News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

My DIY Hihat controller box

Started by Beethoven, February 04, 2015, 02:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beethoven

Here is my construction.

Because i'm using it with my Roland FD-7 i decided to build it as small
as possible.

Instead of using outlets in the box i use cables.

The cable for the brain is about 50 cm long and has
a female connector.

The cable for the cymbal is about 200 cm long and has
a male connector which you can put directly into the cymbal.

If anybody is interested i could make some more boxes. Just send me
a PM.

Manfred

Hi Beethoven,

great to see that somebody continues to make hihat controllers for all the DIY people. Especially for those in Europe because they don't have to pay turnover taxes on imports.

Maybe you can post some more details on the technical stuff. I guess its a same circuit as the original hihat and can be used with (almost) any 2-zone cymbal in combination with a magnet?

Regards, Manfred

Beethoven

Hi Manfred,

of course i use the same circuit because the brain doesn't give any other choices.
It should work with almost any 2-zone cymbal.

The most important is the magnet and it's position in relation to the sensor.
That's were the DIY part kicks in.
In my case with my Roland FD-7 i use a neodym N45 magnet 15 x 2 mm which
i fixed to the pedal with double sided tape.
The maximum distance to the box is ~ 20 mm. The minimum is close to 0. Just
not touching the sensor box. Depending on the hardware you will have to
play with those parameters and the settings in the brain to achieve the best result

Juergen

edcito

Hervorragend! Excellent work Ludwig Van B :-) Care to share a video of your box with the FD-7?

ANGR77

Nice! Can i ask you about how you did do the nice cable labels?

Angr77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Beethoven

@edcito Maybe i'll do when i have a little more time.

@ANGR77 Search for RhinoPRO. I used the heat shrink tube.

Juergen

ANGR77

Many thanks Beethoven...a complete new world was opened...very nice!
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

roel

I use the hihatbox from Beethoven and its working great with my Ddrum 4SE Hihat!
triggering is very good, also footsplash,open hihat closed hihat and in between everything is working fine.
I say kudos to Beethoven for his work with this hihatbox!

zobeltek

Hi Folks, first post after much reading on site.  I have many questions, but this just piqued my interest....

I'm an old ddrum2/AT/4 user just now discovering 2box.  Can you explain a bit (or a lot) how and if my ddrum4 hat pad might be integrated to 2box as I read on this post? I'm scared to just plug my ddrum4 hat pad in to my 2box. But I can't help but be curious if it's possible.

Yes, I've purchased the Jman mod, which is excellent, but I'd like a spare on live gigs and I've got two ddrum4 hat pads here already...I still like my old ddrum stuff.

Thanks Jerry for your helpful replies and kit/card supplies if you do read this.

Kind Regards, Scott.

ANGR77

Hi. Just would like to comment this...I was talking to Bengt at 2box and according to him so was the old dd4 hat based on the the same magnetism system( using the same Allegro 1392 circuit) They just used the same design when defining the 2box HH.

But...would I dare to use it with 2Box....no I think it needs to be studied further before entering and use it with the 2box module.

Best regards

Angr77 / Zourman.com