News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Keeping Decibel level same between kits

Started by wildhorse5678, February 07, 2015, 10:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildhorse5678

I dont know if its my ears , but if I set the volume level say to 2 for a tom with one kit, and set a tom in another kit to 2 the sound level appears different.  I am about to use my 2box for live gigs and will be swicthing between maybe 10 different Kits .  Howe csan I sop the sound engineer going mad because the decibel levels change between kts even though I have them set to the same internal volume in the drumit five brain.  I do have installed on my Pc both the standard 2 box sound editor and the Lustark Dkit manager 

edtc

it s normal ... all Dsounds are sampled from different drums , with different players by different engeneers ,  so all velocity layers  dont have the same loudness ...

So you ll have to is to compensate with the volume settings ... after all , it s done for this purpose ....

what you could  also do is to import the dsounds in a wav editor and change the volume there , to have less difference between kits ..

wildhorse5678

I was afraid of that. I was going to connect the unit to a mixer and use that to equalise the output signals for each kit. But i wanted to see if there was a quicker cheat.

mcrackins

Quote from: wildhorse5678 on February 07, 2015, 05:27:42 PM
I was afraid of that. I was going to connect the unit to a mixer and use that to equalise the output signals for each kit. But i wanted to see if there was a quicker cheat.

If you individually bus each drum on it's own output, you can disable the onboard levels and control the levels via mixing board or through an audio interface.

analoguekid

This is exactly why 2box kicks ass...you can control the sound of each drum, and the FOH guy can mix everything just like he's used to...when I show up with my orange kit, the first thing I tell the sound guy is that I'm going to send him individual outs for each drum...they all love that compared to getting a stereo send from other electronic systems...

wildhorse5678

The bus idea wont work for us live because the mixing desks in local venues wont have enough inputs. But can you tell me if the bus system works with a kit that has 4 toms and 3 cymbals... Ie can i route all 4 toms to one or two outputs for recording . Do i lose any tiggers eg rims

analoguekid

How many channels can you rely on getting?  when I use my acoustic kit, I get
1. Kick
2. Snare
3. Hat
4. t1
5. t2
6. t3
Last weekend I rolled out the 2 box and had to run
1. kick
2. snare
3 all toms
4. all cymbals...
we only use 16 channels and I'm going to be taking 8 of them...all hail the king!

wildhorse5678

Im a bit slow .. Can you explain did you put all toms on output 3 and all cymbals on output 4 is that what you mean ?  I dont have a mixer at home so its tricky for me to try out different things

geo

The quicker cheat is to use the kit-level mixer. Each sample has its own individual volume level. You can change it on KIT â€" DRUM - VOL.

wildhorse5678