News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2Box Newbie here with a bass drum dillema

Started by CTSDrums, May 25, 2015, 01:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTSDrums

For starters, I live in the US an replacement parts are not as easy to come by.

And now to my message.

I just acquired a 2Box MK2 for a really reasonable price. It was listed as an open box/return and in addition to only coming with the pads it was also missing a few parts. Luckily I have a rack from an original Yamaha DTXtreme along with all the clamps/hex ball mounts, which worked perfectly to mount my 2box and I was able to order a replacement hihat magnet from Electronic Drum Center. However, the kit is also missing the bass drum rack mount.

My dillema is this: Does anyone know if the bass drum rack mount will work with any other rack aside from the 2box rack or should I invest in purchasing a different e-kick from a different manufacturer? It's hard to willingly spend $100 plus international shipping and then wait on the part without knowing if it will work on my rack when I could spend that money on a different bass drum. Does anyone know of where I could get this part state-side aside from a private sale of any sort of DIY mount so that it can sit on the floor instead of the rack? Or does anyone else have any other suggestions?

So far I love the 2Box. Luckily a friend of mine is letting me borrow an Alesis Kick pad and it gets the job done but it feels like im kicking a rock.

Thanks!!
-Justin

InTheBox

Do you use the 2box clamps on your Yamaha rack? The bass drum clamp is the same diameter as the tom/cymbal clamps, the larger side of the clamp connects to the rack bar.

However, from what I've seen of Yamaha racks they do not have a lower tube. You'll need this to connect the bass pad to the rack. Also, the 2box rack has curved bars. The tom bar curves away from you and the bass bar curves towards you to allow for the toms not to be too close to you.

There is no "official" stand-alone mount for the 2box pad. I jerry-rigged my own because I put my 2box on regular drum/cymbal stands.. but what works for me might not work for you..

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,2524.0.html

welshsteve

Have you tried contacting the US distributor for a spare part? Or even 2box themselves, I always get a response from a chap called Bangj, a very nice chap and always has an answer for me very quickly about all sorts of stuff.

Alternatively, if you know anyone (or yourself perhaps) that's a bit handy with metal, it wouldn't take much to rig one up yourself. There's a spare parts manual you can get from 2box you could use as a guide. It's basically, two sections, one L shaped piece which attaches to the kick drum pad on the vertical pat via 3 bolts with a drum key so it would be stock small tension rods you'd get at any decent drum store (like the ones you see on twin kick drum pedal linking arms) The horizontal part, two wing bolts which go through and attach to the second part, which in turn is attached to a pipe clamp. On the two box piece, its permanently attached to pipe clamp but if you were to make your own, I am sure a welded piece of cymbal arm thickness would be better and would mean you could use any gibraltar rack pipe clamp.

Just an idea. I am not good with metal work but my dad was a welder in his working years and fixed this exact piece when a thread got worn.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

InTheBox

I always found the 2box kick somewhat underdeveloped. Hopefully they'll come up with a better and more stable thing in the future. I contacted the 2box people and they said it will go on their wish list, perhaps a polite way of saying.. "it's not on our agenda". Perhaps the Roland/Yamaha designs are still patented.

I have a short term solution for my kit just now, but it's not elegant enough to be permanent. I think eventually I will build a kick from some pipe/shell and regular hardware. it will probably have a Roland/Yamaha look to it.

edtc

Quote from: InTheBox on May 27, 2015, 06:05:52 PM
  I think eventually I will build a kick from some pipe/shell and regular hardware. it will probably have a Roland/Yamaha look to it.

You re so right ... depending on how angry you play , the kick has to be steady ...

I ve converted a 20"x8" pearl traveller kick ... still compact and enough heavy to act like a bass drum ...  found the kit for 200 â,¬ with cymbals ( one of them was a 20" paiste sound formula ride from the 70" .... oh lucky day !! )

10 " 12" 14" Toms and the 13" snare are also ideal for E-pad conversion ...  and as you DIY , f--k those patents :)

... mine dont have the same legs that the one on the pic  .. but it looks ok ...

i began with converting the 14" tom with a Pearl JG16 Jungle Gig Adapter that costed 10â,¬ some years ago ... more compact , but i ended with converting the big one , and that works great for me  ...

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,585.msg7969.html#msg7969

CTSDrums

Thanks for the kind responses, all!

I did decide to give a ring to the US Distributor, he gave me the part # for the kick bracket and he had me go into Guitar Center to order the part through them, because that'd be cheaper for me. I think what I'm going to try and do goes back to a forum post you made back in November, InTheBox.

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=2340.0

I'm going to make a standalone mod like the guy in the reply. Or at least give that a whirl.

I'll let you know how it all pans out!

Thanks.

:drum1:

joeysculla