News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSoundTool 0.36 released

Started by Louis, January 21, 2010, 11:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis

Ok, I spent most of my spare time last 2 weeks to make a tool that you can use to create .dsnd files that you can download to the 2box module.

You can download it from http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool

It is based on Java and should run on all operating systems, although I only tested it on Windows (and an early version on Linux Ubuntu 9.10).

The software is not freeware; for the time being you pay by donating $30 to Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) or WWF; I hope you understand that I put considerable effort into this, and would like to see something in return, even if that means the idea that I perhaps helped to improve the world a little bit.

The software is really bare-bone and many features can be added. But further development completely depends on incoming mails with notifications of donations to these organizations.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Best regards,

Louis

Deve Loper

Hi Louis.

Aren't you from Sweden?
Nice initiative this editor.
Maybe we should PM about the details of the dsnd format.

We do have our own plans for an editor, but we are short on resources.
But since it's open sound, all the better with your work!
Just be aware that the format might change in the future.

Deve.

Manfred

Hi Developer,

why don't you publish the the specs for the dsnd-files? I think some open source software would start rising to have an editor. And a good editor would be a great argument to buy this kit.

I already bought it and I'm very disappointed that the editor isn't still available even though 2Box is advertising it. At the moment one of the main features of the kit can't be used. And since you are short on resources, I worry about the release date.

An open sound system is quite useless without the possibility to put some sounds in it.

Greets, Manfred

Quote from: Deve Loper on January 22, 2010, 10:07:14 AM
Hi Louis.

Aren't you from Sweden?
Nice initiative this editor.
Maybe we should PM about the details of the dsnd format.

We do have our own plans for an editor, but we are short on resources.
But since it's open sound, all the better with your work!
Just be aware that the format might change in the future.

Deve.

Scottie

Hi Manfred

The editor is being worked on as we speak. 2box want's to make the experience as smooth as possible for the end user, which as you probably understand all takes time to tweak and refine, until you get the balance that you are looking for. In an ideal world the editor would have been here from day one, but nothing ever runs as smooth as you would like it to, but rest assured that 2box are working every hour that they can to get these things done!

Hopefully they will be able to release some details soon, so please do not worry about the release date.  :)

Regards
Scott

madmanmafimardi

good editor. need alot yet, but works fine.
velocitycurves presets, for more electronic sound like sds5 and such, don´t wanna copy/paste and gain down 1800 samples and more to come.

2box 4ever

Manfred

Hi Scott,

thanks for your answer! At the german drummerforum Developer wrote that the release date for a (beta) version of the editor-software is march. This means at least two more month without one of the main features. Thats why I worry about the release date.

But maybe the problems with my snare pad can be fixed until then and I have a good working kit end of march.

Currently I paid about 2000,- Euro for being a beta tester for 2Box.

Regards, Manfred

Quote from: Scottie on January 23, 2010, 12:27:56 AM
Hi Manfred

The editor is being worked on as we speak. 2box want's to make the experience as smooth as possible for the end user, which as you probably understand all takes time to tweak and refine, until you get the balance that you are looking for. In an ideal world the editor would have been here from day one, but nothing ever runs as smooth as you would like it to, but rest assured that 2box are working every hour that they can to get these things done!

Hopefully they will be able to release some details soon, so please do not worry about the release date.  :)

Regards
Scott

Louis

Thanks for your feedback, but I do not really understand what you mean with your comments about copy/paste.

By default the tool assigns velocities automatically to each sample, based on the sample's volume; just put all samples for one sound in one directory and then go, have you tried this? Perhaps the manual is a bit unclear, the "velocities.map" file is only needed if this automatic calculcation of the velocity does not work.

Louis

Quote from: madmanmafimardi on January 23, 2010, 03:34:05 AM
good editor. need alot yet, but works fine.
velocitycurves presets, for more electronic sound like sds5 and such, don´t wanna copy/paste and gain down 1800 samples and more to come.

2box 4ever

nonoduweb

Hi Louis

I used DSoundTool to put some dance samples in the kit, with one layer, and all worked good. It was very easy to do that and the result is fun.

I understand nothing to the velocities and layers: I have made a dsnd file with the counts you gave in the examples folder, and the samples are played randomly in the kit.  ???

You have made a good job.  :)

Thanks  

UC

Quote from: nonoduweb on January 23, 2010, 01:34:50 PM
I think your software is too expensive, but you have made a good job.  :)
I think the fact the money isn't going into Louis' own pocket is pretty damn cool :)