News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hot headphones

Started by geo, March 06, 2015, 05:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geo

Hi all - I'm running the 2box through an interface and using the headphone out on it for monitoring. Issue is, it's running extremely hot (presumably because my headphones are low resistance). What would be the best in-line circuit to tone it down? Would interface -> [plug -> pot -> socket] -> headphones work, or does there need to be more to it?

edtc

why cant you just lower the input volume comming in the interface  ?   

you could use OUT 1-2 set to " MIX " ... OUTs from 1 to 6 have a line level output that is 6db lower than the PHONES output ...

geo

Even with the input levels at 'barely usable', the headphone output is still too loud. Specs say it's 250mW per channel at 50Ohm, not sure what the headphones themselves are.

Murgen

I hooked my module up to a mixer and there is my headphone too. Can you tell us the name/brand of the headphone you use?
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fishmonkey

confused. are the headphones plugged into your interface, or directly in to the 2 Box module?

digitalDrummer

Usually, people have the opposite problem - headphone level is too low.

Jman

Yeah, what Allan said was my exact thought. I don't think anyone has ever mentioned headphones, too loud, and 2Box in the same sentence before. You didn't explain what interface you are using or how you are hooking your 2Box module up to the interface. And I think you are saying the headphones are too loud monitoring with them somehow through the interface, but it is impossible to troubleshoot your problem with the lack of info.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

geo

Yep, it's the interface that's the issue:

2box line out -> interface -> interface headphone out (250mW @ 50ohm) -> in-ear headphones (16ohm, 113dB SPL) -> death and pain

But:

interface headphone out -> over-ear headphones (32ohm, 106dB SPL) -> fine and dandy volume-wise, but sounds bleh

I wanted to make up an in-line adaptor to use with the in-ears to avoid any permanent modifications:

interface headphone out -> adaptor -> in-ear headphones -> sweetness and light

Was thinking plug -> pot -> socket, but apparently pots degrade audio pretty badly?  Or is there another approach that's better?

Jman

It may be as simple as adding a volume control adapter for headphones. http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155954-VC20-Volume-Control/dp/B00001P4XH/ref=sr_1_1/191-7832628-4466804?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426093957&sr=1-1&keywords=headphone+volume+control+adapter
I didn't see any stats as far as the resistance, but you might try looking for a headphone volume control on eBay or whatever is local for you (wherever you are in the world). J

Edit: on your original question though .... that headphone volume control in the link is basically just an adjustable pot. So I'm sure you could build an adapter if you preferred.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/