News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Fxpansion module announcement NAMM2015

Started by Murgen, January 19, 2015, 09:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman

I can see this kit with the BFD sample playing capabilities as direct competition for some of the Yamaha DTX line, and some of the Roland kits for sure, and definitely better than a Pearl EPro or Alesis DM10 kit. The sound module ala carte though seems like it will really be more useful for people that already own the NSPIRE kit and want to add more NSPIRE pads, cymbals, etc. because at this point they are clearly gearing this to their own pads.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

fulrmr

Quote from: digitalDrummer on January 27, 2015, 05:00:13 AM
Let's put this in perspective. It's a $750 module - half the price of the 2box. It is a sonic blank slate that allows you to choose from thousands of instrument sounds, add FX, etc.
What does the competition that sells for much, much more offer?  On the whole, a locked box with limited sounds. Even 2box can only be exploited properly with a third-party tool, a hardware hack and some experience.
And let's not forget that most buyers are not at all like the enthusiasts we have here or on the other FB groups and forums. They are punters who buy a kit, plug it in and play it. That's it.
Time will tell, but I can't see John Emrich, FXpansion and the development team putting their names to a second-rate offering.

First I've never seen a 2Box module for $1500 US. So the "half price" "perspective" is a tad bit embellished and for the real price difference the 2Box offers way more for the price point than even most of the modules that truly are closer to twice it's cost....and stands alone in it's feature set. That said, I do agree with your statement in general about the punters but we would be remiss if we didn't point out the limitations of the is compared to the only real competition it has in this category. I myself even when beginning my journey, as  punter, was looking for exactly what was available module wise in this category of which there were none. VSTs were the appeal that drew me in because of sound quality but I had to settle for the closest "synthesized" option available at the time. I would have been upset if upon buying this unit if no one had pointed out it's limitations compared to my other options especially in reference to the future upgrades as my drumming skills increased. Not all "punters" are "impulse" buyers and most that are, become quickly disappointed with their purchase shortly after they discover what options were available if they had only taken time to search. Just because one is a "punter" does not mean they don't want to get the most for their money. Full disclosure and information is key to and educated decision and purchase.

Also we both know that "Hack" is harsh description that usually implies some sort of illegal or unethical act  which is so far from the truth,(unless referring to my drumming where the term is quite accurate)  ;) and the "Modifications" made to enhance the 2Box are far from evasive, permanent or subversive and can be performed by even the most inexperienced "punter" with no specialty tools or skill set. So at least the 2Box can be "exploited" properly with very few future limitations in expandability and flexibility while this particular module will never be more than what you see. As for "second rate", as in "crappy gear" I highly doubt it also, but most definitely "second" to flexibility and features to 2Box none the less.

digitalDrummer

Quote from: fulrmr on January 27, 2015, 06:32:39 PM
First I've never seen a 2Box module for $1500 US. So the "half price" "perspective" is a tad bit embellished

From Musician's Friend:

MSRP:
    $1,711.10

fulrmr

digitalDrummer

Not sure yet of the street price of the NSPIRE module, but I stand corrected.

fulrmr

Quote from: digitalDrummer on January 28, 2015, 01:46:30 AM
Not sure yet of the street price of the NSPIRE module, but I stand corrected.

Just to be fair minded here, if the price that I've seen of $750 is  US MSRP for the NSPIRE module....lets put this into true perspective in proportion to the difference of the two 2Box prices. That would make the speculative Musician's Friend price approximately $525 or just a bit more. Indeed that would make the NSPIRE the biggest bang for the buck "Entry Level" module on the market. Yes...then it would be "half the price" of the 2Box module, but still Not in 2Box's league. It would be, however, in a league all its own well above the current entry level offerings in that price range. Once again...still no competition for 2Box. ;)

Chrisk

Quote from: Jman on January 27, 2015, 05:42:39 AM
I can see this kit with the BFD sample playing capabilities as direct competition for some of the Yamaha DTX line, and some of the Roland kits for sure, and definitely better than a Pearl EPro or Alesis DM10 kit. The sound module ala carte though seems like it will really be more useful for people that already own the NSPIRE kit and want to add more NSPIRE pads, cymbals, etc. because at this point they are clearly gearing this to their own pads.

I asked a question to them and the info I got, apparently they will release later "adapter" to allow others DIY\ others brand to works with the module, we will see this later, I am not sure how they are interpreted the "Adpator" tough.

fulrmr

Quote from: chris k on January 29, 2015, 01:52:23 PM
I asked a question to them and the info I got, apparently they will release later "adapter" to allow others DIY\ others brand to works with the module, we will see this later, I am not sure how they are interpreted the "Adpator" tough.

"later" could also be very subjective...and possibly mean "never". ::)

Chrisk

Quote from: fulrmr on January 29, 2015, 04:45:11 PM

Well this was the answer I received from nspire facebook message 2 days ago about the adapter, and from Digital Drummer facebook in public Skot Mcdonald during Namm time, now I start to understand what he said "trigger electrical format conversion boxes in the works" this is probably what he called "adapter"??   and another things he said , this is different, trigger-IO boxes together via CAT-5 cable to boost trigger inputs.

I only share info what I got, until they don't finish the web site and forum online, some things are not clear

digitalDrummer

Quote from: fulrmr on January 29, 2015, 04:45:11 PM
A bit harsh, I think! This is in response to a company that didn't even exist a year ago.

fulrmr

Quote from: digitalDrummer on January 29, 2015, 10:31:43 PM
This is in response to a company that didn't even exist a year ago.

Exactly. However, you know as well I do that there have been hundreds of companies in the past that promise the moon and deliver a less than impressive slice of cheese or nothing at all. So pardon me if I state a possible outcome based in reality.  ::) I hope I'm wrong. There's potential there..lets see if they live up to their hype. Playing the kit a bit instead of babbling about it's supposed features would be a good start.

Murgen

I'm one of the guys that brought the topic here. I have no reason to bash NFUZD because I'm glad there is a newcomer. Just that makes 2Box more established than before and I just don't like bashing (some Dutch guys still bash on 2Box ... yes, I mean you, you sneaky anonymous XXL dude).

It is very honest from FXpansion to admit that protecting the VST-products is very important for them and an important parameter in the design.

What puzzles me is the marketing strategy. Starters go for 500 - 1000 dollar models, advanced for 1000 - 2000 dollar models and the experienced drummers for 2000 dollar and beyond. You might expect advanced drummers want better sounds and that is where NFUZD comes in. But can they please those drummers with this kit? Time will tell. The other backdrop is that the DIY population cannot work with the module and kit because of the proprietary design, so it seems.

Food for thought but all together I'm pleased there is a new kit on the block. :)

--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

edtc

Maybe they plan to release a more high end module in the future , with more layers ....

Murgen

Quote from: edtc on January 30, 2015, 05:00:25 PM
Maybe they plan to release a more high end module in the future , with more layers ....

We will see ... What a terrible avatar you have 😁
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

Interesting post by chris k on vdrums stating that this module will be able to use any VST samples converted with SDSE. This changes things just a bit (as in more customers for Lustar which is way cool)  :rock: but 8 samples still limits these expansive libraries. Meh...still better than Roland sounds though. ;)