News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Triggering entire 2Box module via MIDI-out from my Roland module...?

Started by peanutismint, October 23, 2014, 06:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutismint

I bought a 2Box module to use alongside my Roland TD-8. I'm still waiting on swapping out the 2Box hi hat but everything else should work with my Roland mesh pads.

Rather than change all my trigger inputs over to the 2Box trigger inputs, I figured I could just trigger the box as a 'slave' by sending it the MIDI output from my Roland brain. This kinda works, except the triggers/MIDI notes are all jumbled up.... Snare triggers hi hats, kick triggers tom, toms don't trigger anything...etc.....

Is there an easy way to change this and make sure the 2Box is sending the incoming notes to play the corresponding sounds etc? Is there anywhere I can read a list of which notes trigger which 'drums' on both Roland modules and the 2Box module?

I always thought there was a set layout for this, as it seems to be the same for most other drum modules/VST plugins, but apparently 2Box like to be different....!!

peanutismint

mrallgood101

Oh cool! So you use a Roland TD-8 module AND the 2Box module together, right? If so, how's that working out? What benefits do you see by having both? This is exactly what I'm contemplating doing.

peanutismint

Well I don't personally use both together, but I know for a fact some folks do...

I was simply trying to use the MIDI out of my Roland during this 'transitional phase' until I get the 2Box completely set up properly, so I can easily switch between both modules by just plugging my headphones into the one I want to use at that moment, rather than unplugging all my pads and triggers from one module and plugging them back into the other... But I'm sure you could run two modules at once and blend the sounds, or have some pads running samples and some running the modelled sounds of a module like the Roland.

mrallgood101

I forgot which post it was, but I remember reading a couple days ago when fulrmr told a new member how to use both modules by simply using a "Y" jack. I believe that would allow BOTH both modules to be plugged into ONE input, eliminating the need to unplug anything. Which at that point, you can actually have all kind of setting. You can have one module not be the snare while the other IS the snare, or both. OR...you can have setting where the 2box is used for the Kick, snare, and toms....while the Roland's being used for the hi-hat and cymbals. Or... at create a setting where at times both modules play together! This was kinda my curious thinking. I mean.... you don't lose anything going that route at all!   

peanutismint

That Y-split idea sounds good, but you're basically achieving the same thing as I am by chaining the modules via MIDI... It's triggering samples on one module, but passing the same MIDI notes to the second module and triggering those samples at the exact same time... Without having to buy 9 x TRS Y-splits :-)

For me personally, though, I have little desire to keep both modules. I came to electronic kits from playing acoustic all my life, and it's pretty much just a convenience thing for me (i.e. that I can play at any time, day or night, without bothering people with noise, and also record my playing as if I were on an acoustic kit but without having to set up all my mics etc.).

Once I've made 100% sure that I like the 2Box kit and that all of my Roland triggers work well with it, I'll more than likely sell the TR-8.  But I will be sad to see it go - apart from not having very realistic drum sounds, it has great capabilities (moreso even than the 2Box) and has been great fun to play with.

mrallgood101

Hmmmm... i think if I had a Roland module AND a 2box module... I would definitely try using them both. Then after trying them both, and if it seemed like a waste of time and no real advantages....then i'd chuck the Roland.

I would try using the Roland for cymbals and hi hat the same way a lot of e-drummers use Gen16. Hey, drum sound-wise, 2Box wins. But you have to admit....when it comes to the hi-hat.... the Roland ain't no joke! lol

How is the 2Box cymbal performance & sounds working out with your Roland cymbals? Or do you have Jman's Stealth cymbals?

fulrmr

Quote from: mrallgood101 on October 30, 2014, 12:05:12 AM
But you have to admit....when it comes to the hi-hat.... the Roland ain't no joke! lol

Really? I can't admit that at all. I have to disagree with this. Roland hats, while well tailored and proven, still don't sound anywhere near as good as the real samples that 2Box and VSTs provide....and also when set up correctly the 2Box hats, perform every bit as well as any Roland I've played...including the VH12/13.

mrallgood101

REALLY?? That's a very impressive statement, fulrmr. And I can't argue that because you're speaking from firsthand experience. I've yet to hear the 2Box hi hats when modified. I've only played the 2Box hi hats on a Sam Ash floor model, and it just didn't feel natural and smooth to me. The sample sounding hi hat sounds great.... but the dynamics, playability and mechanical-integration just felt like...like I had to think about playing the hi hat, instead of just playing it. Especially when opening the hi hat. I dunno. Maybe it was the floor model.... or perhaps even me lol. I guess I won't know until I play a Jman mod. hi-hat. 

giusfre

This is also my idea!
I found the Roland TD30 triggering way better than the 2Box (I use Drum-Tec diablo pads) but sounds (expecially snares) of samples are way better than the rolands.
I'm still trying to obtain a good response in dynamics with the 2Box module but still haven't had good result. I found very little different in volume levels from the quietest hit to the loudest. The sound are different (samples are from SD2 and BFD3) but the volume level is quite similar: that is not good!
I will try (first of all) only with snare: I have to chose from midi (TD30 to 2Box), Y-cable or putting a trigger on the diablo snare for the 2Box module.
If I will not obtain a good result I will definitely sell my 2Box module with expansion slot card and lots of GB's of samples.

fulrmr

I believe that the overall issue for the feel and triggering will come from a combination of the type of stand, correct setup at the module and sample pool being used. Most floor models will probly not be tweaked for optimal play and since 2Box is not the "cash cow" that Roland is, I would venture to say that no one there has spent the appropriate time to figure out the system much less set it up correctly. Also IMO I didn't like the "feel" of the rubber pad in general(albeit I'm not a rubber cymbal fan anyway) but the best part is that the versatility of the gear allows you to chose a 3rd party pad that better suits you. I even used a control box mod and and simple "Y" cable to split the VH-13's pad to trigger both the 2Box and the TD-30 simultaneously for my hats and mixed them at the console. When panning back and forth between the 2, the 2Box had every bit the nuance that the TD-30 did but with the added bonus of sounding so much better. One could even blend the 2 for a "custom" tone and playing experience also. IMO this would be great to add more "realism" to the TD-30 sound in general even for the rest of the kit. I used separate triggers on the other pads for this process also.

With all that said, I myself, would never just ditch the 2Box module ever solely for the TD-30.( in fact I didn't) ;) For me it has way too many points on which it just lays the TD-30 to waste, price point and sound being the largest factors. I look at it this way, for it's first incarnation, 2Box has simply done what no other company has seemed to be able do in the past....come from nowhere and excel in the specific areas that Roland, even in all its vast experience,  has ultimately faltered at for years and drummers have been griping about for ages. I can't wait to see what's on the horizon for this system. Frankly though, even if they never produced another thing, this module is a timeless piece of gear that will never become outdated in it's use for the working musician as long as VSTs do not become extinct. :)

So, there you have it. I would venture to say now that as usual..... YMMV. :)