News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Pearl Epro live

Started by GravityRobert, January 12, 2010, 10:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remi

Selling only the module is not a good option I think.
The possibility to buy the module seperate is.

There are always people who want's a complete set out of the box.
Also the investment that already is made wiil be thrown away.

The hardware isn't so bad, need changes at some points but I think they work hard on it.

puttenvr

I don't like the just 2 colors to choose from option either
I want red sparkle

roel

Quote from: puttenvr on January 13, 2010, 04:34:27 PM
I don't like the just 2 colors to choose from option either
I want red sparkle

Iam curious  because the dm 10 pro has a single zone hihat, will pearl offer single zone or dual zone hihat?

a700256

One of the things that attracted me to the Drumit 5 was the look, which also included the stand hardware. The Drumit 5 looks totally different from any other e-drum set out there because of the pad, stand and color scheme combination. I own and have owned  several e-drum kits through the years, including a Roland TD-20, Simmons V and SDX and they do not have the contemporary look that the Drumit 5 has. It looks just as good in the living room as it would in the studio or on stage, which means that it probably has the best WAF (wife acceptance factor) in the market. A point to consider next time you have a gripe about the stand hardware is that it does not look or perform like the other e-drums out there, it stands out above the rest. So, just consider it a work in progress, that with some adjustment by a company that fully supports their product, will eventually get its customers and users to the place that they have been begging for - e-drum nirvana!!!

NeilC

OK I have been away from the office today and been itching to watch that video, and have just done so now...

Hmmmmm.

The toms/snare sound awful (in my opinion) and HH doesn't sound too nice either. From what I can here the ride and some crashes/splashes/chinas sound nice (bell, edge etc).

BUT.....

Most people buy an eKit because they are somewhat smaller and quieter than an acoustic one. This is virtually identical in size to an acoustic kit and I can see (not hear) a massive amount of acoustic noise happening, maybe. If they have created heads that feel, look and sound like real heads, then I'm sure they will! And eCymbals made from brass??? This is going to be louder than than my Sabians!

I just think Pearl are jumping on the  bandwagon and have maybe done it without any real R&D into what people actually want from an eKit.

As for the collaboration of other sound manufacturers, this is the only thing where Pearl will succeed in this arena as they are a massive well known company - and companies like to be associated with names like Pearl.

I will NOT be getting rid of my DrumIt Five soon.... or ever!

I like Pearl (my acoustic kit is one) but I think they may have jumped on this without any real thought.

puttenvr

Perhaps Pearl feels the economic crisis as well and now jump into anything that moves: the e-drum market. Today Roland sells more kits than Pearl. That's to think about.

fishmonkey

given that the module appears to be a rebranded DM10, most likely those eCymbals are rebranded Surge cymbals...

drew

You guys, cannot complain about the color, you are 2Box fans. Really. Please. Do not even go down that road, because you will lose.

My thoughts on this: not something I would use/10

Of course, it's not as simple as that. So I look further, and I see...

superfluous product/10

I mean, it's not even theirs. Is it? They're smarttrigger drum heads, DM10 module, FXpansion/Tunetrack/Slate sound libraries, and Pearl doesn't even make their own acoustic cymbals so there's no way these are  original products either. The only thing Peral here are the shells, and even those already existed years before the product came out. Which is funny, considering that the marketing hype before this was "A completely revolutionary new product that will rock the EDrum industry and change the face of music... FOR EVER!" That's not hyperbole from me, which I do love, that is entirely along the lines of what the actual reps were saying.

So, let's leave aside the fact that I have no interest in an e-Drum system in an acoustic shell because I am somewhat apathetic towards stylistic things and prefer the substantive advantage of having small pads and a set that folds for easy transport. I'm quite aware that not only do others disagree with me on this but that I'm apparently in the minority here. Fine, whatever. I accept that this is something a lot of people want and will pay a horrific amount of money for. So. For those people. Is this a winner? Frankly, I dont' think so, because it's all rebranded. If you want the DM10, buy a DM10; if you want BFD in your DM10, buy that expansion, and if you want smarttriggers to play on, buy those... and then if you want to put them in Pearl shells, buy those. Or Tama shells. Or DW shells. Or Sonor shells. The world... is your oyster!

However. How-ever.

The one thing that these things can do that I think is new and kind of useful is that you can switch the electronics out with a minimum of fuss and then have your acoustic kit. Someone said it in another thread earlier, but edrums are everywhere, and thanks to sponsorship deals nobody is allowed to talk about it. Rush uses edrusm everywhere and they hide it by putting the pads in DW shells. This is just hte next logical progression of that. I can see why it'd be Pearl who'd make that move because Joey, as a producer, needs the ease of VST samples and then, as a Pearl drum endorsee with signature snare line, also needs his acoustic drum reputation to not be besmearched by the dirtydirtyevil secret of him using Stevenslate getting out. I'm sure there's quite a few other drummers that are in his exact same position; Jarzombek has cymbal endorsements yet most of the time you see him recording for FXpansion. Portnoy has been very vocal about his Sabien and Tama sponsorships even to the tune of trying to sell people the rhythm watch, and that is the only reason I can think of for why you'd try and tell aspiring drummers that they need a $100 metronome. I could go on but there's no point. That's not even covering all of the gothic metal drummers that blend their drums with samples live and don't tell anyone.

So I see this product being useful for that one reason alone, however, I think it's only useful for established drummers in the music business and not nearly as important to those that are just starting out. Fortunately that woudl make the market for this product people who have money, so they'll make a killing, and any competition in teh edrum scene is a good thing as it forces everyone to play catchup with each other. Now Roland is the only player left still clinging to modeling and this will squeeze them more. So that's a good thing, too. But as for the product itself? Yawn.

nonoduweb

Quote from: Manfred on January 12, 2010, 10:46:02 PM

Well, you shouldn't confound RAM with Flash-Memory. Compared with a common PC, the 4GB Flash-Memory at the 2Box-Brain are the "harddisk". I haven't seen an information about cpu, RAM or other components of the 2Box-Brain. But if the editor (or the spec for the soundfiles) is available someday, we will see what happens if we try to use sounds with 400-500MB for one drum set. I hope the RAM in the brain is large enough.

Greets, Manfred

Hi, I don't know if I will help  :P...
I think the 2 box brain uses the 4gb as a ram. It would take a lot of time uploading the samples from the flash memory in another ram when you change the kit number. I think it loads only the headers of the dsnd files in its ram (32 mb?).

HM

Quote from: drew on January 14, 2010, 01:11:17 AM
So, let's leave aside the fact that I have no interest in an e-Drum system in an acoustic shell because I am somewhat apathetic towards stylistic things and prefer the substantive advantage of having small pads and a set that folds for easy transport. I'm quite aware that not only do others disagree with me on this but that I'm apparently in the minority here.

I also do appreciate the easy transport of e-drums. I really don't mind if I don't have to carry my acoustic drumset around anymore.

alpine

TBesides 2box two of the most innovative company's on the planet are Yamaha & Roland! The new DTX from Yamaha looks amazing especially the new silicone pads. Check the videos out at: http://dtxdrums.yamaha.com/library/t...drums/dtx950k/
Re the Epro from Pearl, Keep in mind the reason Pearl does not have anyone making electronics in a technology wing at their factory is because it doesn't exist! Pearl bought this entire idea from another company - which means there is a middle man that results in higher costs and warranty issues. The r.e.d.box from Pearl is a rebranded Alesis DM10!

Re the Epro from Pearl...Here is a quote from "Brundlefly" at drummerworld.com who has just played it at namm "Played them today. Overall, I think they may be the worst electronic kit I ever played. I also played the Alesis drums and they are in fact, the same. Same brain, same sounds, same hi-hat mechanism. And just like that kit, the hi-hat is almost unplayable and the dynamics are practically non-existent across the entire kit. I was very disappointed because the basic idea of having a convertible kit is great. Too bad they partnered up with Alesis and pushed out a half-assed product.

Exciting new products in the edrum world include:  The MULTI 12 from Yamaha (which allows you to load your own sounds into it) http://dtxdrums.yamaha.com/library/t...s/dtx_multi12/
The new Roland Octapad SPD-30 http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=spd-30
Korg's new Wave drum. and also the new TMI from Alternate Mode is getting great response.

As it stands, the best use for Pearl's new e-kit is to actually use it as an acoustic kit that can be converted into a nearly silent practice kit. in That regard , it does pretty well".

puttenvr

But we already had acoustic kits, which can be converted to e-kits
So what's new?

And please look at this

This is a thick shell which resembles the Pearl Rhythm Traveller I had.
Cheap wood with a simple, single 45 degree bearing edge which causes a minimum acoustic characteristics

boekhour

I don't understand. Why use acoustic (big) shells, which do have no function  at all regardeing the reproduction/triggering of the electronic drumsound. I think there is a risk that the acoustic shell will make to much sound themselves. And they are bulky carrying around...  I don't shame myself that my 2box is looking like a real electronic kit. It is as functional as it is and has no wood which woudl only count for the looks but has the disadvantages mentioned before.

Compliments for the hardware from pearl. I wish they had done that at 2box.

puttenvr

The only function is/could be that you can switch to real acoustic drums, if you want

Another drawback regarding the Pearl E-pro: you can only load 1 (lush) VST kit into the small memory and NOT take the snaredrum from one VST kit with the tomtoms from another. I read on other forums that the hihat is single zone and the rims have only one volume. Nice try, Pearl ... nice try ...

roel

everybody saying that the redbox has only got 128 mb ram memory.
remember that the ddrum 4 se module has 8 mb memory,they sounded for real.

so can the pearl sound like a ddrum 4 se I think its possible or Iam wrong about that?