News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hot cymbals

Started by docadiddle, June 09, 2014, 02:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drumaster

Hello everyone,

I know it's an old topic but I have the same issue and it seems to be cymbal-related. I have 3 original 2Box cymbals and one particularly meets this issue. I reach 0dB (max hit level) as soon as I hit it just a little bit, even with gain and curve to the lowest. It's very annoying. Even my other 2 cymbals have this issue, but much less.

So I'm thinking about buying some Yamaha PCY-155 cymbals as they seem to be the best (about feeling, triggering, durability, right?) and one of the cheapest e-cymbal on the market.

docadiddle > Have you solved your issue? If so, how?

Thanks a lot.

welshsteve

Quote from: StudioG4 on August 10, 2014, 07:11:53 PM
Thanks Jman, I will give this a try and report.

This is an old topic but I wondered if you ever got it sorted. I notice latency when playing live, at home in a quiet setting, never, or almost never as I cannot be 100% about it. Live, it happens frequently. So I wondered if you got it figured out.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

AndyMo

Interestingly, I have experienced more latency in live situations. I thought I was going mad (quite possible!) but I am sure I have had more latency live than at home. I had some theories about positioning of my monitor - could that be somehow interfering or triggering something. I've noticed it on my snare too, which is close to the monitor, which promoted my random theory - which is probably absolute nonsense. Through headphones though, I rarely have issues. It's live, unfortunately, where things get troubling for me.

edtc

hi

in live situation you described , it s normal you have more latency than with headphones...

- Distance from monitor : if the monitor is 1 meter far , you'll get 3ms ...
- if it s a digital mixer you will get additional latency ... between 2ms and 10ms depending if it s an old desk , or if you have a lot processing on the chanels ... A recent midas pro2 for example , can have a max latency 9ms if you insert all plugins available ..

That s why i allways recommand E-drummers to have a  small analog mixer for their own use .. 
You plug your drum in it , and on another channel you can recieve a line from the monitor desk with a mix of  the other musicians ...

welshsteve

I notice latency but only on certain channels, snare or ride most notably. But it could be argued that its that which is being played when the desk delays the sound.
I will try on the next gig by having drums in the headphone mix of the module from the module, filter out and drums down the auxes which plug into the aux in of the module and see if that makes a difference. We do have a digital mixer, a Behringer X18 air.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Coda

I don't listen to the drums from the desk, those channels are muted in my monitor (on the desk). I use my headphone socket on the module to listen to my drums directly which is mixed with a mono monitor send from the desk. We use a digital Mackie and I can control my monitor settings with my iphone (it's very useful for individual monitor setups when everyone has the Mackie app on their phone).

One thing to watch... if your house electrics are not great, I am 75-85% convinced that this can cause latency issues on the D5. I am not sure why yet, but I have noticed it with a spare PSU I built for the practice room which is on the limit for supply current. I forgot my 2box PSU once before a live session, lesson learned - I built another one and keep the original in my suitcase at all times!

ANGR77

Hi!

If running the Drumit Five on 1.3.0.3 version it is extremely important to keep it in the "kit" mode...not unit mode. (Which occasionally could cause latency)

I have also noticed if any trigger is wrong configured...like a two zone cymbal is running in the 2box 3 zone cymbal. Or a 2 zone piezo/piezo drum pad is running in a piezo/switch setting...this could also cause nice latency.

I think also the 2box cymbals generally are too hot!

Interesting about the PSU issue...and weak power on stage.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com / hi-hat conversion modules for 2box
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Coda

Quote from: ANGR77 on April 13, 2017, 07:09:06 PM
If running the Drumit Five on 1.3.0.3 version it is extremely important to keep it in the "kit" mode...not unit mode. (Which occasionally could cause latency)
Interesting. I sometime run on the unit page but not often because I sometimes need to change kits in a set. But, sometimes when I'm not confident in the hi-hat, I leave it set on hi-hat hped page so I can see what the module thinks my foot position is.
QuoteI have also noticed if any trigger is wrong configured...like a two zone cymbal is running in the 2box 3 zone cymbal. Or a 2 zone piezo/piezo drum pad is running in a piezo/switch setting...this could also cause nice latency.
Interesting 2. From the beginning I've been running DIY brass with a single piezo in the bell for 1z crashes and splashes and 2z rides. While the splashes and crashes are set up as CyEdge the Ride's always been set up as a Cym14, which has enabled me to have bow/bell with a single piezo. I wonder now, if this has caused the odd latency issue, especially as these large rides are hard to dampen and often retrigger the long decaying sounds. I added an edge switch yesterday so I can crash it, so I'll have to pay more attention to latency.