News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

ROLAND vs. 2BOX with Superior Drummer

Started by mrallgood101, October 26, 2014, 07:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrallgood101

This is a question that probably can best be answered by former and current Roland owners.

In terms of greater responsiveness, dynamics. less-latency and overall better performance.... Do the Roland sound modules (TD-11, 12, 15, 20 or 30) trigger Superior Drummer better than the 2Box module plays  the the sampled sounds of Superior Drummer? 

When I talk to several 2Box owners they say the 2Box is better by far due to the multi-layer sampling ability the 2Box has - which causes the module NOT to machine gun. But when I talk to some Roland VDrum owners they say Roland modules is clearly better with Superior Drummer because of the better triggering, positioning sensing, and other features that only Roland modules have.

Which one performs best with Superior Drummer? (or Addictive, BFD, etc).

fulrmr

IMO...midi is midi....period and if all you are looking for is a TMI(trigger to midi interface) then forget all about any of the features "inside" the any of the modules. Your features will come from the VST. It will be your PC/laptop/sound card etc. that will matter the most for latency and performance. Once you forget about all the module Hoopla between the the 2brands the 2Box still comes out the winner for me in this situation as it's half the cost of the TD-30. ;)

Now looking back at the modules... for TMI only...then the MegaDrum will be your fullest featured option with the smallest price tag. It is just a TMI...no internal sounds period. As for the other 2...the 2Box still wins just because it can take all your favorite kits from these VSTs and port them directly to the module via conversion software for simple module reliability without all the extra outboard gear and possibilities of crashing during a gig. The Roland offerings can not do this as they are tethered to their own internal sounds...forever. They probly won't crash either but you are stuck with their limited sounds....and expensive price tag for any future upgrades. Again...just my 2 cents. :)

digitalDrummer

I would have to disagree. There is a big difference in triggering speed, sensitivity, positional sensing, hi-hat variability, etc - and all of that matters when you're triggering VSTs.
Personally, I'd recommend Roland above 2box for VSTs because of the triggering responsiveness.
The big advantage of 2box is the sounds - if you're not using those, then Roland is the way to go.
Or wait for the new DITI from Alternate Mode.

Murgen

Quote from: digitalDrummer on October 27, 2014, 10:48:25 PM
I would have to disagree. There is a big difference in triggering speed, sensitivity, positional sensing, hi-hat variability, etc - and all of that matters when you're triggering VSTs.
Personally, I'd recommend Roland above 2box for VSTs because of the triggering responsiveness.
The big advantage of 2box is the sounds - if you're not suing those, then Roland is the way to go.

Can you indicated from which Roland model this applies. Because only then the cost component starts counting too. For the rest, I agree. If you can afford a dedicatedish computer and all VST software licenses next to the e-kit TD30 (also TD15) is the way to go. :)
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

Quote from: digitalDrummer on October 27, 2014, 10:48:25 PM
The big advantage of 2box is the sounds - if you're not suing those, then Roland is the way to go.

Hey Allan.... can you provide some numbers on the "speed" because I have no clue on exactly what the latency is between the 2 or if the average ear could even tell a difference. And frankly I didn't "feel" much difference(if any) in sensitivity between the 2 modules. As for PS...sure...only Roland has that but if the VST does not support it...then that point is kinda mute isn't it and I would gather to say that most folks wouldn't miss it anyway? HH variability will be a controller issue  as both modules run the full spectrum and when set up correctly the 2Box performs every bit as well as the VH-13 from my experience. The DITI does seem promising though as a viable option....whenever it actually hits the market. ;)

Of course IMO all this depends heavily on playing style, application and budget too.

I'm still of the opinion that if triggering VST is your only goal, Roland is much to too expensive and the lesser cost options are a much more intelligent choice. :)

With all that said I will add that the TD-30 acts as its own sound card so that would be 1 less piece of external gear one would have to chain together for VST triggering. :)

mrallgood101

Thanks guys! Great answers and insight. BUT... here's where I'm a little confused...

digitaldrummer said...
"Personally, I'd recommend Roland above 2box for VSTs because of the triggering responsiveness.
The big advantage of 2box is the sounds - if you're not using those, then Roland is the way to go.
"

that's a very fair and honest answer, because you credited both modules at what they both do best....The roland=best triggers, and the 2box=best sounds. But the question isn't do the roland TRIGGER sounds better than the 2Box TRIGGER sounds. The question is... does the Roland TRIGGER sounds better than the 2box PLAYS those same sampled sounds better when sampled into the 2box module?

fulrmr

Quote from: mrallgood101 on November 01, 2014, 02:21:00 AM
Thanks guys! Great answers and insight. BUT... here's where I'm a little confused...

digitaldrummer said...
"Personally, I'd recommend Roland above 2box for VSTs because of the triggering responsiveness.
"

that's a very fair and honest answer, because you credited both modules at what they both do best....The roland=best triggers, and the 2box=best sounds. But the question isn't do the roland TRIGGER sounds better than the 2Box TRIGGER sounds. The question is... does the Roland TRIGGER sounds better than the 2box PLAYS those same sampled sounds better when sampled into the 2box module?

I'm pretty sure Allan's opinion on this already answered your question with his with the statement you quoted. Me...I'm not so sure...that's why I asked him for some latency numbers which would tell the tale mostly. However....your computer gear and sound card will make or break the deal no matter what module/TMI you have. Either way...the 2Box still costs way less than the TD-30 and gives you the extra benefit to use those favorite VST kits reliably elsewhere should you leave your home studio environment without all the hassle of dragging all the PC gear with you. :)

Murgen

Quote from: fulrmr on November 01, 2014, 05:17:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Allan's opinion on this already answered your question with his with the statement you quoted. Me...I'm not so sure...that's why I asked him for some latency numbers which would tell the tale mostly. However....your computer gear and sound card will make or break the deal no matter what module/TMI you have. Either way...the 2Box still costs way less than the TD-30 and gives you the extra benefit to use those favorite VST kits reliably elsewhere should you leave your home studio environment without all the hassle of dragging all the PC gear with you. :)

I do not like to spent money on an expensive pc or laptop in my drumcabin. The 2Box is a much easier and cheaper solution. I can update and edit on my office system and take the SD to the drumcabin and presto!
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

Quote from: Murgen on November 01, 2014, 06:13:50 PM
I do not like to spent money on an expensive pc or laptop in my drumcabin. The 2Box is a much easier and cheaper solution. I can update and edit on my office system and take the SD to the drumcabin and presto!

Exactly! 8)

mrallgood101

jpsquared

Hi Guys,

It seems there's some confusion or uncertainty on the point of this topic.  I'm looking to address the same question: 

Is a 2Box with a VST loaded into it (not triggering via MIDI) a more responsive system than use of a current Roland module (TD-30, 15, or 11) triggering the same VST in an optimal PC or Mac? I'm not likely to take the module out of the home studio, so I'm not concerned with portability or crashing.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

hemiboy

I liked that Murgen, PRESTO! All kidding aside, it is so on the money!

fulrmr

Quote from: jpsquared on November 23, 2014, 02:51:07 PM
Hi Guys,

It seems there's some confusion or uncertainty on the point of this topic.  I'm looking to address the same question: 

Is a 2Box with a VST loaded into it (not triggering via MIDI) a more responsive system than use of a current Roland module (TD-30, 15, or 11) triggering the same VST in an optimal PC or Mac? I'm not likely to take the module out of the home studio, so I'm not concerned with portability or crashing.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

If you already have a complete VST system currently that you are pleased with(no matter what module) I would just save your money and continue playing. However if you are going to go and buy all this gear or just another module to go with your VST computer system then the 2Box is more than sufficient and comparable to Roland ...and the future options for playing VST without the extra gear are still there should you ever need them(Roland does not have this option at all)...and depending on the Roland module you are looking at...thew 2Box is probly less expensive also.

jpsquared

Thanks for the suggestion, Daniel.  I am really enjoying the VST rig I have.  I guess, like a lot of us, I'm looking to be sure I have the best system available for the path I've taken.  If the 2Box has better triggering HH response, and lower latency, I'd probably go for it.  If it's not a real noticeable difference in terms of latency, I'll stick with what I have.  I prefer having a full screen at my fingertips anyway...

fulrmr

Quote from: jpsquared on November 24, 2014, 02:02:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Daniel.  I am really enjoying the VST rig I have.  I guess, like a lot of us, I'm looking to be sure I have the best system available for the path I've taken.  If the 2Box has better triggering HH response, and lower latency, I'd probably go for it.  If it's not a real noticeable difference in terms of latency, I'll stick with what I have.  I prefer having a full screen at my fingertips anyway...

There may be some info available out there with hard numbers comparing latency and such. I was hoping "digitalDrummer" may have some archived somewhere in the multitude of testing that they do,  but I have not seen any.