News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Need HH advice (no not that!)

Started by Coda, May 14, 2015, 08:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coda

Hey all,
Background: I'm very soon moving to a 2Box setup. I will buy a module, and DIY everything else. I bought the cheapest TD-9K about 5 years ago to get back into drumming and it's served me well, however now I need better sounds, better triggering, and more realistic feeling. We all know that the Hats are a special problem to solve with moving from any other mfctr to 2Box, and I have the controller portion of that problem covered.

I bought a VH-11 about a year ago, and I think it's great on the TD-9 (even if the TD-9 doesn't use it to it's full potential) so I'm considering keeping the cymbal portion, using that with a new 2box compatible controller, and selling the Roland controller on Evilbayâ,,¢ or something. However, I'm really thinking also about cymbals as a whole and possibly making my own A2E's from a set of cheap Sabian/Paistes or moulding some funky coloured acrylics. Not sure how I'm going to achieve reliable DIY edge triggering but I think that it's something I can solve, but the issue is really how to approach the hats.

So to the meat: should I keep the VH-11, or make my own hi-hats (acrylic or brass)?. If I could sell the whole VH-11 it will inject a bit more cash into the available budget (I don't think I'd get much for just the controller part).

Opinions please.

fulrmr

There would certainly be a small market for the controller portion of the VH11 as I have seen posts of those who wished they could just buy that part from Roland for whatever reason but it's not available alone. That said I think it would be easier to sell it as a whole and invest the cash into your DIY cymbal project. 

Coda

Thanks for the response. I need a reliable system as I'm still playing regularly in church, but I'm not under any pressure to sell it just yet, so I'll keep using it until I've either converted a brass or made an acrylic that I'm happy with. I bit more research has shown me that it should be an attainable goal. After that I can then sell the whole vh-11.