News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Roland TD20/30 owners/users

Started by Jaybee, August 18, 2014, 06:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman

Quote from: Jaybee on August 25, 2014, 08:58:14 PM
On another note, how easy is it to load SD2 and/or Addictive drums into the module and how many of these kits can be stored directly in it? I know Jman has a 32g mod he sells. Finally when do you see 2Box releasing Drumit 6?
Unless you delete some files from the original card there is not a lot of room for more. The stock card has approx. 3.52 GB filled. With everything from the original card plus all the new extra downloadable sounds on the 2Box site ... it takes up about 7GB. So with the stock card you would want to backup everything on your computer and load up the best of what you want on the card. Some of the VST kits can be 1GB or more.
SDSE is the way to go for building and loading VST kits, Lustar has built a program that does the job in just a couple mouse clicks. http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=1544.0

As far as a Dumit 6. There have been no rumors or indication about that. One of the things that has been very refreshing to me with the 2Box Drumit Five is there have been several updates, additional sound downloads and continued support of the current model.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Jaybee

Thanks for the reply guys. As I say, I would be looking to buy the 2Box as a complete package. I have read on the internet that the Rims aren't very strong have break easily. Is there any mid you can do to improve the strength? Also how easy is it to install/change parts. I just want to play the pads just like I would an acoustic kit. The only thing holding me back is the stream of problems people have had with the pads in the past. Yes I have seen the famous vid of the car running over a pad but it doesn't really compare to a constant amount of hitting. I had complete confidence in the TD20 pads when I owned that kit. I'm just scared of wrecking the 2Box pads. Come on people. Sell it to me.

Jaybee

Thanks for the reply guys. As I say, I would be looking to buy the 2Box as a complete package. I have read on the internet that the Rims aren't very strong have break easily. Is there any mid you can do to improve the strength? Also how easy is it to install/change parts. I just want to play the pads just like I would an acoustic kit. The only thing holding me back is the stream of problems people have had with the pads in the past. Yes I have seen the famous vid of the car running over a pad but it doesn't really compare to a constant amount of hitting. I had complete confidence in the TD20 pads when I owned that kit. I'm just scared of wrecking the 2Box pads. Come on people. Sell it to me.

Jman

Quote from: Jaybee on September 02, 2014, 02:51:55 PM
Come on people. Sell it to me.
Oh, .... you want people that will sell it to ya ......  :)
Here ya go:
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?board=6.0
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Murgen

Honestly, the after-sales service from 2Box is the best in the world. They do not mind to send spare parts when you need them. They even send me another hihat to test without charge. Of course I send mine back but it was not broken.

I don't do many rimshots/clicks but so far my pads never let me down. For 2 years and 4 months now.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

mcrackins

Quote from: Jaybee on September 02, 2014, 02:32:29 PM

Jaybee, I'm a hard rock and Pop Punk drummer. I've always had people tell me how hard I hit. I was once banned from renting cymbals from a music store chain as I cracked about 6 cymbals I rented in a span of a year. One time on a European tour I had brought along to brand new Sabian Heavy crashes. I cracked both of them 2 weeks into the tour. I play with 5a sticks. I'm using the 682 Mesh heads and they are "very" rugged and durable. I hold back on the cymbals when striking, but not the pads/heads. I haven't seen any issues with the pads at all. The rims themselves are quite rugged.

ashFromCov

Hi all, I'm new here and can too confirm that the 2box kicks the arse out of the td range. Currently using 2box module and cymbals with a jobeky fitted tama kit and it works very well!. Zed triple heads on drums also...

hemiboy

Are you in the US?  I am. Want z ed trips b shopping to t r us might be stupid

Jaybee

Hi guys, I'm still undecided about a TD30KV or the 2Box. I know the 2Box sounds better but Roland Hardware is really good quality. I spoke to a drum store here in the UK. They told me that they don't really sell many 2Box kits and recommended the 2Box kit for studio use only. They said I would be better off with a Roland TD series for everyday practice. Having previously owned the TD20, I have full confidence in Roland pads and cymbals. Also, is it possible Roland may offer updates more easily to the module, thus improving on the sounds? I guess I can also run VST's if required! My head is saying 2Box kit but my heart is saying Roland. I just don't want to keep replacing broken parts. Please help! Totally confused.

tower of p

Hi Jaybee

Why don´t you go for something like this if you´re not sure about the 2box hardware?
http://www.drum-tec.de/drumtec-series-diabolo-2box-rock-p-2027.html?language=en

I play lots of metal on my stock-2box kit (including 2box hardware). My heavy and exessive rimshots broke the snarepad-rim  a few times. the 2box-service replaced it without problems. nevertheless I bought an additional drumtec-diabolo snare (a regular snare with metal rim).
the rest of the 2box hardware is ok, still roland hardware and pads are better in terms of stability and endurance I guess.
my 2box-hihat had one broken solder joint a few weeks ago (after almost 2 years of daily hitting). but it was repaired in a minute by the local hifi-guy in my town.

imho, whatever module-updates roland will make, it will never (!) sound as good as the 2box as long as they don´t start using multilayer-samples.

cheers!

Murgen

Listen, whatever they tell you in stores, it is usually based upon their profitmargins. 2Box is just great, hardware and software and like we all told you several times, you can easily use different hardware. It is about the module. And How many times do I have to repeat I have been banging away on my kit with 2B sticks without having any issue since May 1st 2012?

What do you really want to hear? Complaints, problems?

Please follow your heart, buy Roland and forget about 2Box.  ::)
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

Just for the sake of saying it I'll add...Roland won't be "updating" anything soon...easily or for free like 2Box does also. If you have lots of money to blow and just have to have overpriced synthesized drum simulations instead of the versatility of real drum samples just because the hardware seems to be good quality...then by all means Roland fits the bill.  ::) Otherwise there are many less expensive "quality" options to accompany the 2Box module if the full kit doesn't do it for you....including some used Roland gear.  ;)

AndyMo

Hi Jaybee,

I'm based in the UK too.

My recommendation - if it works geographically - is to visit Wembley drum store (http://www.wembleymusiccentre.com/centre/drum/default.aspx). Last time I travelled there to try out a TD30, they said they were getting 2box kits in stock. I see them listed on the website, so you should hopefully be able to try them side-by-side.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Andy

ashFromCov

Best thing I ever did was to buy and send a tama silverstar shell pack into jobeky drums for a full conversion , then link it up with the 2box module, I use it in my studio for tracking drums via midi straight into ssd4 in pro tools , also recently started taking it out live... Plays like a real kit because it is a real kit (only with mesh heads and 2box cymbals) sounds great and feels great,! The whole thing cost less than 2k but it kicks the sh*te out of any other  electronic setup I've seen(and owned).

hemiboy

I am real  happy to  hear another pleased

2 box owner  shout it out! I was hesitant before I bought my module an s I was totally Roland brainwashed. Not anymore!