10" fsr tom trigger mounted in 22" kickdrum on a plywood board

Started by Devious123, June 14, 2014, 03:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devious123

10" on head fsr tom mounted on plywood board with some curtain brackets that I cut in half with my dremmels 1" diamond disk at 30 thousand rpm's. I had to bend the bracket at the first bend some, in order to get the profile to match the triggers.

fulrmr

Nice use of the "onHead! How does it feel in comparison to mesh?

Devious123

My picky drummer friend had issues with the onhead ebd that i bought, cause he said it was too bouncing. I have another kick drum version that had something similar with a inhead on a snare, which was attached to a plywood board similar to this, that he liked do to the higher tension in the drum head that he likes. Before i mounted this i checked the tension of the kick/snare/inhead version, and they seemed similar to this onhead rubber rebound. When i was finished, and he was able to test it out, he said it was except able. The next day he said he said he really liked it. We changed from the inhead to the onhead version was because I wanted to try it out looking for a more quite solution.

I made a slight miss calculation when putting this on the drum. I didn't have a drum skin ring in between the drum shell and the ground, while i was locating the holes fro the plywood, so the onhead sits back about 1/2" more then it should. My drummer didn't seem to notice it much.

Note for some reason that I'm not sure i had to lower the input gain on the inbox to almost nothing, Probably some where a round 1 or 2, or i would get double triggers. I wonder if i got to much pressure from the brackets on the sensor layer in between the rubber and the 1/4" backing board, or it could be just the onheads don't like to be vertical for what ever reason. Ofcourse the inhead mounted on the snare when vertical didn't have any issues, so there must some pressure from the brackets on the sensor layer. I might have to bend the brackets away from the layer someday.

digitalDrummer

A word of warning: I don't think this design is going to work out in the long term, mostly because of the constant impacts on the same spot. FSR is basically a printed circuit and I don't think it will hold up to constant pounding - which is why Aquarian doesn't use this design with its inHead/onHead kits. Instead, Aquarian uses a small piezo-based trigger solution for kick drums.

fulrmr

Quote from: digitalDrummer on June 15, 2014, 10:29:18 PM
A word of warning: I don't think this design is going to work out in the long term, mostly because of the constant impacts on the same spot. FSR is basically a printed circuit and I don't think it will hold up to constant pounding - which is why Aquarian doesn't use this design with its inHead/onHead kits. Instead, Aquarian uses a small piezo-based trigger solution for kick drums.

Yep...totally forgot about this. Looking forward to see how long it lasts.

edtc

maybe the fact you had the on head mounted off-center is a luck... you could turn it a bit sometimes to preserve the contact point from beeing hit at the same area ...

try also to place a thick fallam patch ... maybe this will help to make the trigger less hot ...

digitalDrummer

Quote from: edtc on June 16, 2014, 08:37:03 PM
maybe the fact you had the on head mounted off-center is a luck... you could turn it a bit sometimes to preserve the contact point from beeing hit at the same area ...

try also to place a thick fallam patch ... maybe this will help to make the trigger less hot ...

Wherever you turn it, the beater will still be hitting FSR circuit. It's not like a piezo that you can offset.

edtc

each time  you turn it , the beater will touch another spot of the fsr ... dont you think it will last longer this way ?