News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Kick drum backing on rubber pads not so strong

Started by mcrackins, April 21, 2014, 07:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcrackins

Kind of a moot point for me as I bought the 682 mesh head set.  I hadn't put the kick head on yet as I was waiting for the KAT ball beater to arrive. I noticed that the plastic backing on the rubber kick pad is cracked in three places after only a month of less than average use. I'm using a felt beater, but was surprised it's already cracked. I'm a fairly heavy hitter, but I've consciously tried a lighter touch on the e-kit.

Anyone else with rubber pads have this happen?

dtothaizzlej

Mine just did this too. I contacted Scott at cymbalism and I believe that Hoshino is sending me a new one. I really thinkthat the new rubber pad kits should come with the tennis ball beaters. I'm just going to put an acoustic head on til I can order tennis ball beaters. It's sad that they stopped offering these though 2box. Hopefully they realize their mistake and come up with a solution soon.

KonaNeil

Just took delivery on my standard, US 2box kit. The manual assumes that the user has the 2box pedals, bass drum beater and mesh heads. It warns that using a felt or "harder" beater will damage the drum head.

Does anyone have positive experience using felt or wood beaters with the rubber heads that are now standard here? If they won't work, what do you recommend?

Is there a '2Box Guru' at Hoshino who answers questions like this? For a marketing company, they sure haven't put much info up on-line.

Jman

Quote from: KonaNeil on June 05, 2014, 11:22:17 PM
Just took delivery on my standard, US 2box kit. The manual assumes that the user has the 2box pedals, bass drum beater and mesh heads. It warns that using a felt or "harder" beater will damage the drum head.

Does anyone have positive experience using felt or wood beaters with the rubber heads that are now standard here? If they won't work, what do you recommend?

Is there a '2Box Guru' at Hoshino who answers questions like this? For a marketing company, they sure haven't put much info up on-line.

Since long before 2Box many of us electronic drummers have been recommending using a beater pad for kick drums. A bass drum patch is inexpensive and protects the head no matter what type of head you use.  One example
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/evans-eq-bass-drum-patch?pfm=sp
or the double like I use:  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/evans-eq-double-bass-drum-patch?pfm=sp
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

hemiboy

I am 100 percent sold on my 2 box module and like it much more than my ex Roland modules,  but I gotta say, I never really heard about many kick drum mount problems, or pad problems, or cymbal-hi hat problems with Roland . I am sure there were some bit not to the extent that 2 box has had. I guess the hardware sitch will be adressed along the way . I have to remember that the 2 box is 1/3 the price of the top of the line td 30 so these little problems will be there

SJC

In the 2box documentation they certainly suggest you use light weight sticks and with most kits shipping with the tennis ball kick beater, it is clear that 2box expect us to use a lighter playing style on this kit. I have made a modification on my kick to reduce the impact on the frame and reduce the impact noise. My kick is the rigid back with LED logo. I have cut a 50mm dia hole in the foam pad behind the LED panel precisely where the beater hits the mesh. This has number of benefits, reduced physical impact transmitted through to the back panel, more flexing of the mesh giving better triggering at lower gain settings, less rebound and bounce, and less ambient noise.