News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Any 2bOX owners using Zildjian GEN16 type electronic cymbals?

Started by BeechCustom, July 30, 2015, 09:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeechCustom

Hello again.  Just wondered if any Drumit5 players are using the Zildjian GEN16 electronic cymbals.  Are they compatible with the 2Box system and if so how are you finding them?

Cheers Phil

Coda

I'm not using them, but I know of a few that are.
Compatibility is irrelevant because they don't connect to the drumit5, they have their own pickups and processing module. That's one reason why they are $$$.

Murgen

Quote from: BeechCustom on July 30, 2015, 09:51:42 AM
Hello again.  Just wondered if any Drumit5 players are using the Zildjian GEN16 electronic cymbals.  Are they compatible with the 2Box system and if so how are you finding them?

Cheers Phil

I play 2Box with Gen16 but default not compatible, separate systems, 2 modules. JMan sells triggers which enables you to connect the trigger to the 2Box module offering you the best of 2 worlds. Acoustic you will hear the GEN16 sounds, via the module the digital cymbal sample of your choice.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

BeechCustom

Quote from: Murgen on July 30, 2015, 10:05:29 AM
I play 2Box with Gen16 but default not compatible, separate systems, 2 modules. JMan sells triggers which enables you to connect the trigger to the 2Box module offering you the best of 2 worlds. Acoustic you will hear the GEN16 sounds, via the module the digital cymbal sample of your choice.

Thanks for the replies guys!!  So is it possible to connect the GEN16 module to the 2BOX module so you can hear both systems at the same time?  There's a video on youtube where a guy is using GEN16 cymbals on a v-drum kit and it looks like the GEN16 module just plugs straight in to the VDrum module.  Is this not possible with the 2Box system?

If not, how about putting both through a mixing desk?

Coda

If he is plugging the gen16 into the 2box, then he's likely connecting the line-out from gen16 to the line-in/mix-in of the module. The disadvantage of doing this with the 2box is that any FX you apply to the mix (EQ, echo) seems to also apply to the line-in, and whether chaining the signal like this can degrade the signal quality.

(Note: I have had my 2box only about a week, but I can tell you when I play something from my iphone through the line-in, and scroll through the kits, when I select a kit which has an EQ change, the sound of the backing track changes too. This will affect your gen16 cymbals if you've chained them into the 2box. Maybe there's a routing solution for this, but I'm not experienced enough with it to know).

For practicing I think it would be fine, but for live, maybe it's better just to give the sound engineer outs from both modules separately and let him solve the problem of finding free channels on the desk?

digitalDrummer

The gen16 "module" has an input for the module and a dial which allows you control the balance between drums and cymbals.

BeechCustom

On the Zildjian website they state: "The Gen 16 Digital Cymbal Processor will accept a drum module’s audio output into the Drum input jacks.  This will allow the two units to blend the audio playback."

This should be job done, yes?

If I buy GEN16 cymbals I will be using them for practise, teaching and also for recording.  I'm hoping the GEN16s will be perfect in a recording situation!?

Coda

Quote from: digitalDrummer on July 30, 2015, 12:28:35 PM
The gen16 "module" has an input for the module and a dial which allows you control the balance between drums and cymbals.
That's good to know it can be done that way around, and having the flexibility to use 6 outs on the 2box and 2 on the gen16 to keep things separated, if necessary.

Murgen

Quote from: BeechCustom on July 30, 2015, 01:08:22 PM
On the Zildjian website they state: "The Gen 16 Digital Cymbal Processor will accept a drum module’s audio output into the Drum input jacks.  This will allow the two units to blend the audio playback."

This should be job done, yes?

If I buy GEN16 cymbals I will be using them for practise, teaching and also for recording.  I'm hoping the GEN16s will be perfect in a recording situation!?

I have a mixer and hook up both modules to that mixer. Works for me.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

I use Gen16s triggered and with the DCP. I run everything through a mixing console. But a line out of the module to the DCP, or vice versa,  will work just fine.

BeechCustom

Cool beanz, thanks all.  I didn't realise that the cymbals aren't triggers as such, they have microphones.  This makes them less attractive to me.  If they were triggers I'd be all over them.  Am going to have a look at them soon.  Ity's difficault to find dealers with demo units though!

Peace, Phil

Jman

I like this idea of Zildjian's new lower priced .... low volume cymbal set: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LV348
Those will work great as another option to trigger using my Stealth cymbal triggers.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/