News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Anyone with Roland VH-11 and Jman's conversion box.?

Started by Benton, July 27, 2015, 08:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANGR77

Should work..(the VH-11 e-pad part with piezo/switch) the VH-11 pedal won't work but this might be known already because of the 2Box hall sensor implementation for the pedal. :-)

I would guess a proper calibration is needed to get it working fine.

Best regards

Angr77

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Jman

Yes, the VH-11, VH-12, or VH-13 all work with my box. Plugs in like this: TRS cable from the 2Box Drumit Five Hi Hat input to the Module jack on my box. TRS cable from the Cymbal jack of my box to the Trigger Out Jack of the VH-11 cymbal.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Coda

I'm using a VH-11 with a similar sensor and the only thing I needed to fiddle with was the magnet strength and distance from the sensor (strong magnets and further away seems to work better for me) which won't be an issue for you if you're placing according to his instructions. Be aware that the VH-11 pad signal is quite hot. I had to dial in about 40KΩ resistance before I could get the sensitivity good without any gain on the module. 

Benton

Thank you for the replies :rock:

I HAVE Got Jman's conversion kit on my VH-11 and it's working ok. Though i feel it could be working better. Not always responding so good from closed to slightly open, but i guess i have to tweek some more.
My question is about the bottom part of the VH-11 ( where the 2nd cable normally plugs in and it detects the open close function. Have you guys removed that part just let it sit there. ?

Coda

I've left the cymbal sitting on the position sensor which is not plugged in (obviously), purely because the top pad on its own will not stay still without it, without some kind of bottom plate (or big washer). When you close the cymbal, it still wobbles around a lot otherwise, and it doesn't feel very nice.

One thing, if you came from a lesser module which only reports closed, half-open, and open, you may find you need to do a little adjusting of your technique. This is true for me not having played an acoustic kit in many years. The TD-9 made my left foot lazy. Now I'm having to really concentrate on opening the hat 'slightly' instead of just opening 'somewhere' to get a half-open sound. The 2box hi-hat system is way more expressive, I just got to re-train myself.

BTW - I ordered Jman's Stealth 2box hi-hat sensor, I should get it next month - the VH-11 has served me well, but I want to go towards the acoustic look and a more realistic feel of real cymbals.