Stealth 2Box Expressive Hi Hat with Extra Tight Bow and Edge transitions Video

Started by Jman, May 21, 2015, 11:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman

I did a little experimenting this week. After thinking about the extra tight HH sounds that are part of the Roland VH-12, VH-13 performance on the high end modules, I thought I might try something when building a custom 2Box HH dsnd from a VST Hi Hat. I give a quick write up/explanation of what I did at the end of the video. Thanks for taking the time to watch, J
https://youtu.be/pbILsScyJxg
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

InTheBox

Wow - impressive. Not sure I understood the explanation at the end, though. :o

Was this a characteristic of that special hi-hat, or could you do it with any good hi-hat sample? Which VST did you use btw?

Jman

Quote from: InTheBox on May 22, 2015, 07:10:11 PM
Wow - impressive. Not sure I understood the explanation at the end, though. :o

Was this a characteristic of that special hi-hat, or could you do it with any good hi-hat sample? Which VST did you use btw?
That Hi Hat was built from Steven Slate Drums 4. The Soultone Vintage Hi Hat. The closed sound that you hear which is the tightest is an articulation that I added. But the "next to the tightest" closed sound is the normal closed sound of that Hi Hat. It is probably best to use a Hi Hat that already has a closed sound that is fairly tight, but yes you could do this on most Hi Hats.

I've read that you have built some dsnds using SDSE. I used SDSE to build this. Here were the steps:
Here is an example like that Hi Hat in the Demo ..... which had a Foot Splash, CLOSED, OPEN1,2,3,4 transitions for Bow and EDGE:

1. Load the VST Hi Hat instrument while using SDSE. Build a Hi Hat like you normally would, but do not press Convert, press Render.
2. After you have Rendered that you should have the 11 Hi Hat WAVS in your Sounds folder. Remove that folder and put it somewhere you can retrieve it later, Like your Desktop.
3. Next repeat step 1, but before you press Render .... this time use your Mixer section of your VST to tune the Hi Hat Higher, you decide how high seems good to you for the extra tight bow and edge sounds. Press Render.
4. Now you have a Sound folder on your desktop, and a Sound folder within SDSE. You might want to rename the Sound Folder in SDSE to Sounds High, so you know it is the High Pitched folder.
5. Go into the Sounds folder on your desktop and Rename all the WAV files except the Foot Splash. This is how you will rename:
Change only the last portion of the following WAV names and in this order: OPEN4 to OPEN5, OPEN3 to OPEN4, OPEN2 to OPEN3, OPEN1 to OPEN2, CLOSED to OPEN1,   . When you are done you will have all your Bow and Edge WAVS renamed in that folder.
6. Go back to the Sounds High folder (within SDSE): Take the BOW CLOSED, and the EDGE CLOSED files from that folder and move them to the Sounds folder on your Desktop.
7. Delete the Sounds High folder (within SDSE).
8 Move the Sounds folder from the desktop back to SDSE where it was originally.
9. Start SDSE and press Convert. SDSE will convert those WAV files to a Hi Hat .dsnd with Xtra tight transition.

digitalDrummer

As usual, very impressive. Once again, I take my hat off to your creativity.

Jman

Thanks for the kind remarks guys.

Allan, hope you're doing well. Talk to you later, J

Steve

I think you may have done it. I would have to play it but that might be the best playable HH if all that works at lower velocity hits. It would great to watch you in action on the computer while making the dsnd.  So SDSE makes the dsnd? Do you have use the 2 box sound editor to make the DSND HH in the HH sections?

Jman

Quote from: Steve on May 23, 2015, 09:20:24 PM
I think you may have done it. I would have to play it but that might be the best playable HH if all that works at lower velocity hits. It would great to watch you in action on the computer while making the dsnd.  So SDSE makes the dsnd? Do you have use the 2 box sound editor to make the DSND HH in the HH sections?

All in SDSE. Not the sound editor on that one. I sent you an email. J

Lustar

InTheBox

Trying this with Eco and the Paiste SoundEdge hi hat.. a few questions:

6. Go back to the Sounds High folder (within SDSE): Take the BOW CLOSED, and the EDGE CLOSED files from that folder and move them to the Sounds folder on your Desktop. 

Do you replace the sounds in the original folder with the higher pitched sounds??

9. Start SDSE and press Convert. SDSE will convert those WAV files to a Hi Hat .dsnd with Xtra tight transition.

I've done all of the above, but how do you load the files to SDSE? It's not doing anything over here..

InTheBox

Quote from: InTheBox on May 25, 2015, 06:17:45 PM

Trying this with Eco and the Paiste SoundEdge hi hat.. a few questions:

Do you replace the sounds in the original folder with the higher pitched sounds??

I've done all of the above, but how do you load the files to SDSE? It's not doing anything over here..

Ah.. shame on me for not reading the description close enough..

But still not able to get SDSE to do anything with the WAVs

Jman

Quote from: InTheBox on May 25, 2015, 06:35:27 PM
Ah.. shame on me for not reading the description close enough..

But still not able to get SDSE to do anything with the WAVs
You might want to contact Lustar. It is prolly something simple you're doing wrong.

InTheBox

Lustar came through as usual  :D

It was just a small misunderstanding on my part. I thought the files had to be in the Program files/SDSE folder, when they had to be on the desktop. When I moved them back to the desktop SDSE Sounds folder it worked fine. ;D