News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hideous buzzing and burnt out components on pcb !!

Started by nmunzi, September 14, 2014, 02:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmunzi

Hi all,

Another newbie here (from the UK). loving my 2box kit and forum is ace.

Just one snag to report and hoping for some of you guys' advice.

Controller started buzzing hideously and has fried components on it's circuit board. Anyone come across this ? Most of the posts I've read seem to be PSU problems.

My PSU still seems fine as it registers AC output ok and the controller still fires up with sounds ready to play on its screen so the OS still loads up no probs. The fried components look to be around what i reckon is the output stage.No other gear in my room had any problems including my computer so it doesn't look like a mains spike !

The only change I've done is to upgrade the SD card to 16gb (I didn't put the extender cable in as I'm not gonna fill it with tons of sounds just yet) and its only about 5.5gb full with just factory sounds at the mo. Everything worked fine until it blew.

I'm quite happy fixing my own gear (it's well out of warranty) including surface mount stuff but hoping that I'm not alone with this problem so I can solve it relatively easily ie finding which components are buggered and where to get them.

Any info on this problem is very much appreciated. Many thanks.

nmunzi

Here's the barbequed buggers !! A 4.7k resistor and a 1nf cap is all I can spot at the moment.

mcrackins

Oh that doesn't look very good.
I haven't seen this type of thing on the forum, but when my PSU bit the biscuit last month, I had a burning electrical smell right at the PSU barrel end input on the module...which was quite concerning.

Fortunately nothing else fried out. Might be an idea to contact 2box directly. They could probably point you in the right direction unless someone else on here can.

Good luck!

Jman

I agree with mcrackins, I think contacting 2Box would be a good idea on this one.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

nmunzi

I was kinda guessing I'd need to contact them. hopefully they'll have encountered this one before saving me a bit of faffing. fingers crossed eh.

Thanks for replying so promptly too. It's good to know there's fellow drummit5 fans out there especially ones as experienced as yourselves.

Cheers, nmunzi

Jman

I have always found 2Box/Bengt to be very helpful.... generally more down to earth than dealing with some of the mega companies. Bengt is actually a great guy...... don't tell him I said that ....  ;) Hope you find a relatively easy solution. Let us know your outcome. Jerry

nmunzi

Thanks man, certainly will do. It's a weird one for sure.
The solution is already gonna involve some surface mount soldering !! Hey ho !!
I'll keep everyone posted though as it will help others down the line :)
Neil

nmunzi

Hi all, time for an update on my burnt out board - it's been ages, sorry.

I got no response from the main distributor here in the UK so I looked up all the components I thought could be knackered and got ready to replace them all.

In the end it was two burnt out components were the only problem. The 4R7K was actually an inductor (not a resistor as I originally thought) and when it fried it took out the 1uf cap with it. I thought it might have been the regulator on the right in the pic but that was still fine.

One happy bunny :) :) :)

Hope all's well with everyone else :)

I just need a 2nd backup unit now so I can use it live :)

Jman

Quote from: nmunzi on March 19, 2015, 04:18:22 PM
Hi all, time for an update on my burnt out board - it's been ages, sorry.

I got no response from the main distributor here in the UK so I looked up all the components I thought could be knackered and got ready to replace them all.

In the end it was two burnt out components were the only problem. The 4R7K was actually an inductor (not a resistor as I originally thought) and when it fried it took out the 1uf cap with it. I thought it might have been the regulator on the right in the pic but that was still fine.

One happy bunny :) :) :)

Hope all's well with everyone else :)

I just need a 2nd backup unit now so I can use it live :)
Any indication what caused the problem? Should you change the AC adapter just to be safe? Or, did it have anything to do with the problem? I've seen posts by others that reported the adapter getting pretty hot and a post about the module needing good air circulation. 

digitalDrummer

I'm shocked that the UK distributor didn't get back to you. It's Hand in Hand, I think, and they're very active with the 2box brand.
Much as I admire your skills and ability to fix it yourself, I'm really disappointed that you had to go that route and I think you should contact them and let them know.
Allan

nmunzi

Hi Allan. Yeah,  I only emailed distributor once and didn't really follow it up as I was already on my own path to sorting it out so no mark on them really. I will just check in with them though just to make sure as I might get something more difficult in the future !

Jman - I think the problem was literally a failing inductor as the panel was always ran a little warm for longer than i can remember and now is cool again !! Just a one off dodgy 20p component. I kept checking the PSU again and again as many of the articles on here said it was a problem but it was/is rock solid ! I even built a majns switching box that fits on the back of the Hi-hat stand with a socket so I don't have to keep plugging it in. I just flick a switch now ! I fit cable ties round it so PSU doesn't wobble out though !

Other things I have found over time is that the bass drum head is so close to the metal case that it touches it and impedes the peizo trigger so I fitted a spacer round the rim - solved. triggers very healthily again.

I also cut a slot in the side of the controller to change cards more easily. I didn't like the long adaptor cable solution. all it then needed was a rubber stopper to keep the card from coming out.

Hope any of this helps others.

Keep rocking !!

Neil

tower of p

Hey Neil!
Would you care to show us your modifications? Not that I would be able to reproduce them, just curious to see!

Rock on!
Lutz

nmunzi

Yeh sure thing, I'll try and take a few pics. Trying to sort some rust out on my camper at the mo while it's still sunny !

nmunzi

Here's some pics of the card slot I made - with only a temporary cover.
I need tweezers to swap cards at the moment but eventually I'll make a handle / holder thingy for each card.

nmunzi

And, some pics of the power switching box I made so it's a bit easier to get going.
I'll fit a filter circuit inside at some point.
Having a mains switch with a light means I know if there's power or not in case of a problem !
I went a bit overboard with the strapping !! Wary of all the vibration it gets. Also didn't fit a euro mains connector for same reason - might vibrate out of the socket !!

Murgen

--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012