News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Removing snare rim from Drumit Five editor

Started by StudioG4, September 30, 2014, 01:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StudioG4

This is probably a "duh" question but, how do I eliminate the snare 'rim' icon leaving only a snare (as in the factory kits) so that I can get the a snare dsnd to play both the head and rim sound? I added a rim dsnd and now want to remove it. It currently only says <No sound> when I try to delete it.
Many thanks!
Tony G

Jman

Quote from: StudioG4 on September 30, 2014, 01:08:22 AM
This is probably a "duh" question but, how do I eliminate the snare 'rim' icon leaving only a snare (as in the factory kits) so that I can get the a snare dsnd to play both the head and rim sound? I added a rim dsnd and now want to remove it. It currently only says <No sound> when I try to delete it.
Many thanks!
Tony G
This is under the Kit Envelope. You want to press Kit, hit the snare, page down one page. You will see SOUND in the left side of the display window. Press the knob above SOUND until you get ++

here is the manual explanation:

SOUND Here you can specify which zone of the selected sound will be used. Depending on the type of sound, several zones can be controlled. For example, with cymbal sounds, three zones (+ Bell + Bow + Edge) are available, with snare sounds, only two zones (+ Head + Rim). You change the value by pressing the left DATA button. You will be offered all possible combinations sequentially.
Example 1: tom sound: + + = depending on where you hit the pad (head or rim) - the respectively assigned sound is generated
Example 2: tom sound: - + = no matter where you hit the pad, always the rim sound is generated.
Example 3: cymbal sound: + - - = the sound of the bell is always generated.
This feature is helpful if you want to trigger a cymbal on a pad and assign e.g a crash sound on the rim of a tom pad (additional trigger channel (PERC)) and play the bell or the ride on the head.

When I built my first dsnds from VSTs I built separate Head and Rim dsnds, so I ran into the same thing you are asking about when I started building dsnds with the Head and Rim sounds built together in the dsnds.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

StudioG4

Thanks Jman. I will give this a try at the kit tomorrow. By doing what you are suggesting, will the double zone dsnd (zone 3 head and zone 8 rim) be assigned to my snare trigger? I'm looking to get more "crack" out of my snare hits and the way I have it set up now, I don't think I'm getting the rim sound when I hit the head and rim. I was looking at the dkits in the editor and saw that all my recent snares had 2 separate drum symbols for the snare and I can't get the rim sound to happen on the primary snare symbol but when I open my original dkit file in the editor, I see only 1 snare drum symbol and as I hit closer to the edge, the rim sound comes in. Is there any way to get single snare symbol back?
Thanks!

Jman

Quote from: StudioG4 on September 30, 2014, 04:10:09 AM
Thanks Jman. I will give this a try at the kit tomorrow. By doing what you are suggesting, will the double zone dsnd (zone 3 head and zone 8 rim) be assigned to my snare trigger? I'm looking to get more "crack" out of my snare hits and the way I have it set up now, I don't think I'm getting the rim sound when I hit the head and rim. I was looking at the dkits in the editor and saw that all my recent snares had 2 separate drum symbols for the snare and I can't get the rim sound to happen on the primary snare symbol but when I open my original dkit file in the editor, I see only 1 snare drum symbol and as I hit closer to the edge, the rim sound comes in. Is there any way to get single snare symbol back?
Thanks!
If the dsnd was originally built with both Head and Rim in one dsnd it will show up in the 2Box Editor as just a single name on the snare (or tom). If you assign a different rim sound to the rim it will show up in the Editor with the name of the Head and name of the Rim. Also under unit press More and the Snare button and make sure the pad type for the rim is set to RIM.

OK, now here is an example of how to get the snare back to a single Name in the editor. If the snare is a snare built from a dsnd with both head and rim but let's say you changed the rim sound at some point. Let's take the Nasvall 14 snare ... and say it has the Cross Stick 1 assigned to the rim now.
While in the 2Box Editor Click (mouse) on the Rim of the snare, with the rim of the snare (Cross Stick 1) highlighted ... Press the delete key on your keyboard. A popup will ask you if you want to clear that pad, click OK .... Now that snare will be back to the stock Nasvall snare dsnd with Navall head sound on head and Nasvall rim sound on rim.

AndyMo

Hi Jman,

I have been configuring kit variants for an upcoming gig. I wanted to remove a sound I had applied to a tom rim. It wasn't obvious to me so I searched the forum and found your explanation which, of course, worked a treat!

Thanks!
Andy

Jman

Quote from: AndyMo on May 04, 2016, 04:13:39 PM
Hi Jman,

I have been configuring kit variants for an upcoming gig. I wanted to remove a sound I had applied to a tom rim. It wasn't obvious to me so I searched the forum and found your explanation which, of course, worked a treat!

Thanks!
Andy
Cool Andy, glad you found this thread. We've covered a lot of technical questions on the forum, but finding the threads can take a bit of work. J

AndyMo

It's a  superb resource!

Now I need to see if there is a way to troubleshoot rogue triggering on my hihat. I've had the problem for ages. I had the pad repaired (it stopped working completely within warranty and was re-soldered by the UK distributor) but it didn't fix the odd triggers I get now and again.

I tried different stands and removed the felt from my current stand (I read that can make a difference). Unfortunately, I still get loud triggers now and again. It's not consistent but usually kicks in mid way through gigs or rehearsals so perhaps linked with things get a bit more lively.

The problem is the rogue triggers are pretty loud :(

The only scenario I haven't tried is another hihat pad - but I don't have a spare! :-)

I'm still considering going the jman box and other cymbal route (maybe the L80s) but it would be good to get this issue sorted, even if I get an alternative solution in place.

Thanks!
Andy

Jman

Quote from: AndyMo on May 05, 2016, 09:46:41 AM
It's a  superb resource!

Now I need to see if there is a way to troubleshoot rogue triggering on my hihat. I've had the problem for ages. I had the pad repaired (it stopped working completely within warranty and was re-soldered by the UK distributor) but it didn't fix the odd triggers I get now and again.

I tried different stands and removed the felt from my current stand (I read that can make a difference). Unfortunately, I still get loud triggers now and again. It's not consistent but usually kicks in mid way through gigs or rehearsals so perhaps linked with things get a bit more lively.

The problem is the rogue triggers are pretty loud :(

The only scenario I haven't tried is another hihat pad - but I don't have a spare! :-)

I'm still considering going the jman box and other cymbal route (maybe the L80s) but it would be good to get this issue sorted, even if I get an alternative solution in place.

Thanks!
Andy
If the problem you are talking about is something like this:
The Hi Hat sound starts triggering randomly/intermittently when you are not hitting it.
Send me a PM. If I can review your Drumit.dkit file from your module I should be able to tell if it is related to a certain problem/setting I have seen a few times before which actually has nothing to do with the Hi Hat Cymbal itself. J

AndyMo

Hi Jman,

I get extra false triggers when playing the hihat. Extra hits that are very loud.

Should I send you my kit file anyway, in case it helps?

Cheers,
Andy

Jman

Quote from: AndyMo on May 05, 2016, 09:13:11 PM
Hi Jman,

I get extra false triggers when playing the hihat. Extra hits that are very loud.

Should I send you my kit file anyway, in case it helps?

Cheers,
Andy
No, that is different than what I was describing. But just in case it helps, this is an extra tip that I give in my own customer instruction sheets:

The way I set up my HH calibration includes one little step that was included in the earlier operation manual. First
do the HH calibration as explained in the 2Box manual or if you are using my own HH stand conversion kit follow
my instructions. And after doing the calibration: With your foot off the pedal and the HH cymbal in the open spot;
Hold onto the HH rod, and loosen the clutch nut being sure the clutch and cymbal do not move while loosening
...... then raise the HH cymbal/clutch position...... try about a quarter or half inch ..... Tighten that clutch nut with
the cymbal slightly higher like that after calibration ...... For me it makes the HH work much smoother/natural, and
HH foot splashes and foot chicks smoother too.
Here is that original tip from 1.24 manual: Finally fix the hihat at a (possibly higher) open position which suits ones
playing style.

Coda

It sounds like you are getting some zone 9's (which is footsplash, and loud). You can test this theory by playing while watching the hihat page. In the case of DIY hihats, I found that this is a calibration issue, the magnet is too strong, or too close to the sensor when the hihat is closed. I don't know how that translates to a genuine 2box hi-hat though, I assume that's what you're using.

AndyMo

Hi Jman and Coda,

Yes, I'm currently using the 2box hihat. I will try the post-calibration tip (raising the clutch post-calibration) and see if it helps.

Are there any other tips/tricks on hihat config?

I am looking at other options including Jman's mod, Gen16, etc. - for hihat and other cymbals - but I'd like to get my current set up as good as possible before then. I have some gigs coming up where the kit will go through a sizeable PA and those zone 9s could be a tad intrusive! :)

Thanks!
Andy

AndyMo

Hi,

At a band rehearsal last night, the false hihat triggers were really bad.

They were very frequent (and loud).

I checked and redid the calibration routine (and raised the clutch a bit too). Unfortunately, it didn't fix the issue.

I watched the page and as Coda thought, the loud false triggers are 9s (foot spash).

Any ideas?

I'm wondering if the pad is faulty and the fault is getting worse. It was basically unplayable.

With a collection of gigs in June/July, I'm not quite sure what to do.

It may be time to dust off the acoustic kit.

Thanks!
Andy

Jman

Quote from: AndyMo on June 09, 2016, 11:25:38 AM
Hi,

At a band rehearsal last night, the false hihat triggers were really bad.

They were very frequent (and loud).

I checked and redid the calibration routine (and raised the clutch a bit too). Unfortunately, it didn't fix the issue.

I watched the page and as Coda thought, the loud false triggers are 9s (foot spash).

Any ideas?

I'm wondering if the pad is faulty and the fault is getting worse. It was basically unplayable.

With a collection of gigs in June/July, I'm not quite sure what to do.

It may be time to dust off the acoustic kit.

Thanks!
Andy
It's always a good idea to try a new TRS cable first off. Not that it is the problem, but it is simple to test by using a different TRS cable you know is working. Also, ANGR77 mentions the settings he uses for the 2Box HH, he specifically mentions trouble with the Zone 9 on the 2Box HH and his settings that work:

For the bow/edge: -35 and neg1, xtalk?
Pedal: -6 and neg2 (it seems like if setting it too high...the chick starts to interfere with the bow/edge in a very nasty way...

Angr77

If you do determine the 2Box HH is now faulty, even though yours is now out of warranty you might contact handinhand as you have found them helpful in the past. And beyond that, you already know about my solution that allows using almost any Ecymbal for Hi Hat. Hope it helps. J

AndyMo

Thanks Jman!

I'll experiment with the settings. I'll double-check the cable too.

It was definitely far worse at the rehearsal. It's always been a bit of a problem but it seems to be more frequent recently.

Thanks,
Andy