The easiest way to get ddrum3 sounds from the ddrum3 module?

Started by trommler_tom, July 20, 2015, 11:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trommler_tom

Hi there...
A friend of mine has ddrum3 module with some cool sounds.
I would like to "download/dump" the sounds to be able to convert those into DSND format for my 2box.

Does anybody have an idea how to get the sounds from the ddrum into a macbook?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Best
trommler_tom

Coda

I'll ignore the legal implications (someone else will probably love to jump on that) but as a techie, I'm just academically interested...

First, is the ddrum module open like the 2box? i.e. does it have a removable memory with sounds on it, and if so, in what format?

If not, then:
Is there a midi interface, and does it support a bulk-dump System Exclusive command so that the module then will spit out the binary data over the midi interface for you to be able to capture on the mac? (to those people scratching their heads at this one, yes there are some keyboards that do this, we used to back up keyboard sound banks and settings in the old days with our Atari computers like this).

If not that either, then you are stuck with 2 last possibilites:
1. Plug the outputs into an audio interface to your Mac, load up something like Sound Studio, and press record, and then play the "cool sounds" on the ddrum. Cut the recording into separate files later.
2. Pull the Flash/ROM off the board and wire it up to some kind of parallel capture interface (like an EPROM reader, or BUS-Pirate) so you can dump its contents. Load the contents as RAW into something like Audacity and manually scrub it until you find the waveforms. Copy+paste what you find into new audio files.