News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Cymbals 3 Zones not working correctly

Started by Erle, January 22, 2011, 06:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slap the drummer

Erle -

You will need a file with bell assigned to the main strike area of pad.  From scratch you can't dial in a bell
unfortunately because the cymbal files come as a package.  (Think I'm right.... ).

I'm assuming from what you say that you are using the built in sounds?

It's easily done but you will need the DSND tool which Louis made.  See here:-
http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/index.html
Personally I find this tool indispensable as a 2box drummer.

If you are using built in sounds with "world class producers", weren't they pretty cheesed off when
they saw your DM5 module?  Just curious....

And lastly, if you are selling, I'll be in the market for some spares too!

edtc

Quote from: nonoduweb on January 26, 2011, 03:46:28 PM
(does "DTC" mean what I think, in French?)

...yes it is ;)   E stands for "extreme"...  ;) just a silly "homage" to supreme NTM...
Quote from: Slap the drummer on January 26, 2011, 04:07:08 PM

If you are using built in sounds with "world class producers", weren't they pretty cheesed off when
they saw your DM5 module?  Just curious....

:)

lite

Quote from: Slap the drummer on January 23, 2011, 04:41:14 PM... three zones does not mean three triggers ... so the module has to "decode" the signal to calculate which part has been hit ... Is that ever going to work?

It has been working for 13 years already (old ddrum4 does it without any flaws: edge, bow, bell - independent from velocity, just pure zones - one piezo / mono cord).

I think Developer has stated in another thread that there is a problem with the serial production cymbals not providing enough signal difference for the module to do decent zone definition. He said it worked with prototype cymbals but not with the serial ones. Probably one of those possible flaws caused by remote serial production in China ... .

I think it could be fixed if 2box would make a working cymbal pad for zone sensing! The module (zone decoding algorithm) and pad (signal character of different zones) have to be adapted to each other. Only 2box can fix it with a proper pad.

As 2box advertised defined zone playing on the ride cymbal I think it is highly recommended they take care about it and come up with a working ride cymbal pad as accessory.

roel

Quote from: lite on January 26, 2011, 07:57:41 PM
It has been working for 13 years already (old ddrum4 does it without any flaws: edge, bow, bell - independent from velocity, just pure zones - one piezo / mono cord).

I think Developer has stated in another thread that there is a problem with the serial production cymbals not providing enough signal difference for the module to do decent zone definition. He said it worked with prototype cymbals but not with the serial ones. Probably one of those possible flaws caused by remote serial production in China ... .

I think it could be fixed if 2box would make a working cymbal pad for zone sensing! The module (zone decoding algorithm) and pad (signal character of different zones) have to be adapted to each other. Only 2box can fix it with a proper pad.

As 2box advertised defined zone playing on the ride cymbal I think it is highly recommended they take care about it and come up with a working ride cymbal pad as accessory.

yes 100% true.

Manfred

I read the same but i disagree with the conclusion that it is caused by production in china. For me it looks like an design change. Here is a old video where Bengt and Rik explain the drumit five. The bells of the cymbals look more flat compared to the production cymbals. At least at my cymbals the bell is more round.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x77xsg_batterie-electronique-2box-la-boite_music

The kit in the video looks like a prototype and you can also see that the brain has one more button  ;)

Manfred

lite

I think if you change something you'd better and quicker notice possible influence on the system if you have it in-house. Anyway, remote production is common. However, I would like to see such a design flaw removed. At least an accessory cymbal pad that works properly. If they don't provide an updated cymbal, they should at least provide software support for 3rd party cymbals zone detection. They are available!

Slap the drummer

Well it's not working now!  My point really was that if a software fix was possible they wd probably have come up with
it by now.  It's a hardware fix, as I think you went on to say.

I too would like to see it fixed as much as the next man.  I'm not holding my breath though.

-- But what is it with all of these designers?  You want 3 zones, then use 3 triggers - simple!