News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Fxpansion module announcement NAMM2015

Started by Murgen, January 19, 2015, 09:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murgen

Quote from: fulrmr on February 02, 2015, 05:37:07 AM
Interesting post by chris k on vdrums stating that this module will be able to use any VST samples converted with SDSE. This changes things just a bit (as in more customers for Lustar which is way cool)  :rock: but 8 samples still limits these expansive libraries. Meh...still better than Roland sounds though. ;)

That will not solve their DRM issue??
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

Quote from: Murgen on February 02, 2015, 08:05:13 AM
That will not solve their DRM issue??

Yeah.... Go figure.  ::) and it never will. ;)

digitalDrummer

BFD3 can load any .wav samples. So, theoretically, if you can produce DSNDs, you can extract .wav files from them and import into BFD3. I think that's what he means.

Jman

With SDSE you can export WAVs instead of dsnds if you want. 
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Murgen

Quote from: Jman on February 03, 2015, 03:06:44 AM
With SDSE you can export WAVs instead of dsnds if you want.

I think Lustar is in business but it will not solve their DRM fear, unless the 8 layer limitation is as designed ...
--------

Chrisk

New info, the module at Namm did not have the latest firmware which have some "synth" feature to reduce machine gunning etc.The current module existing arch supports up to 4GB RAM, now it is fixed to 512mb, not populated for the release, they will be larger module later which support much more layers and up to 4gig memory.

Murgen

I would have been impressed if they implemented it with Wifi and 128 MB SSD but they came up with 4 GB and USB ...
--------

Jman

Just to be clear, I asked at the NAMM show more than once about the specs and regardless of what may or may not happen on future modules I was told this kit will ship with 512MB and 8 layers as the limit.

fulrmr

Quote from: Jman on February 07, 2015, 04:43:10 PM
Just to be clear, I asked at the NAMM show more than once about the specs and regardless of what may or may not happen on future modules I was told this kit will ship with 512MB and 8 layers as the limit.

I'm sure all companies have "future plans" for their product. Whether it has a future has yet to be determined though.

I imagine getting a new product like this off the ground is a great undertaking Everything is a gamble but sometimes it's better to gamble a bit and jump in with both feet rather than "test" the water. Many good ideas and products fail because of releasing a "dressed down version" of their genius instead of the "full monty" and the "too little too late" perception and expectation from consumers keeps them from gaining any future ground.

They have a better product than some others. But that only helps if they have unlimited or lots of venture capital....and patience. Only time will tell for sure though.

Chrisk

Quote from: fulrmr on February 07, 2015, 06:09:39 PM
I'm sure all companies have "future plans" for their product. Whether it has a future has yet to be determined though.

I imagine getting a new product like this off the ground is a great undertaking Everything is a gamble but sometimes it's better to gamble a bit and jump in with both feet rather than "test" the water. Many good ideas and products fail because of releasing a "dressed down version" of their genius instead of the "full monty" and the "too little too late" perception and expectation from consumers keeps them from gaining any future ground.

They have a better product than some others. But that only helps if they have unlimited or lots of venture capital....and patience. Only time will tell for sure though.

Actually think it's a bright decision to start with one mid\low price with the Capital they have (owned by KHS Musical Instruments LTD Trademarks ) https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/...s-ltd-2394492/, for them it's nothing really to be worried, I talked to 2 local store and most sales on Roland was the td-11\ td-15, because of the price tag, and way lowers sales td-30,  the Yamaha DTX500 range and dtx700 range came after, 2box was not selling much because what it's projecting at the first look overall and the hardware, they removed from the floor, some buying the module only, I think most sale on 2box are online.

Honestly I rarely saw any company that made Edrum with only one model and live 8 or 10 years with it, unless there is no more developer or are gone, I don't think you can survive and hope future development this way, you need to refresh with new things, and get noticed on the market everywhere, this is what  Alesis, Roland, Yamaha are doing since day 1 and it works, low\mid\high range, each new model released, the older one get outdated, end up on ebay, and bought new model, company still developing with new income etc.

They definitively enter on competition with Roland\ Yamaha with this module, and think later, Skot told me  there is developing going, the existing architecture supports up to 4GB RAM, but this module on the first kit is fixed to 512MB and 8 layers, larger memory unit on the roadmap.

Jman

Quote from: chris k on February 07, 2015, 08:41:02 PM

Actually think it's a bright decision to start with one mid\low price with the Capital they have (owned by KHS Musical Instruments LTD Trademarks ) https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/...s-ltd-2394492/, for them it's nothing really to be worried, I talked to 2 local store and most sales on Roland was the td-11\ td-15, because of the price tag, and way lowers sales td-30,  the Yamaha DTX500 range and dtx700 range came after, 2box was not selling much because what it's projecting at the first look overall and the hardware, they removed from the floor, some buying the module only, I think most sale on 2box are online.

Honestly I rarely saw any company that made Edrum with only one model and live 8 or 10 years with it, unless there is no more developer or are gone, I don't think you can survive and hope future development this way, you need to refresh with new things, and get noticed on the market everywhere, this is what  Alesis, Roland, Yamaha are doing since day 1 and it works, low\mid\high range, each new model released, the older one get outdated, end up on ebay, and bought new model, company still developing with new income etc.

They definitively enter on competition with Roland\ Yamaha with this module, and think later, Skot told me  there is developing going, the existing architecture supports up to 4GB RAM, but this module on the first kit is fixed to 512MB and 8 layers, larger memory unit on the roadmap.

Hey, I wish you the best with the NFUZD. Hope it really works out for you. But honestly the 2Box module as you point out being so old still beats the crap out of every single module on your list and is far superior at this point to the NFUZD IMO. And it's roots goes back to DDrum that was also ahead of the times. If people prefer other drums/hardware to go with it there are choices because of how compatible it is. If you look at Yamaha compatible pads for DTX modules you will find a short list, and that is generally just Yamaha products. Even if NFUZD releases an adapter for their 1/8" 4 ring jacks I think you will find that it will be similar to Yamaha in that if you want the pads that offer all the features you will need the NFUZD pads. John already told me that the NFUZD module is set up on different voltage/resistance than for instance Yamaha .... so I doubt you will even get a 3 zone result on a 3 zone Yamaha pad/cymbal with the NFUZD module.
Just my opinion here obviously ..... but to me it is like trying to get me excited about driving a VW Beetle when I am already cruising in a Porsche.

Chrisk

Quote from: Jman on February 07, 2015, 11:49:17 PM
Hey, I wish you the best with the NFUZD. Hope it really works out for you. But honestly the 2Box module as you point out being so old still beats the crap out of every single module on your list and is far superior at this point to the NFUZD IMO. And it's roots goes back to DDrum that was also ahead of the times. If people prefer other drums/hardware to go with it there are choices because of how compatible it is. If you look at Yamaha compatible pads for DTX modules you will find a short list, and that is generally just Yamaha products. Even if NFUZD releases an adapter for their 1/8" 4 ring jacks I think you will find that it will be similar to Yamaha in that if you want the pads that offer all the features you will need the NFUZD pads. John already told me that the NFUZD module is set up on different voltage/resistance than for instance Yamaha .... so I doubt you will even get a 3 zone result on a 3 zone Yamaha pad/cymbal with the NFUZD module.
Just my opinion here obviously ..... but to me it is like trying to get me excited about driving a VW Beetle when I am already cruising in a Porsche.

Hi,
I was not referring to 2box as outdated, my main concern is until there is not enough companies that do VST compatible module with constant development module, they will be squashed on the background, and Alesis\Yamaha\Roland etc will still doing their stuff and get the upfront on store\ online,  the development on the VST side will still be hiding and slower for module, with 2box and now Nspire, and soon the Kat with BFD, things can start to change and get more talked around, for the price tag and feature compare to the others side Alesis\Yamaha\Roland, there is nothing to compare for the sound, even if I did not tried, I know Npsire ( the one even from Kat\bfd) will sound better overall then Yamaha\Roland\Alesis at a very good price, right now I use VST with td-15 on Midi, I am waiting on new alternative not really Npsire, but from what they said, they will continue development and this is only good to force others to change, I am looking more like 2box but a "new improved version" on the market, whatever which companies will do NSpire or others etc, hopefully something are in the works, like we heard from dev or others.

If Roland\ Yamaha will start this, and I will not be surprised someday, now we are in business, things will really get improved and really fast in Sample\VST or wav import\ layers module on the entire Edrum market, new innovation we never thought about it, we will all win here.

Jman

Quote from: chris k on February 08, 2015, 04:31:56 AM
Hi,
I was not referring to 2box as outdated, my main concern is until there is not enough companies that do VST compatible module with constant development module, they will be squashed on the background, and Alesis\Yamaha\Roland etc will still doing their stuff and get the upfront on store\ online,  the development on the VST side will still be hiding and slower for module, with 2box and now Nspire, and soon the Kat with BFD, things can start to change and get more talked around, for the price tag and feature compare to the others side Alesis\Yamaha\Roland, there is nothing to compare for the sound, even if I did not tried, I know Npsire ( the one even from Kat\bfd) will sound better overall then Yamaha\Roland\Alesis at a very good price, right now I use VST with td-15 on Midi, I am waiting on new alternative not really Npsire, but from what they said, they will continue development and this is only good to force others to change, I am looking more like 2box but a "new improved version" on the market, whatever which companies will do NSpire or others etc, hopefully something are in the works, like we heard from dev or others.

If Roland\ Yamaha will start this, and I will not be surprised someday, now we are in business, things will really get improved and really fast in Sample\VST or wav import\ layers module on the entire Edrum market, new innovation we never thought about it, we will all win here.
Sorry that I misunderstood. I think we will see things moving more in the sample based module direction. But we'll just have to see where it goes. It is good to see the progress in Edum systems in general. For so many years we were at the mercy of just a couple companies with a corner on the market and deciding whatever improvements they thought we should have. Edrums are in pretty much every music store now and we are starting to see more ideas/advancements from new companies. A good thing, IMO.