News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

USB port can be used for midi

Started by ANGR77, December 13, 2014, 11:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANGR77

I am going to do the patch on my used box. Is it possible to go beyond 32GB? Have anybody tried 64 or 128 GB SD cards?

Looking on the design, it looks like they had plans for an external slot...if looking where the card is located. Have anybody had the guts to make a slot hole directly on the 2Box box in line where the slot is located?

Best regards

Angr77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Lustar

32GB is the maximum but it's usually enough to store all the kits you'll really want to use. You can also use as many cards as needed, it takes a few seconds to switch.

thecompetition

From the horse's mouth.
When the DrumIt module was developed, there were few sdhc cards which were fast enough. It took LOTS of tests and different cards to find those with the correct access times etc.
So to have a user accessible slot would give LOADS of support questions because users would likely buy the cheapest largest sd card and end up with stuttering behaviour. That's it.
Have a nice xmas all.

Jman

2Box could have put a card slot accessible to the outside of the module. That is not the problem. The problem is because there are very few cards that will work without latency or work at all for that matter. Plus the 1001 ways that people could find to screw things up. It would have been a nightmare for 2Box if they had made the card accessible, 10 times more service calls, returns, etc.

The way it is now, it is a simple mod to put the card reader in and it is non destructive, reversible, and for 2Box it is not their responsibility.

Even with the clear instructions we have on the forum there have been plenty of people that have corrupted the cards after doing the mod by plugging in the USB port of the module and trying to access the module via USB port while they have an SD card over 4GB in the slot, formatting the cards wrong, putting OS and Bin files in the wrong partition of the card, using incompatible cards, etc. etc. No modules have been harmed though. Just a card replacement in some cases. Anyway, finding tweaks and modifications to improve electronics, audio equipt., music hardware and software is always going to be around for those who just like to crank it up a notch ...... see what this baby can really do! ;) ;D
and in the case of the 2Box module ...... it's pretty awesome IMO.
J

Edit ....... I just read the post above me after posting my reply ...... yup I talk to the same horse's mouth quite frequently.....  ;D
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

thecompetition

".... yup I talk :) to the same horse's mouth quite frequently"
I can guarantee you, that's not the same horse..

Jman

Quote from: thecompetition on December 20, 2014, 11:42:06 PM
".... yup I talk :) to the same horse's mouth quite frequently"
I can guarantee you, that's not the same horse..
yeah, I was talking about Bengt, not to imply that he is a horse though ....  :)

ANGR77

Thanks for the reply.

Jman - You are probably right regarding the increased support. But I don't think the problem is very much different from other gears using SD cards like video cameras and sound recorders...many of them request for faster SD-cards. Most often these manufactures posts a support document with approved SD cards. Another thing which hit me - is there actually a complete image posted of the SD-card shipped with the 2Box?

Reason for asking- I can see that my used box has been patched and don't include all sounds.

Posting this baseline could be useful for people who had blown their SD-cards...and want to get back to the original supportable state.

Best Regards

ANGR77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Jman

Quote from: ANGR77 on December 21, 2014, 12:07:08 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Jman - You are probably right regarding the increased support. But I don't think the problem is very much different from other gears using SD cards like video cameras and sound recorders...many of them request for faster SD-cards. Most often these manufactures posts a support document with approved SD cards. Another thing which hit me - is there actually a complete image posted of the SD-card shipped with the 2Box?

Reason for asking- I can see that my used box has been patched and don't include all sounds.

Posting this baseline could be useful for people who had blown their SD-cards...and want to get back to the original supportable state.

Best Regards

ANGR77
If you do a bit of browsing through the old threads you will see it isn't as simple as a list of compatible cards because even the cards that are compatible don't always work as the manufacturer might change the chipset from different factories or batches. I've personally tested hundreds of dollars worth of cards. It isn't like your requirements for typical cameras. Read Access time of cards is one of the more important stats, and that stat is rarely posted. And most devices Read Access time is not really important.

Also, as far as replacing sound files, reformatting card, reloading with all the original sounds and latest OS, etc...    has been covered quite a few times .... I'll see if I can find you some links.

Jman

Here is that link with info on updating OS, replacing missing sound files, etc.
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,2236.msg19631.html#msg19631
And here is a text file I uploaded that shows all the kits in the newest modules plus the sounds associated with the kits:  https://files.secureserver.net/0sT2uRFM1qQrTx

The best thing I would suggest is make a backup of your current module, then go to the source of the latest full 2Box soundset in the 1st link I posted. Download the new soundset, new OS system, and replace everything on the module/card. Then you are starting with a module that is basically like new.

If you plan on doing the card mod, you can delay doing that stuff and just start off with all the latest on the new card.

ANGR77

digitalDrummer

Quote from: hemiboy on December 19, 2014, 12:45:00 AM
Allan, What are you playing ,mostly, these days, 2 box, or td 30
I am playing mostly VSTs and really only use modules for trigger testing these days. At the moment, I have two modules connected to my kit - 2box and DM Dock, but I generally have both the 2box and TD-30 conencted (I have split all the trigger outputs into two so that I can run two modules simultaneously.