News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Erase hidden files ?

Started by mandubien, January 06, 2010, 09:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandubien

Hi guys,

I have a little problem: yesterday I tried to add new sounds and remove some other using my Mac. The problem is now I have corrupted files in the 2box module than don't appear on my Mac. There are kick sample called ._sample_name

I tried to make the hidden files appear in Snow Leopart but they don't appear in the DumIt Five disk.
So is there a specific technique to remove those files, or maybe a backup to factory settings ?

Thanks a lot
Florian

Scottie

Hi mandublen

Have you performed the Boot code 1.30 update?

Thanks
Scott

mandubien

Quote from: Scottie on January 06, 2010, 12:56:28 PM
Hi mandublen

Have you performed the Boot code 1.30 update?

Thanks
Scott

Yes, and I add the samples after the update. Maybe I should try to reload the update, and perhaps it will erase the wrong files ?

Scottie

Quote from: mandubien on January 06, 2010, 02:11:26 PM
Yes, and I add the samples after the update. Maybe I should try to reload the update, and perhaps it will erase the wrong files ?

Hi mandublen

When you boot the Unit up, do you get any other messages on the display?

Thanks
Scott

mandubien

I did not see anything special. But I remember something : when I tried to remove samples from the Mac, it was very long, and the system was almost blocked. So I forced the Finder to quit since the samples seemed to be removed from the module. So maybe they were not totally removed actually.

Orange

Hi everyone,

i have exactly the same Problem:

I added the sample files and two Songs in wav format.
Now every filename of the samples and the songs are duplicated, always with a ._ at the beginning.
I can't see these files in the Mac-Finder.

It looks like that:
._Nasvall_Snare
or
._PlaybackSong

Drumit5: Latest OS (1.02) and Boot (1.30)
Mac OS Snow Leopard 10.6.2

Any hints ?

Scottie

Hi mandublen / Orange

Mandublen are you running Snow Leopard as well? Because i had this ._ issue the other day, and i had just installed SL on my Mac!!
What i did was rename the file on the Unit and moved it to the trash and emptied it. Does this work for you guys?

Thanks
Scott

mandubien

I will try and keep you in touch

Orange

thanks for your answer, but:
how can i rename a file, which i can't see in the finder ?

even with terminal command: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true;killall Finder
the ._ Files are not visible.

mandubien

Quote from: Orange on January 06, 2010, 09:44:46 PM
thanks for your answer, but:
how can i rename a file, which i can't see in the finder ?

even with terminal command: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true;killall Finder
the ._ Files are not visible.

I think he meant renaming in the module, then delete the renamed file in SL. The files beginning with a dot are hidden files in Mac. Maybe that's why we can see them.

Deve Loper

Hi.

Mac OSX seems (sometimes?) to copy ._filename to the DrumIt drive. Why, I don't know.
Any file having the .dsnd extension will show up on the KIT-DRUM page under Drum, and any file with .wav will show up on the KIT-SONG page under Song.

The validity of the file (correct format and header) is checked when it is selected under Drum or Song. If it's not compatible, the sound or song is not loaded and there will just be silence. Doing this format check for all files at start-up would take too much time, so that's why they appear in the list anyway.

Here's a link on how to see hidden files, so you can remove them.

http://www.macworld.com/article/51830/2006/07/showallfinder.html
http://www.macworld.com/article/142884/2009/09/106seehidden.html

Currently there's a limit of 256 files in the file list (.dsnd + .wav).
Each can be max 47 chars long, excl the .dsnd or .wav extension.
So if there's a ._ file for every normal file, some files might not make it in the list.

Also, there can be max 64 folders (incl root folder "/"), even if they are empty.
The complete folder path, like "/folder_1/.../folder_n/", can not be more than 63 chars.

I'll increase those limits in the next OS release.

Deve.

Deve Loper

Two more things.

1st, make sure you have boot 1.30 before doing ANY file copying to DrumIt.

It is advised to run a disk check too. Either by means of selecting Properties:Tools:Check Now on the DrumIt drive, or by running "chkdsk  /f  <drive>:" from a command prompt. For Mac there's probably something similar.

2nd, if you see a strange message when the OS starts like
FAT_S_0512_C_04k
(meaning a FAT with 512 byte sector and 4 kbyte cluster is detected),
you have a Flash drive with the wrong formatting.
Even though this is technically a correct drive format, for the purpose of playing sound files in DrumIt, it's not appropriate (sounds might distort). Unfortunately this might have happened on some units of the first batch.

If you succeeded in updating to boot 1.30 and the you have wrong drive format, you can reformat the drive to FAT32, 32 kbyte cluster and copy back all sound files. If anything fails, contact your distributor.

Deve.

mandubien

Quote from: Deve Loper on January 07, 2010, 09:04:07 AM
Hi.

Mac OSX seems (sometimes?) to copy ._filename to the DrumIt drive. Why, I don't know.
Any file having the .dsnd extension will show up on the KIT-DRUM page under Drum, and any file with .wav will show up on the KIT-SONG page under Song.

The validity of the file (correct format and header) is checked when it is selected under Drum or Song. If it's not compatible, the sound or song is not loaded and there will just be silence. Doing this format check for all files at start-up would take too much time, so that's why they appear in the list anyway.

Here's a link on how to see hidden files, so you can remove them.

http://www.macworld.com/article/51830/2006/07/showallfinder.html
http://www.macworld.com/article/142884/2009/09/106seehidden.html

Currently there's a limit of 256 files in the file list (.dsnd + .wav).
Each can be max 47 chars long, excl the .dsnd or .wav extension.
So if there's a ._ file for every normal file, some files might not make it in the list.

Also, there can be max 64 folders (incl root folder "/"), even if they are empty.
The complete folder path, like "/folder_1/.../folder_n/", can not be more than 63 chars.

I'll increase those limits in the next OS release.

Deve.

Wow, thanks a lot for those explanations ! I will try to make the hidden files appear. I will tell you what happen.

Deve Loper

There's a ".metadata_never_index" file in the root folder of DrumIt.
It is supposed to suppress indexing from Mac Spotlight.
One can leave it there.

Other files with ._ can be removed, incl their folders.

Deve.

mandubien

Quote from: Scottie on January 06, 2010, 09:20:53 PM
Hi mandublen / Orange

Mandublen are you running Snow Leopard as well? Because i had this ._ issue the other day, and i had just installed SL on my Mac!!
What i did was rename the file on the Unit and moved it to the trash and emptied it. Does this work for you guys?

Thanks
Scott

How do you rename in the module the file ? I tried yesterday but it was unsuccessful. And I confirm the ._ files DO NOT appear on SL even if use the terminal or Onyx to see the hidden files. The only way I found is to remove the added files, and the ._ files are also deleted.