News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Midi setup for DrumitFive

Started by hdevr000, January 02, 2010, 10:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hdevr000

Hello people, I am new to e-drums and I hope I made the right decission to buy the DrumitFive (so far so good)
I am curious how to start using midi on it but I am completely new to this. Perhaps more people on the forum have the same curiosity which midi device to buy
and which software to use.

1. Which midi device with low latency
2. Minimal and maximum computer specs
3. Which software works well
4. Perhaps a guide would be nice!

Who starts?

Dr.Wu

My favourite drumsoftware is EZdrummer and Superior2 from Toontrack.
The first one is supereasy to use and comes with great sounds out of the box. The later offers far more tweaking possibilities but is harder to use. You really need some mixing skills to get the best out of that.
My hope when i bought the Drumit5 was that there will be a possibility to import the EZdrummer kits into the Drumit5 hardware so i can play those sounds with minimal latency and no need for a computer.

hdevr000

This means that the files must be loaded into the DrumitFive and I think Ezdrummer has a copyright for these sounds right?
Other than that......if you have Midi you can record your own songs as well or is it better to use the output and put them through to your PC?

Plus what other options does MIDI have>?

wbrs

If you were thinking of using drum software as suggested by Doc Wu what would you be listening back on? Do you have an audio interface?

Dr.Wu

Its true that the EZdrummer stuff is copyrighted so they would need to set up some deal for that. Something that was part of the PR talk at the Frankfurter Messe when i first saw the Drumit5 2 years ago.
Regarding the computer-i am using a Macbook for EZdrummer. Comes with a built in audioout of decent quality.

NeilC

Hi there!

Well if you're new to it, then asking your questions opens up a whole lot of possibilities!

My setup is

Cubase SX3 (this is a host application similar to ProTools, Logic, Ableton and enables you to record and playback MIDI and audio. The differences between recording your drums as audio or MIDI is once recorded audio it is quite difficult to edit if you make a mistake, it can be done but is a lot harder than if you record in via MIDI. Cubase and other apps let you edit each midi note, so for example if you were playing and you hit the wrong crash or forgot to change to the ride, you can select that instance and drag it to the correct midi note. You can also quantize your playing. If you have an interface with MIDI in and out you can connect to your PC so that it plays back the sounds on your Drumit5. You may need a little mixer if you are planning on using pc sounds and your drumit sounds.

As Dr. Wu said - EZDrummer/Superior Drummer and also BFD (this is a bit more in depth and quite confusing if never used before). As previously mentioned the Toon track products out of the box are fantastic! Again these can be standalone applications (so wouldn't need Cubase) but is also a VSTi so can be used as a virtual instrument in Cubase.

There is also Groove Agent but have never used this with eDrums.

Most interfaces have low latency these days but for decent cheaper ones try MIDIMan (if they still exist), M-Audio, EMU, RME... most incorporate decent audio ins/outs but you can get dedicated MIDI ones.

PC specs, well you will need something like a dual core, 2-4GB RAM, a fast Hard drive and pref seperate one for samples.... But you are heading into a massive arena in terms of specs etc...

I would have a read of the articles on www.soundonsound.com - some need a subscription which I can let you log in as me if needs be. Check their forum and also search the articles!

hdevr000

Thanks for the big reply!
I am planning to get started with MIDI and saw some MIDI IN and MIDI out cables (usb) on the Internet.
Are these worth the money and what are the disadvantages (latency etc.) or is it better to buy a dedicated MIDI module if you don't have a powerfull PC?

Thanks again,

HJ

Dr.Wu

if the only thing you want to connect with the computer is the drumit5 then a simple usb/midicable will do.
Its a shame that the USB port on the module cant transmit MIDI but so be it.
You only need a more expensive midi converter box if you want to connect more things simultaneously like a keyboard and some more modules or drummachines.
MIDI signals dont tax your CPU dont worry about that.

hdevr000

Thanks,
You have experience with a good USB-MIDI cable brand? I read on the Internet sometimes there are problems with the USB drivers.

NeilC

Yeah the Doc is right MIDI isn't taxing on your CPU but the applications you use may be!

The MIDI (on Drumit) to USB (on PC) will work but not the other way round...

I can't fault M-Audio: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=midiinterfaces

(other interfaces are available)

westerlu77

I have a problem with midi and usb-to midi cabel, I try to connect drumit to logic and it's respons quiet weird, it's late all the time. I connected a digital piano the same way with no latency. I tried to play with the buttons direct on the module and it's responsed better but when you change pad it change first after one extra hit, so if you play 4 kick and then 4 snare the first one who should sound snare sounds kick.?

NeilC

Hi Westerlu....

I'm afraid I only used Logic once, then got scared and ran away... (always used Cubase - its one or the other!) so I can't help you specifically...

Points to note are:
make sure you have latest driver installed for cable
have a look at the settings (in Logic) to see if the latency is set too high (ie make sure the buffer settings are low whilst recording)
try and borrow another interface?

Sorry if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs...

There might be some logic users on here who could help more...

westerlu77

The strange thing is that I didn't change any settings at all from 2box to digitalpiano and still it behavior different. No other cables either.

NeilC

It might be device specific then... Maybe Scottie will be able to shed some light...

drew

Frankly, even if oyu do get SD samples loaded on your module, for recording it's best to use a MIDI connection rather than one of the audio outs. Firstly, as someone else points out, editing mistakes is much easier with a MIDI recording than an audio one, but more important to me is that it gives you many more options for mixing and effecting later. You can, of course, assign three sets of sounds to your audio outs, *if* you have three sets of audio ins on your computer's audio hardware, but with MIDI, you can edit on a per-drum basis with only one cable. And, it's a digital (and thus lossless) connection, whereas with analog the quality of cable you use becomes an issue. Not an important one, I grant you, but even so, it's one more thing, and why worry about it when you can get the exact same sound with better customization at (slightly) higher quality? Then, of course, you can audition different kit setups without having to re-record the performance... MIDI is awesome, and makes your life simpler whenever you can use it.