JMan's stealth trigger to arrive) with the 2box module. What I CAN tell you, is that those Roland cymbals are very hot, with the both of them I have the gain set to 0 and I still have to be careful not to hit the CY12R/C hard. I put a 33K resistor in the line from the VH-11. The CY12R/C works fine as a crash (using the bow/edge input and set as CyEdge in the module) and as a ride (using the bow/bell input and set as CyCup in the module). You will probably have to turn down the corresponding instrument a few DB to compensate for the hotness.

Triggering wise, you won't have a problem.

BTW - You didn't say which pads you are using - I didn't test the PDX8/PD8/CY8/CY5 before I sold the TD9, but I can assume they are also hot to the 2box module. Also you didn't say which Roland kit is at the destination. If it's a TD-9 or 15 or 25 you will have a DB25 connector at the loom which you cannot do anything with.

olliraa

Quote from: Coda on August 13, 2015, 08:39:47 AM
Until yesterday I used a CY12R/C (replaced it with a DIY crash) and a VH-11 (waiting on JMan's stealth trigger to arrive) with the 2box module. What I CAN tell you, is that those Roland cymbals are very hot, with the both of them I have the gain set to 0 and I still have to be careful not to hit the CY12R/C hard. I put a 33K resistor in the line from the VH-11. The CY12R/C works fine as a crash (using the bow/edge input and set as CyEdge in the module) and as a ride (using the bow/bell input and set as CyCup in the module). You will probably have to turn down the corresponding instrument a few DB to compensate for the hotness.

Triggering wise, you won't have a problem.

BTW - You didn't say which pads you are using - I didn't test the PDX8/PD8/CY8/CY5 before I sold the TD9, but I can assume they are also hot to the 2box module. Also you didn't say which Roland kit is at the destination. If it's a TD-9 or 15 or 25 you will have a DB25 connector at the loom which you cannot do anything with.

Ok, thanks for the info. I really don't remember what the Roland kit is, but it's not one of the expensive ones and not the ultimate cheapos either (around 1700â,¬ I think). if the kit has a "multi connector" at the back, can't I just replace the cables with the ones from the 2Box module? It has the same type of plugs at the triggers end. Or are the cables not detachable from the triggers end?

*EDIT*

The kit is TD-11kv

Yes, stupid questions, I know ;)

Coda

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid answers  :P

Yes, if there is a DB25 you'll have to replace the loom with the 2box wires (or any set of stereo 1/4" cables). The connectors at the pad ends are the same.

One thing that might be a problem if you use the Roland wires is the kick. On the 2box, the module supplies current on the ring of the kick connector (for those kick pads which contained lights). The Roland loom I had used a mono connector at the kick. If you DO use the Roland loom, the mono plug at the kick might short out the current being sent from the 2box module, and I don't know if that will cause any problems (though it isn't good in any case).

When I built my 2box loom, I used a mono jack at the kick, and a stereo jack at the module. I cut the ring wire short (I did not older it). Whatever you do, please use a cable with stereo jacks at each end for the kick (to make sure the ring and tip have not been joined together - you dont want the module cacking out on you a few songs into your performance).

olliraa

Quote from: Coda on August 13, 2015, 09:02:10 AM
There are no stupid questions. Only stupid answers  :P

Yes, if there is a DB25 you'll have to replace the loom with the 2box wires (or any set of stereo 1/4" cables). The connectors at the pad ends are the same.

One thing that might be a problem if you use the Roland wires is the kick. On the 2box, the module supplies current on the ring of the kick connector (for those kick pads which contained lights). The Roland loom I had used a mono connector at the kick. If you DO use the Roland loom, the mono plug at the kick might short out the current being sent from the 2box module, and I don't know if that will cause any problems (though it isn't good in any case).

When I built my 2box loom, I used a mono jack at the kick, and a stereo jack at the module. I cut the ring wire short (I did not older it). Whatever you do, please use a cable with stereo jacks at each end for the kick (to make sure the ring and tip have not been joined together - you dont want the module cacking out on you a few songs into your performance).

Ok, thanks a lot Coda :) I have the "enlightened" version of the kick :) I'll use stereo cables, so there should not be any short outs.

We'll start the practicing tomorrow, we'll see what happens :)

Coda

Best of luck! Please report back afterwards to let us know how it went.

Jman

There is no mention of what OS you are running. The latest OS 1.30 has added trigger parameters and I would suggest upgrading to that if you haven't already.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/