News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Best kits??

Started by peanutismint, November 08, 2014, 07:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutismint

I'm enjoying using my 2Box and am starting to add samples from my VSTs, but I was wondering whether people had already shared their favourite edited kit selections (made up from freely available drum samples or the ones that come with the 2Box unit) as I want to fill my 2Box with as many different acoustic drum kits as possible, but I don't care too much for the electronic kits or the random weird loops and percussiony type sounds....!!

Anyone got a link to some kits I can try??

Murgen

I like the rock samples from the 2Box website, the dry ones, not the ambient ones. Their red sparkle GSM samples are nice too, don't see the red sparkles but hey, it is for free. ;)
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

peanutismint

The downloads bit of the 2Box website confuses me.... Or perhaps I'm just stupid....

It seems like when you finally click through, there's some pages that have some weird sound downloads from a band nobody's heard of, or a random sampled instrument like a cajon or some percussion, or a link to download one drum by itself (like a particular snare etc), but I was kinda hoping they'd just upload full kits, so you could add them in to your standard dkit setup....??

Or am I missing something??

Murgen

--------

peanutismint

Haha I was literally just browsing that page, in case I'd missed something....

To be fair to them, there are a good number of samples available, but it's not the most user-friendly layout, both in terms of how the sample pages are arranged on the site or in terms of how the samples are offered (like in separate zip files etc)...

Personally, I'd have liked to have seen a selection of 'kits' each in one downloadable ZIP file or similar, with all the samples/DSND files neatly arranged... I guess they assume people will want them separately to edit/customise their own kits, but a lot of us (like myself) just want to play a bunch of different 'whole' kits! :-)

Oh well - back to exporting my 30GB+ of Superior Drummer sample libraries!!  :rock:

Murgen

I'm convinced that those peeps are brilliant in e-drums but miss basic web skills to make it easier for us. :) The other way around is also on the market, ... R.l..d .... :D
--------

wildhorse5678

I think the problem with complete kits it that each individual sound is very heavy on memory. If you try to add a complete kit without first removing something from the unit to create space then there wont be room for every thing.  Also if you do upload the individual drum sounds and file them in the correct folder eg toms in tom folder, they will be readily available for you to swap and use in otherkits , if you want to change toms when playing the kit and with the brain unit conected to the kit (ie not the pc)....then you can simply turn a knob and select a different tom.   If you upload a whole kit to the unit and it gets filed as say Streaplers kit you cant easily find the Streaplers toms  if you want to use one on say kit number 1.  It can be done but not as easily.   I initially uploaded complete kits but then realised by filing the individual sounds in the proper folders it was more flexible.  I think the 100 kit configurations are very random . Im a gigging drummer and need to quickly change between kits depending on song and venue acoustics. The main difference is the tom sounds ie are they going to cut through. So im rearranging and renaming the kits by type of tom, then if th walnut toms kit doesnt cut through i can easily turn to a different set eg maple and use that. 2box dont make it that easy to find out whats does what. You may find it of use to checkout. www.2boxfornewbies.weebly.com Which has some videos i did

peanutismint

I'll admit it is nice to have all the individual sounds to use to 'build' your own kits in-unit, but I'd also like to have a higher number of 'matched' kits, i.e. kits that have been chosen by others for whatever reason because the different drums/cymbals resonate well together.

Also, size becomes almost a non-issue when you add the external storage mod as many here have (my DrumIt currently holds about 20GB of high quality samples from the Superior Drummer line and sounds incredible).

p.s. thanks for the link to the blog/videos! Will look forward to checking them out later :) Where are you from? You sound local...! (I'm in South Wales)

wildhorse5678

Just for the record, i am originally from The Rhondda valley but now live and play in Sheffield.

peanutismint

Haha amazing! I'm actually doing sound in a theatre in Merthyr today but I'm originally from Sunderland. It's like we've swapped places....