Gigging 2Boxers, does your triggering change over the course of a gig?

Started by 0sparky0, April 10, 2015, 02:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p929

Quote from: Jman on April 10, 2015, 07:00:35 PM
Here is a link to one adapter I have bought and used personally. And the specs are what 2Box recommends (18VAC 500ma):  http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Power-Supply-Charger-Adapter-Transformer-Output-18v-18-Volt-500-mA-mAh-5-Amp-/221352638349?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3389a5378d

Jerry, have you measured the output voltage of those plugpacks? in another thread I describe how I'm measuring 19.6V with a generic plugpack, and I don't know if the unit is gonna be damaged if I use it. Could you please check if those plugpacks you report to work nicely have also higher voltages? I'd really appreciate it :)

tassuperkart

As mentioned before M8, did you measure that voltage open circuit (unconnected) or connected to something running?
Depending on the transformer output windings impedance, unloaded you can see an error of 20%, so <>19v AC is to be expected.

You must measure the output voltage connected to a load to get any kind of believeable reading. 2Box recommends 500Ma AC so a half amp (9 watt) dummy load at 18v is what you need.
Not much in lighting easily available for 18v so a low wattage 24v automotive dash globe will suffice.

What would be helpful here is a schematic of the 2Box power supply.
From that it could easily be determined what input voltage variation the module will tolerate happily and end the argument forever.

E

Coda

Quote from: tassuperkart on May 09, 2015, 05:22:25 AM....so a low wattage 24v automotive dash globe will suffice.
Or if 2x 12v bulbs connected in series, if one has a way to connect them together (or if the OP has a soldering iron).

hotchap

Quote from: 0sparky0 on April 10, 2015, 02:27:12 PM
First off, I love my 2Box module.  I've been using it on my converted acoustic kit a fair amount and am noticing some odd stuff.  Primarily, with the kick and hi hat, but one gig also with the snare.  I am using the JMAN hh box with Roland VH11 hats on a DW stand.  My gigs typically run approximately 4hrs, with two 15min breaks (give or take).  I have not been turning the module off during breaks so far. 

What happens is that around 3hrs in, the kick drum starts to trigger erratically, and the hi hat also starts to double or triple fire.  The kick isn't as much a concern as the hi hat.  The foot control works well if im doing 1/4 notes fairly slowly, but if I pick up the speed or increase the foot use on the hat, it is just constant mis-firing.  This generally doesn't happen early in a gig.  There are also random events on toms and cymbals that don't trigger when they should.  Again, the bulk of which happen roughly 3hrs after the module is turned on. This is really my MAIN issue, as I tend to like to use the HH footboard a lot.

The one snare issue I had, was that the snare all of a sudden only triggered at one (high)velocity.  Unfortunately, it happened during a snare heavy song (The Devil Went Down To Georgia), which wasn't awesome, but we got through it. The snare was acting normal until that song, then just gave up the ghost. I wound up changing the snare, or maybe even the kit (don't remember) and went on with the show after that song.

I have noticed, and mentioned to JMAN at one point, that it feels as if, once I have the HH foot moving steady quarter or eighths, with steady ride, ghosts on snare, and generally busier stuff happening, that the kit tends to not register everything, almost as if it can't handle too much at one time.  Like it misses lots of hits on everything. 

I typically transport the hi hat on the stand, standing up, so there isn't any shifting of stuff.  I don't remove the HH controller unit.  I do calibrate the HH every use, then when it starts getting wonky I do it again.  I've looked through the HH posts here and will try a bigger gap between the hats.  Will also confirm my settings are right.

Anybody else notice triggering changes after the unit has been on a while? And any specific settings I should try?  I use this thing at least a couple times a week, and generally feel like it works fine, until it feels like not working fine.

Thank you!
Hi, I recently upgraded to OS 1.30 and had the 2 box trigger kick, snare, cymbals erratically. Its the first time i've encountered this after the upgrade! Ill probably try downgrading and see if the problem persists.

Sebastian

Jman

Quote from: p929 on May 09, 2015, 03:11:57 AM
Jerry, have you measured the output voltage of those plugpacks? in another thread I describe how I'm measuring 19.6V with a generic plugpack, and I don't know if the unit is gonna be damaged if I use it. Could you please check if those plugpacks you report to work nicely have also higher voltages? I'd really appreciate it :)

Sorry, I missed this. Yeah, I have the original 2Box adapter, plus 2 others. And have used all of them for extended periods. So I know they are all good. The original 2Box registers 20.7V, Same 20.7V for the Spec Lin adapter I linked earlier. I also have one I bought years back from Mouser that registers 21.6V ...... that is without a load on any of them. The specs are the same though on all 3..... as recommended by 2Box. 18VAC, 500MA.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Coda

It shouldn't matter anyway, the 2box cannot use AC current and has to covert it to DC itself. This means that the voltage limit will be whatever the limit is of the particular part(s) they are using to rectify and smooth. If I had a 2box yet, I'd open it and have a look, then pull up the datasheets. A few volts above 18 certainly will not cause a problem, but I'd like to examine a module to see exactly what's going on.